Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been able to just peel stickers off and using a little bit of rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky residue.

Well I was able to peel the clear "top" stickers off of the actual warning ones easy enough but the two waring stickers appear bonded to the paint. I DON'T want to screw the paint up below the stickers with a heat gun and thought I'd check in here to see if anyone else had tried this and how well it worked?

NC

·
Registered
110 Posts
Used turtle wax bug and tar remover and a washcloth.
Peel them off the best you can with your fingernails first.
Spray it on and let it sit on the glue, wipe off excess as it tries to run down the tank.

It took a few applications and some decent elbow grease, but you can tell its coming off every time.
Came out shiny and clean with no signs of scratches or glue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellow AT enthusiasts. I have always been able to peel them easy enough but these were really stuck on.

I found another hint online from other riders on a different brand of bike but who cares where the technique came from. It is called, "The Hot Wet Sponge Technique." Soak a sponge in hot water and hold it against the decal for five minutes. Those who claim to know maintain the sticker can easily be peeled back along with the sticky residue. There were . . . right!

I re-soaked the water every 30 seconds and after five minutes, the top sticker telling me to wear a helmet peeled right off, with no residue.

Because I cannot leave well enough alone, for the second sticker about improper loading, I heated the water on the stove until the infrared thermometer said 150. I tried the same technique but tried only three minutes with the hotter water but applied for a shorter period of time. It worked but not quite as well. I suspect it was the lack of timing but maybe this sticker was stickier. The decal peeled back just fine but left a residue that required some finger nail polish remover (chemically acetone but in a much easier dispenser than a quart sized can) and some rubbing. A fresh coat of wax and you cannot tell it was ever there.

Because I am still new bike paranoid and have had tank bags leave rub marks in the past, has anyone here tried a clear vinyl 3m type of film to protect the tank for where a tank bag would rub? I am thinking clear bra material that is used on the front of cars. I'll check online but maybe someone here has found a pre-cut piece and can point me in the correct direction.

NC

·
Registered
78 Posts
I peeled the tank stickers off right away.
Mine came right off without any special technique with just a little bit of post removal cleanup required.
Lucky I guess.

I then added a patch of 3M clear on the tank between the filler and the seat where the tank bag would rub.
I also added 3M clear of the lower corners of the tank where my knees grip the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The trick to remove stickers and any residue that remains from any surface is:

1) 1st peal the sticker off simply by using your fingernail...This can be a real pita depending on the sticker type.
2) 2nd use Ronsonol lighter fluid on a clean cloth to remove any remaining sticker residue.

Ronsonol will not hurt any surface (painted, plastic, metal, etc.) and it dries quickly and cleanly.

·
Administrator
3,331 Posts
Mine were pretty stuck on to the tank, but I used some GooGone to get the stickers off. Followed that up with some wax to get rid of the last of the gum and the oily residue of the GooGone. Removing those stickers was an immediate priority after I got the bike home. Exposure to sun and heat can just make the job worse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Goo Gone

I have used a product called Goo Gone to remove any kind of glue residue on many things. I was introduced to this by my doctor after a surgery to remove the glue residue on my skin from the bandages. I used it to remove the stickers from my tank...

look up googone.com (I can't post a link yet)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Used a hair dryer for 3-4 minutes until the stickers and tank were hot to the touch and they peeled off nicely as in the video below. Used a little bit of Goo Gone to clean up any remaining residue. Now my tank is nice and shiny!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I removed the two warning stickers from my ATAS today. Used the hot compress method and they peeled off easily. There was a small amount to adhesive residue and Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish removed it easily...that is magic $hit!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gentle heat with the wife's hair dryer should enable them peel off. Squirt some WD40 to clean up, then wax polish all over. Works every time. It's a shame we have to take delivery of our bikes with inane warning stickers plastered all over the tank...too much bureaucracy and litigation paranoia, methinks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Used a hair dryer for 3-4 minutes until the stickers and tank were hot to the touch and they peeled off nicely as in the video below. Used a little bit of Goo Gone to clean up any remaining residue. Now my tank is nice and shiny!
The hair dryer is the fundamental key!

Reactions: Bless The Rains
1 - 17 of 17 Posts