Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the fueling problems bad enough to make you rethink your purchase?:surprise:

Should I reconsider my upcoming purchase of a new 2017 AT?:crying:

What say you?:smile2:

Sam:grin2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
They aren't fuelling problems. It's a lean tune from the factory to meet emissions. You can play with the riding modes to decrease it, get an aftermarket tune to remove it, or learn to use your clutch to overcome it.

If any of us let such a minor thing get in the way of owning one of the greatest motorcycles of all time then we wouldn't be here and our lives would be worse for it.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you are either a hillbilly (southern USA?) or a south african Africaner then you probably won't have an ecu tuned for European emissions regulations so maybe you'd be OK. Maybe we in the UK won't either after 29th March (Fat chance of our government suddenly relaxing any Euro rules though)
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are either a hillbilly (southern USA?) or a south african Africaner then you probably won't have an ecu tuned for European emissions regulations so maybe you'd be OK. Maybe we in the UK won't either after 29th March (Fat chance of our government suddenly relaxing any Euro rules though)

Mike
The US model is strict as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't really consider the fueling to be a "problem" per-say. Realistically this is the direction all motorcycles/vehicles are going to meet stricter and stricter emission requirements. Personally I don't find it to be too much of an issue, as TequilaSqueela mentioned once you get a feel for it you just compensate with the clutch/play around with the drive modes until you find one that's suitable. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from purchasing one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't really consider the fueling to be a "problem" per-say. Realistically this is the direction all motorcycles/vehicles are going to meet stricter and stricter emission requirements. Personally I don't find it to be too much of an issue, as TequilaSqueela mentioned once you get a feel for it you just compensate with the clutch/play around with the drive modes until you find one that's suitable. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from purchasing one.

I rode my DCT 'Sport, normally, in Tour mode for the first 600 miles and it was just fine. After the first service I began having a play with the Sport mode.. And the bike was transformed. Like a different bike, Jekyll & Hyde and so much fun.. I was whooping and laughing by turns. so, I have no idea what is meant by fuelling issues, because my bike.. Which, obviously has the very latest Euro restriction rides exactly as I would expect, in fact it's exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know. Apparently there isn't a problem:grin2:

If it's just an abrupt throttle then I've had a few in the 85 bikes I've owned. Nothing that can't be overcome by 'learning' the characteristics of the scoot---with the left hand ever ready on the clutch---just in case:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It's not just an abrupt throttle. It's jerky riding when you are attempting to trickle through urban areas. For many of us it's an irritation, and it's one of the reasons I haven't traded in my 17 bike for an 18 as the 18 felt worse in this respect to me. There are threads on here that suggest the engine braking settings on the new bike are either incorrectly labelled or imperceptible, so I can't rely on that feature. Nor could I rely on feathering the clutch as I am totally sold on DCT. I have tried a Rapid Bike Easy and an ECU remap from Hilltop neither of which improved the jerkiness at all.
Having said all that - it's by no means the worst bike for stuttering/jerkiness. 10 years ago I had a Versys that drove me mad, but was completely cured by a PowerCommander. So maybe I would try that if I got a 2018/19 bike.
Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
I totally agree with you Mike5100, I love my DCT ATAS, but the fuelling is annoying to say the least. I’m the the type of rider who keeps to the 30, 40, and 50’s (my work life relies heavily on a clean license), and on a steady throttle, the fuelling is not good. I live in hope, that there is a aftermarket fix, otherwise I may have to sell and get something else. I hope that’s not the case, so if anybody ever finds a genuine real fix, I’m up for it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hate the fueling problem. There should be some type of motorcycle that doesn’t require a constant refueling to propel us down our favorite trail

·
Registered
191 Posts
My buddy had identical issues with his VFR that he said we're completely resolved with a power commander. I just don't want to be the first person to take the plunge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just quick note, have anyone read and tried Turbocitytom DIY fuel pressure mod, my bike does not have bad fueling but, when I get back from my trip to California [2 feet of snow here and -5c] I am going to try this to see if does anything. We are lucky to have someone like tom to pass on his thoughts. Got to remember different ECU's & EPA standards for different countries, it would be nice if ALL forum members would put in there LOCATION.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts