Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've survived 23 years so far without a parking brake on a motorcycle so I was thinking about removing the one on my AT DCT and installing the non-DCT hand guards so they can be closer to my hands (and keep more of the cold out!).

Has anyone considered or actually done this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you remove it, How would you keep your bike from rolling if parked on a hill, since you would not be able to leave it in gear?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you remove it, How would you keep your bike from rolling if parked on a hill, since you would not be able to leave it in gear?
I was taught 24 years ago to park facing uphill and with the back tire against a curb if possible. I've been doing that ever since and never even thought about parking in gear until now! I've also never had the bike fall over while parked. Maybe I've just been lucky.

The things you learn as you get older! :smile2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. It is a barkbuster part. I found someone that had installed barkbusters that had the clutch model.
The parking brake brackets are just extra parts for them and I picked it up from them.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/africa-twin-farkle-fest-with-pictures.1148842/page-168#post-32797521

It reduces the travel of the parking brake lever and it engages the brake switch.
Thanks! That's good to know the barkbusters come with that option. I was leaning toward getting the Storms anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was taught 24 years ago to park facing uphill and with the back tire against a curb if possible. I've been doing that ever since and never even thought about parking in gear until now! I've also never had the bike fall over while parked. Maybe I've just been lucky.

The things you learn as you get older! :smile2:
Many of the places I go don't have any curbs. I use the parking brake a lot of the time because our parking lots, roads, etc are not flat. I have seen more than one bike roll of the stand and fall over because they forgot to put it in gear. Silly, but it happens. And a DCT without the parking brake is a disaster waiting to happen.
Just my humble opinion :wink2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I do use the parking brake on the AT but can never remember leaving any of my other manual bikes in gear. Like Bless the Rains I have never had one fall over from rolling. Perhaps I just always logically parked so as to prevent it without thinking about it. The only time I ever had a bike go over was when it was on the main stand. I parked in a pub car park on a warm day and it just sunk in to the surface. The pub had only just had it resurfaced and didn’t think to leave any warning signs. They paid for the damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts