Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

When you get too decrepit to ride two wheels would you consider a side car, or something else?

• Leadwing trike?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfa Romeo Spider?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am not completely ancient, yet (61), but contemplating what 70's and 80's might look like.

Has anyone thought about, seen, or done a sidecar on an adventure bike?

Not a real fan of trikes, but got to thinking that a Twin set up for "rough roads", like the Ural setup, but with a reliable bike, might be amusing.

I would think the Twin has enough HP to remain amusing, and that there would need to be some serious mods (front suspension), frame welds, etc. to make it happen.

What I wonder is how much off-road performance could be retained?

I don't fully utilize the Twin's off road capabilities, but I do like to take it down the road (ok ditch) less traveled sometimes, and would like to still be able to do that.

One last detail: 29 inch inseam and not a big fan of falling over. Been working on skills for the past couple of years, but hitting some limits.

Gratuitous pic from last trip to Oregon:

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Land lot

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
I think @Beowulf there is immense opportunity to take the lead on such a project.

Just think: An AT that is resistant to napping.

Wut power. :whistle:

= = =

But thinking beyond the box:
  • Never run out of battery juice again. (available spare capacity in the car)
  • Think of all the running lights you could add to the car. The creativity level would be limitless ...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

• You can carry a dawg.
  • You can carry a bigger tool bag (heck, a toolbox!)
  • Forget the tire tubes, carry whole tired rims!
  • Carry more than one 2-4 of beer.
  • Almost never run out of gasoline again.
  • The massive surface area for stickers and labels!
  • Subwoofer: Now that is a Pandora Box discussion.
  • . . .

·
Registered
2017 DCT
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, baby; all that and more! Immunity to napping is tempting!

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
Oh wow - it IS a thing.

@Beowulf - you have your work cut out. This will haunt you for months.

Hammer and Sickle dude seems to be putting them on smaller bikes too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My brother bought an AT in June and ordered a side car for it almost immediately after his purchase. He ordered it from some company out of Seattle Washington. It was supposed to be delivered last month, but the owner of the company can't find anyone to work because they can earn more money on welfare so now the delivery has changed to December. I know the side car costs almost as much as his bike. He bought a AT DCT, but not the adventure sport. I tried to convince him to pay extra for the AS, but he didn't listen to me, and now he is regretting it. I'll try to find out what the companies name is.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool, I would be interested!

Was it DMC sidecars, maybe? Looks like they make mounts and a variety of sidecars that would work on an AT:

So now the thought process:

Would I keep the 2017, low milage DCT that I have owned since new, or buy a new 2022 Adventure Sport, since there are a few bells and whistles on the new bike?

Or switch to a BMW GS, and add a side car?

Decisions, decisions...

Money is not unlimited, but I think I could afford any of those ideas. Just not sure I would enjoy the more expensive options enough to justify the additional bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
metalcarver (I think) on advrider has been riding an AT with side car for a while. He's got a bunch pics in one of his threads.

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
Cool, I would be interested!

Was it DMC sidecars, maybe? Looks like they make mounts and a variety of sidecars that would work on an AT:

So now the thought process:

Would I keep the 2017, low milage DCT that I have owned since new, or buy a new 2022 Adventure Sport, since there are a few bells and whistles on the new bike?

Or switch to a BMW GS, and add a side car?

Decisions, decisions...

Money is not unlimited, but I think I could afford any of those ideas. Just not sure I would enjoy the more expensive options enough to justify the additional bucks.
" ... Sidecar-Beowulf ... " has a certain ring to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I am not completely ancient, yet (61), but contemplating what 70's and 80's might look like.

Not a real fan of trikes, but got to thinking that a Twin set up for "rough roads", like the Ural setup, but with a reliable bike, might be amusing.

I would think the Twin has enough HP to remain amusing, and that there would need to be some serious mods (front suspension), frame welds, etc. to make it happen.

I don't fully utilize the Twin's off road capabilities, but I do like to take it down the road (ok ditch) less traveled sometimes, and would like to still be able to do that.

One last detail: 29 inch inseam and not a big fan of falling over. Been working on skills for the past couple of years, but hitting some limits.

View attachment 66398
My father-in-law is 88 years old and is a certified motorcycling legend. He runs his 650 Vstrom with a hack and he and his bride go all over the dirt roads of Colorado. He fabricated some of the mounting system, which leads me to believe that getting a sidecar mounted to your AT would, at worst, require a little ingenuity/fabrication. Where you may go with it would likely be dependent on the adventure level of your riding partner😉

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'll be turning 60 in January and while I'm in great shape ( wife thinks otherwise) I have though of what will I do when the leg strength or just the overall ability fades. Never thought of a side car before but will keep it in mind for the future.
Why not?

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 66398
I use to have a URAL Gear Up 2014 and love to ride it. My only complain was that a 750 cc and 4 gear box was too small. An Africa Twin with a sidecar is not a bad idea. There is a shop in Buckley that are experts in SideCars DMC Sidecars | Motorcycle Sidecars, Motorcycle Trike Conversions | Sidecar Frames and Accesories I am sure they can build one for an Africa Twin...

·
Registered
2017 DCT
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi @LUIS GUERRERO , for some reason your tips did not come through for me... any chance you could repost? THX!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts