Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a tell me which is better because I am not bright enough to make up my own mind nor is it a trash one bike or the other thread.

I really like the F800GS. In fact I have one. But I really don't like the power of the bike and specifically the torque output. I know the AT has a bit more peak hp but according to a dyno run I saw when someone compared the AT to the F800GS to the Tiger 800, it looked like it had a lot more grunt down low. This would be real handy for passing other vehicles and the like.

So if anyone with experience on both the AT and F800GS can offer a power comparison that would be cool.

NC

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why would you?

Only joking....... yes, the AT has more mid range torque which is particularly noticeable if you carry a pillion. I traded up from a 650 V Strom largely for that reason. I've also owned a Tiger 800 and ridden the F800GS. Both are lighter that the AT and have plenty of top end power, but the AT scores in the mid range, which, for me, is a more useful characteristic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you?

Only joking....... yes, the AT has more mid range torque which is particularly noticeable if you carry a pillion. I traded up from a 650 V Strom largely for that reason. I've also owned a Tiger 800 and ridden the F800GS. Both are lighter that the AT and have plenty of top end power, but the AT scores in the mid range, which, for me, is a more useful characteristic.
I wonder if the AT is really that much heavier than the F800GS? Certainly the engine on the F800 is quite a bit narrower but given the Honda's lower seat height, maybe the F800GS motor is tall and skinny whereas the AT is short and fat. Supposedly the DCT model does weigh about 30 pounds more than the regular model but I prefer to row my own gears anyway.

Thanks for the input folks.

NC

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an AT and rode a couple F800's for a while as my buddies rode my AT. My impression of the F800 was that the power was pretty tame, thus there's some forgiveness. They loved the AT and said it'd be their next bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I test rode a f800gs and I have to say that it was a fairly good bike. The engine is very smooth and without much in the way of surprise (to be polite). I think they look alright too and I would of bought one as well if I hadn't run into the white tri-colour AT that was on display. The AT is definitely much more lively to ride. It makes me wonder to if BMW are going to do a major update to the F800gs to make it more appealing. Man if only I had unlimited money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The F800 must be entirely gutless because the AT is mild to ride. Not gutless but far far from a KTM990 (or later)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spy photos of the replacement for the F800 are making the rounds on the internet. I don't want to buy the first year of any bike and even with the Earthquake that hampered production, I still fell like the AT has had a couple years to work out the bugs. If the AT is mild to ride then the F800GS is extra mild. I don't mind the bike having such a bland power delivery but if the AT isn't quite a bit torquier, I'll be disappointed. It should be since it is a brand new 1000 cc twin. I don't care about peak HP which is what BadJuju may have been referring to. I am thinking about 4th gear at 3,500 rpm and having the bike be able to pass another vehicle pretty easily. I am sure it will.

NC

·
Registered
96 Posts
The F800 must be entirely gutless because the AT is mild to ride. Not gutless but far far from a KTM990 (or later)
It's plenty lively when you are trading up from a 50 hp 650cc single. Interestingly just out of curiosity I google the f800gs and BMW Australia is selling the adventure model at pretty much the exact same price as my AT cost $18000.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's plenty lively when you are trading up from a 50 hp 650cc single. Interestingly just out of curiosity I google the f800gs and BMW Australia is selling the adventure model at pretty much the exact same price as my AT cost $18000.
I think it is because there is a new model coming out and with the AT being the latest and greatest they have to discount the adventure model to make it more competitive price wise. It does have a large tank but filling that rear tank with dry bags on the rear seat is a little bit difficult. Especially if you are on a remote run and stop every 100 miles when you see a gas station and it may be your last for some distance.

NC

·
Registered
63 Posts
Right. It's relative. Coming off my R1 I thought I had made a HUGE mistake. Still getting used to it. Have to remember that the AT isn't SUPPOSED to be fast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Right. It's relative. Coming off my R1 I thought I had made a HUGE mistake. Still getting used to it. Have to remember that the AT isn't SUPPOSED to be fast.

Never mind mate you can still do wheelies just not in every gear. That all the chicks care about isn't it? :grin2:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mate of mine had a ride on my AT.....and bought a 800GSA. He preferred the extra mileage he could get before refuelling and the overall shape and looks of the BM. And the badge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah I had one of the rotax f650gs and that was a great bike. The under seat fuel tank really does make a noticable difference to handling and the 24 liter tank on the f800gs is pretty impressive. BMW parts and servicing is expensive where I am in OZ but. I think about $150 a hour in labor if you go to BMW dealer, which you sort of have to. Honda is not much better ($110) , but still cheaper. The funny thing is that where I live the BMW and Honda dealers are at exactly the same dealership.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 800 I rode had an annoying vibration at 4000 revs (120kph) and looking on the net this was not the only one of this model with vibration problems

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the record, the manual AT is only 5kgs heavier than the GS, develops more power, but more importantly , significantly more torque.
I assume you're talking about the F800GSA which is 232kg fueled, the standard F800GS is 217kg fueled (claimed by BMW). Honda claims 232kg fueled for the std transmission bike and 244kg for the DCT unit. 15kg difference between the std F800GS and the std AT. The F800gs also comes with a centerstand from the factory so the weight is offset a few more kg in it's favour.

Previous to my current manual clutch AT, I rode a DCT AT, 1190R and 2009 F800gs. I put over 90,000km on the F800GS. Did an around the world trip on it covering 30 countries, raced the Desert 100 on it 3 times, did a couple Backcountry Discovery Routes on it, had it for 6yrs. I'm not listing that stuff as, "Look how awesome I am". I posted simply to qualify my statements about the bike.

The weight difference is noticeable, especially comparing the AT to the first generation F800GS which was 207kg fueled (claimed). I weighed mine with pannier racks, skidplate, crash bars, metal hand guards etc and it was 216kg fueled. However, the F8's weight seems higher (1190R feels more top heavy too). The AT's center of gravity feels much lower than anything else I've ridden.

The F8's power is zippy or zingy. It screams up high but is lacking down low. There's no tractoring up things on the F8. By comparison to the 1190 or AT, the F8 feels like a 2 stoke... lots of clutch work required in technical stuff. The Rekluse clutch totally transforms that bike though, it make a HUGE difference in the dirt, highky recommend it for the F800. Side note, I briefly had a Rekluse in my 1190R... preferred that bike with a manual clutch and prefer the manual AT to the DCT.

The F8 was very reliable. Up to the 87,000km mark the only issues I had was a bad grip heater. The bike was part of a CZ chain recall (broke at about 3000km). The stock Exide battery died about the same time. Batteries and chains on bikes... is what it is.

I find the ergonomics of the AT and F8 pretty similar...both too cramped for me at 6'3" (190cm). The 1190R was much better in that regard. Both the AT and F8 are ok once bars with less sweep, some bar risers and pegs move back a bit are added.

The F8 is a solid bike. It's unlikely I'd buy another but I've never both the same bike twice so that's not really knock against it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
As luck would have it, I had to take my mates 800 GSA for a service, so I did the long way home after it was finished.

I was very plesently surprised by how it went. Very smooth, comfy, plenty fast enough, handles well and overall a very nice bike to ride. It has much better aero than the AT and I didn't have any buffeting problems wearing my TourX. If Honda hadn't come out with the new AT, I'd be very happy with one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the record, the manual AT is only 5kgs heavier than the GS, develops more power, but more importantly , significantly more torque.
This is the big reason I want to make the change. Peak HP doesn't matter much but torque for passing is a big deal.

NC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dare to Compare

I owned a F800GS for three years and now own an AT as of April of this year (2017). The fuelling (aka fuel injection) is slightly better on the BMW and it is a more forgiving motorcycle if you find yourself in the wrong gear. On the AT you have to work the transmission more. But that aside I did not focus on power for making a decision to purchase the AT. I have no empirical data to compare the power output between the two. The original poster was looking for a comparison of the the power ranges between the bikes. However I would suggest that purchasing a motorcycle strictly on one metric like power is not a good idea. Like what about reliability, the extend of the dealer network, how good is your local dealer etc etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts