Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This company is a start-up and looks to focus on dirt bikes but have a very interesting product offering. I have had bikes with combined braking and liked it a lot. This product lets you turn it on and off and also use the rear brake just like normal. You are able to adjust the front to back ratio.
Pricing looks very reasonable for what they have available now, they need some order requests to build a unit for the AT.
I am not involved in this in any way but thought it was an interesting product. What are your thoughts on this, is it a plus or a minus on a bike like the AT. This seems to be a simple bolt on product does not effect ABS in any way.

Combined Brake Controller

·
Registered
97 Posts
This company is a start-up and looks to focus on dirt bikes but have a very interesting product offering. I have had bikes with combined braking and liked it a lot. This product lets you turn it on and off and also use the rear brake just like normal. You are able to adjust the front to back ratio.
Pricing looks very reasonable for what they have available now, they need some order requests to build a unit for the AT.
I am not involved in this in any way but thought it was an interesting product. What are your thoughts on this, is it a plus or a minus on a bike like the AT. This seems to be a simple bolt on product does not effect ABS in any way.

Combined Brake Controller
I would buy one right away but I have been burned so many times on Kickstarter so many times with things never coming to production or being absolutely useless.
I have a 2016 DCT.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally see no need for such a thing. Reading the website it seems to me like its trying to solve a problem that really does not exist. Modulating the rear brake is not hard to do.

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
I personally see no need for such a thing. Reading the website it seems to me like its trying to solve a problem that really does not exist. Modulating the rear brake is not hard to do.
That is called a crowding-funding opportunity. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that depends on the rider and how you ride, a large number of enduro riders install a rear brake lever on left hand grip not so much on MX bikes. These guys seem to be more Enduro than MX.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess that depends on the rider and how you ride, a large number of enduro riders install a rear brake lever on left hand grip not so much on MX bikes. These guys seem to be more Enduro than MX.
That is a very different use case and the product mentioned in this post would not at all be applicable. You would use a hand rear on really seep downhills where your foot might be off the peg. Difference here is its not at all linked to the front brake, they are completely independent. The last thing you would want to do on a steep downhill is grab front brake at all.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a very different use case and the product mentioned in this post would not at all be applicable. You would use a hand rear on really seep downhills where your foot might be off the peg. Difference here is its not at all linked to the front brake, they are completely independent. The last thing you would want to do on a steep downhill is grab front brake at all.
If you watch there video on the site that's exactly the use case they are showing a steep down hill grade on loose shale on an Enduro bike

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you watch there video on the site that's exactly the use case they are showing a steep down hill grade on loose shale on an Enduro bike
Still not convinced. I have been riding dirt like that for 40 years and experience tells me that front brakes are not what you want in those conditions. Too much of it and you will end up hitting the ground hard. If I was rising that hill I would have been on the pegs the entire time and using throttle and rear brake only to get down the hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still not convinced. I have been riding dirt like that for 40 years and experience tells me that front brakes are not what you want in those conditions. Too much of it and you will end up hitting the ground hard. If I was rising that hill I would have been on the pegs the entire time and using throttle and rear brake only to get down the hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And I am not trying to convince you as I thought it would probably apply to road use more anyway, just an interesting development.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Agreed Skip. This is a road application. Off road has way too many different conditions for a single bias setting on a two wheeler. Like JB822 points out above.

Also, if we're just using it for the road then a front-to-rear bias adjustment is desirable. My Yamaha FJR has dual braking on the rear brake lever. It isn't adjustable though so hard stops in wet vs. dry have different dynamics. It would be nice to be able to adjust those out. Alas, Yamaha figures one size is better than none. They're right of course.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Agreed Skip. This is a road application. Off road has way too many different conditions for a single bias setting on a two wheeler. Like JB822 points out above.

Also, if we're just using it for the road then a front-to-rear bias adjustment is desirable. My Yamaha FJR has dual braking on the rear brake lever. It isn't adjustable though so hard stops in wet vs. dry have different dynamics. It would be nice to be able to adjust those out. Alas, Yamaha figures one size is better than none. They're right of course.
I had linked braking on my VFR800 when i had it. I hated it on the street. It was fine for touring or in town putting around but i despised it once the pace picked up to spirited in the twisties. If the link was only front to rear it would have been fine but because using the rear also applied the front i personally think it was dangerous. Any time you were in serious twisties and needed to trail brake thru a decreasing radius corner it would cause chassis upset and in more than one occasion it almost caused me to dump the bike. The last thing you ever want to do with a bike leaned over is apply front brakes, its a great way to lowside the bike. I ended up buying a removal kit for it and if i ever bought another VFR i would do the same before i ever rode it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had linked braking on my VFR800 when i had it. I hated it on the street. It was fine for touring or in town putting around but i despised it once the pace picked up to spirited in the twisties. If the link was only front to rear it would have been fine but because using the rear also applied the front i personally think it was dangerous. Any time you were in serious twisties and needed to trail brake thru a decreasing radius corner it would cause chassis upset and in more than one occasion it almost caused me to dump the bike. The last thing you ever want to do with a bike leaned over is apply front brakes, its a great way to lowside the bike. I ended up buying a removal kit for it and if i ever bought another VFR i would do the same before i ever rode it.
Good point JB. I don't mind the FJR's interconnect because I am nearly always on both brakes whenever riding seriously. And since the FJR only applies rear braking to one of the two front disks, I can modulate my front brake input to match the needs of the moment. It really is only the bias I wish I could manage when needed and that is usually because conditions are markedly different than they were a bit ago. In my experience it has never yet gotten in my way.

·
Administrator
1,755 Posts
I agree with you on the front to rear only. My KTM 1190 had front to rear linked. The rear brake, when operated by itself worked independently. I did like that setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with you on the front to rear only. My KTM 1190 had front to rear linked. The rear brake, when operated by itself worked independently. I did like that setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
That is how the BrakeButt system works front to rear only and thats adjustable, there is no linkage to the front when you apply rear brake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts