Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, kind of a rant, but I think I have a Rube Goldberg solution, as well.

Sena makes a headset that integrates seamlessly into the slots for a module and controls in the Shoei Neotec 2 helmet. I like the helmet a lot. Sena, not so much.

It is not a great headset. It is not so bad that I want to toss it, though.

I have been using it for a little over 2 years. The battery life stinks; about 6 hours on a good day. However, as the battery is aging, that has become closer to 4 hours, with a very annoying verbal message repeating "Battery Level is Low" in your ear, every 1 minute. This starts at about hour 2 now, even though the stupid thing will go for another hour or two past that point. It is infuriating, and cannot be shut off, other than killing power to the unit.

So, the idea is to replace the tired battery.

Of course Sena is absolutely zero help in this matter, and it would appear that they had a custom size battery commissioned in China for this unit, to keep the main module small enough to fit into the spot that Shoei allowed them.

The specs, as can be sort of seen/figured out from the pictures below:

Automotive lighting Input device Automotive tire Bumper Peripheral

Gesture Finger Wrist Nail Thumb

Calipers Hand Gauge Finger Clock

Lithium Polymer LiPo construction
Standard 2 pin JST connector, positive, negative only.
3.7 v
700 mAH
7.0 mm thick
19 mm wide
53 mm long

The dimensions are firm; there is zero room to exceed them in any direction, inside the unit.

The unit comes out of the helmet easily (installed it a couple of years ago), by using a small flat head screwdriver to press the locking mechanism, then lift out.

The cover of the unit comes off with four small phillips head screws.

Inside there is a printed circuit board, the battery, and a cable to the mic/speakers at each end of the module, with a plastic strain relief that keeps stuff happy.

The battery disconnects from the PC board via standard 2 pin JST connector.

So, it is seeming at the moment, that I cannot easily find an exact size battery that will fit inside the unit.

The original battery is undersized, from a capacity perspective, anyway.

So what's a farm boy to do?

How about buy a battery that is a little over 2x the capacity, notch the plastic cover for an external wire, then silicone the battery onto the back of the helmet, then silcone the wire egress notch. Cover with white tape for a color match, and call it a day. Shouldn't be any kind of battery capacity issue after that.

New external battery weighs about an ounce and a half: Weight: 36g; Size: 34.5 x 52 x 9.9mm(WxLxH) , and isn't all that big to be a total eyesore.

$13 on Amazon: Amazon Battery Link

Ordered (ok, asked wife to buy it) so will post an update afterwards.

This will be the last Sena product I ever buy! $300 disposable headset.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
Pita.

Bummer. Maybe consider putting the alternative new battery in your favorite small waterproof tiny box, 3M VHB tape it to the rear of the helmet for the most clean and durable mount. Also, should the battery turn out to be an import dud (wouldn't be the first time), then you can easily replace it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about plugging the charge cable into a juice pack in your pocket?
Sena, in their infinite wisdom, designed it to either charge or operate, but not both at the same time. POS shuts off if you plug a charge cable into it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pita.

Bummer. Maybe consider putting the alternative new battery in your favorite small waterproof tiny box, 3M VHB tape it to the rear of the helmet for the most clean and durable mount. Also, should the battery turn out to be an import dud (wouldn't be the first time), then you can easily replace it.
Got the GT AIR 2 with the same headset and issues. I think DT and Beowulf are on to something….when I was in the USAF we would wear NVGs on our flight helmets with a battery pack attached via velcro patch on the back of the helmet and power cord attached to the NVGs. This facilitates quick change of batteries and is somewhat rain/splash resistant. I think this is certainly a possible solution and you could recharge one while the other is powering the helmet. Carry multiple batteries for easy swap as well. Good idea fellars. Would love to see your execution.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, new battery is in. 1800 mAH vs. the measley 700 mAH unit that came with the SRL2 unit. Installed and functions great. I suppose that I have done uglier things to a helmet, but usually not intentionally! Battery life should be about 18 hours.

Pics:

old battery and new battery... of course new battery has a different connector.
Circuit component Wood Hardware programmer Electronic component Electrical wiring

but not any more... soldered to mil-stds 😁
Wood Handwriting Flooring Font Hardwood

Wood Floor Wall Flooring Gas

notched the case...
Finger Gadget Nail Wrist Cable

gooped it up with black RTV... fixed first notch that didn't work with wire routing/length.
Automotive lighting Finger Gas Bumper Automotive tire

Best position,without adding more wire length.
Gas Fluorescent lamp Light bulb Bottle Metal

Harbor freight reflector tape. A real thing of beauty.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sports gear

Battery life solved, visibility enhanced!

Automotive lighting Amber Electricity Lamp Gas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently picked up the Interphone U-Com4 twin set for my wife's and daughter's helmets. These pair seamlessly with my Sena SRL2.
Battery life is north of ten hours while my Sena gets 3, maybe 4 at a push.
Reading the posts above, I'm wondering if the Interphone battery pack could power the Sena. The Interphone battery attaches neatly to the back of the helmet and plugs into the U-Com cabling.
I'll get my screwdrivers out over the next few days and see what I can work out.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
I recently picked up the Interphone U-Com4 twin set for my wife's and daughter's helmets. These pair seamlessly with my Sena SRL2.
Battery life is north of ten hours while my Sena gets 3, maybe 4 at a push.
Reading the posts above, I'm wondering if the Interphone battery pack could power the Sena. The Interphone battery attaches neatly to the back of the helmet and plugs into the U-Com cabling.
I'll get my screwdrivers out over the next few days and see what I can work out.
Hey @zoesdad - welcome to the Forum.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts