Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right side (exhaust side) OEM pannier now is a very loose fit. The rubbers are still on the two upper lugs and there is no damage in any of the 3 locating holes. And the rubber bung is still on the footpeg. Dealer has taken a video and raised it as an issue with Honda. But it seems weird to me. The cam operated clamp seems to be operating perfectly well, and shining a torch inside everything looks good. And yet it seems like it's missing the last 10mm of 'bite' that it used to have when locating it.
Anyone else experienced this problem?
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
My right side (exhaust side) OEM pannier now is a very loose fit. The rubbers are still on the two upper lugs and there is no damage in any of the 3 locating holes. And the rubber bung is still on the footpeg. Dealer has taken a video and raised it as an issue with Honda. But it seems weird to me. The cam operated clamp seems to be operating perfectly well, and shining a torch inside everything looks good. And yet it seems like it's missing the last 10mm of 'bite' that it used to have when locating it.
Anyone else experienced this problem?
Mike
Honda replaced my right side pannier for exactly that issue. new one was much tighter, but now has issue with the lid latch lining up properly to close. Really like the panniers, but disappointed in the quality. Honda could have spent just a little more and really built a quality product.

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine is similar - but I bought the panniers second hand. There is definately more play in the exhaust side one - everything is there and intact as yours - and I doubt it can go anywhere but it is a little disconcerting. First time I noticed it after cleaning a few weeks back I though I had not got it back properly - but on checking and double checking I had, so was wondering how I might tighten things up before I start using the bike more as the salt and general shite on the roads fades away. Could it be heat related on that side I wonder ?
John

·
Registered
361 Posts
My right side pannier clamp died on a tipover. I still use the box because it doesn't seem to move at all despite the clamp not firmly closing from below. I have another right-side pannier that was crushed by a hit and run while parked, and this weekend I'm going to try and remove the clamp mechanism from that one and install it on the one currently on the bike.

The OEM panniers look good but are really junk. The corner blocks punch in readily in a tipover, and obviously the clamping mechanism is substandard. Alignment is also a consistent problem. If I damage them again I will likely switch to the Givi Outback Trekker boxes, though I'm not excited about the cost, weight, extra width, or pannier frame mounting requirements.

·
Registered
480 Posts
mike5100 - Going back to your earlier thread. (rubber bungs on end of pillion pegs) The rubber pieces I mention do not sit in the frame holes on the bike but in the top fixed hangers of the actual panniers, they are not readily obvious. They fall out easily and can deform easily and need to be watched. Check if they are still in there, this could be your problem, simple to cure. There is a rubber pull tab on them to hold them in place, the ones you buy as spares now have a longer locating tab to the original fit ones making them much easier to fit and less likely to fall out. Even with the new rubbers, they still can deform as they easily slip out of their recess and get a bit mashed making the fit seem awkward and not quite right. I almost guarantee this is your problem, a very easy cheap fix. I posted about these some time ago and someone asked for a picture of what I was talking about, it’s up here somewhere.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know you did Eltel and a very useful post it was. So that was the first thing I checked and the dealer confirmed all rubbers are in place
FWIW I think it’s possibly a badly designed cam on the lower clamping tooth. I suspect that it only has to wear or distort a little bit and this gets amplified by leverage into a big discrepancy at the business end of the tooth
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
I purchased a new DCT Africa Twin AT early January and have had major problems with many of the original Honda accessories, radiator rubbers falling off, auxiliary lighting cracking on the plastic and the panniers being loose from day one.
The OEM Honda panniers in my opinion are second rate especially compared to the fine quality of the bike itself, the aluminium plate marks at the slightest touch even rubbing it with your bare finger as it seems to have a poor quality matt coating, the fit of the right hand side exhaust pannier is very loose detaching on undulating roads despite the rubbers being in place and the locking mechanism working fully coming detached twice so far, I’ve had cracking in the corners that will eventually make the panniers unserviceable, rather than go through the Honda warranty I decided to replace the RHS pannier at my own expense as I was unsure if this was covered under the warranty, rather than listening to the BS I contacted my suppling dealership to only be told you have to buy them as a pair!!! What a joke in hindsight I’d wished I’d bought proper aftermarket ones that are fit for purpose not the second rate original ones from Honda.

I wrote to Honda yesterday and await a response as it’s a absolute disgrace given their rock sold reputation.

I’ll keep you all posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts