Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if anyone has direct evidence that the 22lb. rear luggage rack limit is indeed that low…. I’m going to be flirting with that capacity as I build a bicycle rack for the 2021 ATAS.

It’s not too late to save me from myself, but the project should be done in the next day or two.

I’m adapting the rack I built for my old V-Storm, but that one relied on the SW-Motech side case bars for much of its strength.

This build will sit entirely on the rear rack from Honda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
David,
While I believe that the rack can hold more weight than 22lbs, the restriction has more to do with having the weight bias high and to the back of the bike, which can create dangerous handling. A number of years ago I was on a long distance tour. A few times a day the bike would get extremely "loose". I couldn't figure it out. Then the light lit up, as the fuel burned and the tank was close to empty the bike would handle terrible, fill with gas and it handled great. Lesson learned. Pack heavy items low and toward the center of the bike.
Dudley

·
Registered
274 Posts
I completely agree with this post. If you get too tail heavy you're not going to have enough weight on the front tire which could result in a tank slapper. Very dangerous....

David,
While I believe that the rack can hold more weight than 22lbs, the restriction has more to do with having the weight bias high and to the back of the bike, which can create dangerous handling. A number of years ago I was on a long distance tour. A few times a day the bike would get extremely "loose". I couldn't figure it out. Then the light lit up, as the fuel burned and the tank was close to empty the bike would handle terrible, fill with gas and it handled great. Lesson learned. Pack heavy items low and toward the center of the bike.
Dudley

·
Registered
19 Posts
David,
Dudley
Maybe eat more cheesecake to help that lower center of gravity :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely noticed the hazard with my V-Stom setup, particularly on slow speed, hairpin turns. However, if the rack can handle the load without cracking, I’ll probably use the bicycle mount two to three times a year as I did with the V-Strom.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would be worried for two reasons. First would be ignoring the engineers weight limitations for the rear carrier for all the reasons made by Dudley and Advart. Second would be your liability exposure by over loading the back, disregarding Honda's weight limitations. In the event you crash and hurt yourself or someone else, your insurance company could refuse to cover you. Oh yeah, and because you posted in a public forum, you've already made your intentions discoverable....I way over think things but I've seen some crazy lawsuits. and settlements.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be worried for two reasons. First would be ignoring the engineers weight limitations for the rear carrier for all the reasons made by Dudley and Advart. Second would be your liability exposure by over loading the back, disregarding Honda's weight limitations. In the event you crash and hurt yourself or someone else, your insurance company could refuse to cover you.
Sobering and sound words of wisdom… I’m just so stubborn.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sobering and sound words of wisdom… I’m just so stubborn.
I love to mountain bike as well Dave and the thought has crossed my mind many times during my rides how nice it would be to have my bicycle with me. The AT lets you discover so many beautiful locations to do other activities as well once you get there.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
I would be worried for two reasons. First would be ignoring the engineers weight limitations for the rear carrier for all the reasons made by Dudley and Advart. Second would be your liability exposure by over loading the back, disregarding Honda's weight limitations. In the event you crash and hurt yourself or someone else, your insurance company could refuse to cover you. Oh yeah, and because you posted in a public forum, you've already made your intentions discoverable....I way over think things but I've seen some crazy lawsuits. and settlements.
There is truth in your words and not far-fetched at all.

Makes me wonder how Californian surfers deal with events involving them carrying their surf board on the side of a motorcycle or scooter?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes me wonder how Californian surfers deal with events involving them carrying their surf board on the side of a motorcycle or scooter?
The setups I’ve seen keep the boards low and to the side of the bike, not hanging far back off the rear tire. So while they probably have their own host of hazards, they probably don’t overload the rear end like the bike rack does.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
The setups I’ve seen keep the boards low and to the side of the bike, not hanging far back off the rear tire. So while they probably have their own host of hazards, they probably don’t overload the rear end like the bike rack does.
Totally agree.

I was thinking more as cross-wind issues associated with surf boards.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Totally agree.

I was thinking more as cross-wind issues associated with surf boards.
I grew up 5 miles from Huntington Beach State Beach so every weekend I was up before dawn with my board tucked under my right arm, riding my Schwinn to the beach with a group of friends. One day my poorly attached handlebar mounted brake lever decided to detach itself while traveling full speed down Newland hill, which ended up in my front spokes. I instantly became superman until I hit the asphalt pavement at which time I became hamburger meat. Elbow and knee ground down to the bone, board destroyed, friends couldn't hang because the waves were good that day. They did call my mom from a pay phone once they got down to the beach....I still have vivid memories of that day every time I ride my bike down a hill and that was 50 years ago.🤣

·
Registered
53 Posts
I definitely noticed the hazard with my V-Stom setup, particularly on slow speed, hairpin turns. However, if the rack can handle the load without cracking, I’ll probably use the bicycle mount two to three times a year as I did with the V-Strom.
Dave, I think you need to consider the terrain (and the distance over each) you'd be riding over, dynamic load of smooth surface obviously less than rough. Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave, I think you need to consider the terrain (and the distance over each) you'd be riding over, dynamic load of smooth surface obviously less than rough. Cheers
Indeed I do... FWIW, I logged over 5,00 miles with basically the same setup on my V-Strom 650. Annual trips to the Western Slope of Colorado for the Firecracker 50 mountain bike race, annual ride/bike/ski trips to the high mountains of Indian Peaks Wilderness and the occasional 700 miler to the desert. These had a mix of highway, paved twisters, and the infrequent fire/dirt roads.

Provided I don't break anything with the 35lb load I'll be carrying, my initial tests on the AT suggest this setup will work adequately.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Indeed I do... FWIW, I logged over 5,00 miles with basically the same setup on my V-Strom 650. Annual trips to the Western Slope of Colorado for the Firecracker 50 mountain bike race, annual ride/bike/ski trips to the high mountains of Indian Peaks Wilderness and the occasional 700 miler to the desert. These had a mix of highway, paved twisters, and the infrequent fire/dirt roads.

Provided I don't break anything with the 35lb load I'll be carrying, my initial tests on the AT suggest this setup will work adequately.
View attachment 61764
View attachment 61765
View attachment 61766
Yes, I'd have to say the std AT Grab rail design looks more sturdy than the ATAS as I have. I've got the rack plate as shown, much overhang. I have the additional plate to sit over pillion seat where I consciously mount weight in the duffel bag I use
20210403_074835.jpg
forward. Cool concept BTW, first saw it on Chris Birch's bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Cool. How did you get the bridge shot? Another set of hands? Drone would be my best guess.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts