Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the 2020 has Apple CarPlay I thought it would be helpful to have a area discussing app’s, ones you’ve got that are very helpful whether it is for navigation, music, maintenance or whatever.

Also any app’s that are less than helpful and their shortcomings or issues that just make them a pain.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not a bad idea and would be useful to know what people have tried and tested.
Ok, Ill start
Navigation:
1. All the built in ones work just great to be honest ie Apple maps
2. Waze, works great and has some useful info as its driven by users. my fave is pot hole warnings
3. maps.me this is another great nav software which uses offline maps that are detailed like OS maps (useful for dirt track finding) oh yeah and its free!
4. TomTom Go. Usual TomTom usability and works great although I did have it lock up a few times. It is chargeable but very cheap.

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
Some Apps that I like to use...

Rever -Ride Planning/Tracking/Sharing. Includes all the Butler Map Routes.

RoadTrippers - scenic spots, local attractions, hotels, etc.

Trip Advisor - Travel Planning Resource

Pure Gas - Find Ethanol Free Gas

Earthmate - works with my inReach for mapping

Biker Buddy - A little like VBR for Motorcyclists

Gaia GPS

Avenza Maps

Deezer - Music. I have switched to this from Spotify. I like Flow and a few other features.

Fuelio - Gas Log / Fuel Tacker

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use the following apps:
Navigation
Flitsmeister because it warns for speed cams
Google Maps and apple map
I miss a good navi which can replace tomtom 550 so Scenic or Rever should become validated by Apple so Apple hurry up
Music:
a dutch app Nederland.Fm for local radio

What I think that Honda was not finished with the system it has already a gps receiver inside so it would not surprise me that it will be update with a embedded navigation software. Hopefully they will look to Scenic or Rever so that it every easy to import gpx files.
I didn,t yet took the display off to see what is inside and on which the os is running

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
I read recently that Honda was teaming up with Rever.
They certainly have been for some of the Rever Challenges such as the Honda Passbagger and Honda Goldwing challenges.

I am not sure what other forms of teaming up they have been doing, but the challenges have been noticeable.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
I have noticed that Honda is now officially listed on the Rever site as a partner. What surprises me is that they haven't teamed up to give a 50% off premium membership as Rever has with Klim.

Buy a $120+ pair of gloves and you get 50% off annual Rever Pro membership. But a $12,000+ motorcycle and nothing :)

Well, not nothing. They did share a few rides :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rever is quite limited in road planning comparing to Scenic and Calimoto which offer more
Adventuriuos routing, where as Rever is offering only mainstream

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
Are you talking about on the phone app or the Rever ride planning website? I find you can route pretty much anywhere you want to route to on the website planner, including areas where there is no road at all shown on the map.

My biggest annoyance with Rever is that it is way to easy to drop a waypoint and I tend to drop them while trying to scroll the map, resulting in some cursing and route correction :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was trying on the phone. Not yet on web interface. Would like to choose more narrow roads or more turns and hills, not just the on road/offroad because when there are less filters you should put more intermediate points to go more deep into the woods :)

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
Gotcha. You can do a lot with the website planner and save it to Rever to ride later. I just tried planning the same route with CaliMotos website planner and it immediately annoyed me for two reasons.

First, in its effort to pick twistier roads and improve its Calimeter score, it chose a mass of winding roads through urban ****. Nobody wants to ride through that. Stoplights, stop signs, 30mph speed limits. Just no :)

Second, I tried to improve upon that and set waypoints for the way that makes sense to go. But when I hit create a route, it automatically changed the order of my waypoints on me. That's a big deal-breaker. Don't mess with my waypoints CaliMoto! :)

I am sure I need to spend more time with it and investigate the settings to see if I can undo some of the stuff it automatically wants to do. I will check it out in more detail later.

I have downloaded the App though. So I should check that out as well :)

Edit: I did find similar reports in the App reviews regarding the WayPoints. The devs responded that you could disable "Smart via Point Connect" in both the app and the website planner as a workaround. That feature should work though, without re-arranging the point order. But at least there is a workaround.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fingers crossed that either or both Scenic and Guru Maps Pro (my non-CarPlay app of choice right now) get CarPlay support in the near future... Rever looks capable but will require a premium membership to really see the full capabilities.

·
Registered
155 Posts
EmmEff your are right about Rever I have try it but it is not so good as Scenic. A lot of people have send email to Apple and ask or they could allow Scenic for Carplay but zero answer. Therefor I have a jailbroken Iphone 7 where I will install Carbrigde they say they mirror all apps. when it works I let you know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Scenic still suffers from some niggling little bugs (random crashes especially when importing GPX files) that are terribly annoying. I've been a subscriber since the early days to support the developer, but honestly I seldom use it because of these bugs. The UI also (still) needs some refinement as well, but it's much improved in V2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most of my buddies and I use Calimoto. Some super cool features like setting a 100 mile random trip and the twistinness (is that even a word) of the route, and letting the app do the rest. Also just got off-line maps. Sadly won't integrate with Carplay tho. Contacted the developers and they working on it. I reckon once it's on CP it'll be a game changer.

Any of the US/ Canada brotherhood use it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just installed CaliMoto for the first time. $70/year is a little steep compared to the others, but I'm willing to pay if it ticks all the boxes. I would like to see CarPlay support though.

My observation is that these navigation apps all have great intentions but none of them are near 100%. As an example, Furkot, which integrates with Scenic. is a much more capable trip planner than Rever. CaliMoto's trip planner is somewhere in the middle of Furkot and Never. The route in-app editor in Scenic is probably the best out there. Guru Maps Pro has a nice interface for managing waypoints and tracks, but it's routing is lacklustre.

If they all continue competing with each other with features and functionality, the winners will be us, the users.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts