Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have passed that bridge many times but gone never over it. Where does that road go? Eventually, just loops back on to St. Vrain?
It’s called Apple Valley Road. Loops back to US36 and also leads to the Antelope trailhead of Hall Ranch; a fun and moderate MTB trail system.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
It’s called Apple Valley Road. Loops back to US36 and also leads to the Antelope trailhead of Hall Ranch; a fun and moderate MTB trail system.
Thanks! It is a cool looking bridge, but I had zero idea where it went. :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Beautiful job there fab'ing up that mount... attention to detail, nice. So you're ok leaving your AT at the end of a deep, dark road at a trail head? How quickly could that go into the back of a pickup? Ouch -

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Would have to Kryptonite to a boulder. At least the frame will be there at the end of a hot, exhausting and thirsty fun-filled day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Indeed I do... FWIW, I logged over 5,00 miles with basically the same setup on my V-Strom 650. Annual trips to the Western Slope of Colorado for the Firecracker 50 mountain bike race, annual ride/bike/ski trips to the high mountains of Indian Peaks Wilderness and the occasional 700 miler to the desert. These had a mix of highway, paved twisters, and the infrequent fire/dirt roads.

Provided I don't break anything with the 35lb load I'll be carrying, my initial tests on the AT suggest this setup will work adequately.
View attachment 61764
View attachment 61765
View attachment 61766
It is hard enough to get out of a fuel station without talking to a half dozen people when your bike is loaded for a trip. I can't imagine how many people stop to talk to you about your rack set-up. You probably have more pictures of you riding your motorcycle down the interstate than you're even aware of. Looks awesome!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Beautiful job there fab'ing up that mount... attention to detail, nice. So you're ok leaving your AT at the end of a deep, dark road at a trail head? How quickly could that go into the back of a pickup? Ouch -
Thanks. Interestingly, I haven't thought much about leaving my moto at a trailhead for extended overnight trips, much less 2-hour MTB rides. I lock the steering to the left, panniers have solid locks, helmet is cable-locked to the bike. Perhaps I trust folks in the backcountry of Colorado more than I should, but so far I've had good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It is hard enough to get out of a fuel station without talking to a half dozen people when your bike is loaded for a trip. I can't imagine how many people stop to talk to you about your rack set-up. You probably have more pictures of you riding your motorcycle down the interstate than you're even aware of. Looks awesome!
Good point! I enjoy the conversations and curiosity of interested tourists

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Thanks. Interestingly, I haven't thought much about leaving my moto at a trailhead for extended overnight trips, much less 2-hour MTB rides. I lock the steering to the left, panniers have solid locks, helmet is cable-locked to the bike. Perhaps I trust folks in the backcountry of Colorado more than I should, but so far I've had good luck.
That is great to read.

Seems to be a little harder each year as scavengers find new sources of stuff to harvest these days. Might be higher risk surrounding urban centers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I was much younger fellow riders who had a Harley were afraid to use the men's room without taking the bike in with them. They were concerned it would not be there when they came back out. Those of us with Hondas would park our bikes just about anywhere and on our return hours later would still be riding our bike home.

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
When I was much younger fellow riders who had a Harley were afraid to use the men's room without taking the bike in with them. They were concerned it would not be there when they came back out. Those of us with Hondas would park our bikes just about anywhere and on our return hours later would still be riding our bike home.
Heck, I remember leaving my Yamaha at a shopping mall overnight because it wouldn't start and it was there noon the next day (and it started).

·
Registered
6 Posts
David,
While I believe that the rack can hold more weight than 22lbs, the restriction has more to do with having the weight bias high and to the back of the bike, which can create dangerous handling. A number of years ago I was on a long distance tour. A few times a day the bike would get extremely "loose". I couldn't figure it out. Then the light lit up, as the fuel burned and the tank was close to empty the bike would handle terrible, fill with gas and it handled great. Lesson learned. Pack heavy items low and toward the center of the bike.
Dudley
and then the light came on!!!:ROFLMAO: that would be me too !!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts