Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Apple CarPlay issues

30K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  DirtyDog 
#1 ·
Hi, struggling with a volume issue while using google maps while on a Bluetooth connection from the honda 2020africa twin module to my SENA intercom fitted to a Schuberth c4 . Have upped the volume both on the I phone and on the bikes inputs. Music is load and clear but maps instructions are a whispers. Help

#6 ·
My experience of Apple carplay nav is it doesn't work if theres no cell. Had this happen twice on my in car Apple carplay Head unit. It has no inbuilt maps so relies on the apple Apps , if you try to start a navigation without a cell it cant and if it needs to recalculate mid route and theres no cell it mobile reception.

#5 ·
So many ways you can input with the CarPlay that its worth playing with all the volume controls.
In reply to @black99S sure there will always be an occasion when it doesn't work like anything tech...but for those that want to try it on the Rocky Forest service road I have found that maps.me works great. you download the maps to the device so it don't gobble up or fail with no data.
Unfortunately I live in England where the whole world has a signal of some sort so can't say what happens lol

#14 ·
To enable Carplay mode a bluetooth headset is required. It needs to be connected all the time. If you drop the connection or helmet battery goes down Carplay turns off automatically.

Question: how to trick the system going in to the Carplay mode without using the actual Bluetooth headset or Helmet communication system.

I know dealers using help of bluetooth music speakers and other portable devices in order to show customers how CarPlay operates in the showrooms.

Is there any device/dongle which can turn on together with the engine, while simulating the headset connectivity? ?
I want a dummy Bluetooth device which is indistinguishable from a real device from the Motorcycle's point of view.

#15 ·
Is there any device/dongle which can turn on together with the engine, while simulating the headset connectivity? ?
I want a dummy Bluetooth device which is indistinguishable from a real device from the Motorcycle's point of view.
Probably something like the Sena Freewire would do the trick, but that is still $250USD. I wonder if a cheap option like this device would do the trick? I have 2019, so no way to test it or I would :)

#22 ·
Hi all,

Somewhere around 5000km I sort of figured this system out. After a lot of messing around it seems to me the problems are with the phone, not the head unit. I tried someone elses phone as well and experienced the same issues. Iphone seems to want to default audio to the iphone. When you are having issues getting the correct headset or getting audio through the correct headset, check your phones airplay thing. Mine consistently said it was routing non-call audio through the phone after a couple of bike off/on cycles and no matter how many times I clicked it over to carplay, it would stay on iphone.

To alleviate the issue I just unplug the phone and plug it back in. Once in a while even that won't force it to output to the bike/headset and the phone itself requires a restart. The other very important things are to go to your iphone settings and to change the security options for USB connections to NOT require authentication. Next, ensure only the headsets are Bluetooth connected to the bike, turn the Iphone Bluetooth off altogether. Between that, unplugging and resetting (while annoying) I have pretty much streamlined using the system. Not ideal, but not insurmountable.

#24 ·
I wish I had known some of the issues before buying this week. Been pretty frustrated with this thing to be honest... Should have waited for Gen 2 and just got the 18/19 models... My connectivity is def. not my phone. Use car play on multiple other vehicles. Also never had issues connecting both my cardo headset & phone to my BMW nav system in the past. This thing seems to just drop audio - or just not reconnect at all... end up fiddling with it for 5 minutes in any parking lot after you shut it off and go into store etc. I even bought a new cardo unit to make sure it wasn't my headset. My phone always states that its output to honda. Also - the lag on the head unit is pretty bad. Had it crash on me multiple times now where i have to key off for 1 min to get it to reboot. Found at least 1 bug in the menus that requires quit/return to select an item again. And the controls - dont get me started on the controls. None of it makes sense! Honestly - the screen is a flashy gimmic and was not ready for production in my opinion. I'm going to pray that there is a software update that can handle some of the problems. As I really do love the engine... Everything else has me very much regretting my purchase.

ok /endrant. :

#29 ·
Strange, other than not using a Sena I assume I am doing things very similar. I turn on the bike... wait for total boot. (15-20 seconds) Turn on headset, and get the "connected" message & see the visual headset connection indicator on the screen. Then I plug in the phone and it will initiate apple carplay. This process works 99% of the time so far... its after I ride, then park. Turn off bike, disconnect phone. Then turn off the headset. DO what ever i'm out doing... then hop on bike again. start it, turn on headset, plug in phone.... Any number of things could go wrong for me here. Most of the time it connects the headset, then forces it to shut off... Turning on again will show a connection but you cannot get any sound out.. Carplay fires up and works fine, but again no sound in headset. Usually need to turn off bike and everything else, unplug phone, wait a few seconds. then 1 by 1 turn things back on to get it to work again. Honestly this is not acceptable functionality in my opinion. I use a cardo packtalk bold & slim. (because they are actually waterproof for the PNW) Both have same issues. It could be the bluetooth drivers used for these headsets as the problem, thought I doubt it having read so many other posts that illustrate the same issue.... So for a bike the toats 'NAV via APPLE CARPLAY!' ...but then only works if the headset is connected (hope your battery doesn't go dead in the woods) and has a ton of connection issues a critical system such as this can not be trusted at that point. I did start disabling bluetooth on my phone while using car play in hopes that will help connection issues a bit.

#40 ·
@KenLance
I do it as follow the bike is off, cardo is off, phone is not connected with bike to usb. Then it turn the bike and wait until normal dash is there then I turn cardo on and she say connected the I plug in my phone and it goes to carplay.
When I made a stop and turn off the bike cardo disconnects but the blue light is still flashing. So you think that when start your bike it will connect automatically but this not happing. Here it goes wrong.
I think it is a Cardo problem because my lowcost version did what I suspected. So when you power of the Cardo (she say goodbye) and turn it on again the it connects again with the bike and Carplay will pick it up.

#44 ·
Welcome to the Forum @Sandstorm.

Bluetooth is a non-trivial communication stack and reliable implementations vary widely, especially as new standards arrive.

Any pics of your beast?
Thanks! I'm a long time Honda motorcycle owner (1991 NT400, 2017 NC750X) and I've been thinking about Africa Twin for a while. Finally acquired my CRF1100D a couple of weeks ago. 2700km on the clock already & I've been loving every minute of riding it - except that one annoyance - the clunky and slow display/UI. Hopefully with the help of this forum we can all find at least some solutions. ;)(y)

Here it is (still waiting for crash bars, luggage rack and a few other accessories to arrive):

#53 ·
G'day all,

I recently moved over to the new AT 1100 AS. One of the things that was an advantage to me was the Apple Carplay as I do trips into Africa now and then. Only reliable mapping system is Google Maps (even offline mode). I do however have an issue that every time connect, I have to remove my headset from the list and re-add the same as it picks my headset (Sena 20s) up as "Passenger" and not rider before I can use carplay.

What I have done already:
a) Reset the AT's unit with default settings
b) Reset my headset to factory default

Any idea on how to resolve the same?

#54 ·
G'day all,

I recently moved over to the new AT 1100 AS. One of the things that was an advantage to me was the Apple Carplay as I do trips into Africa now and then. Only reliable mapping system is Google Maps (even offline mode). I do however have an issue that every time connect, I have to remove my headset from the list and re-add the same as it picks my headset (Sena 20s) up as "Passenger" and not rider before I can use carplay.

What I have done already:
a) Reset the AT's unit with default settings
b) Reset my headset to factory default

Any idea on how to resolve the same?
If I recall correctly there is a setting which marks the headset as driver/passenger. Did you check it?
Also, remember NOT to pair the headset to the phone.

#61 ·
So I thought I had figured out the carplay / cardo packtalk pairing issue. Turn bike on. Plug in phone. Hold back button on left switchgear for 3 seconds. Then turn on cardo and go through screens on bike to ensure it connects. But this last week this just magically stopped working every time. I suspect an apple update caused the latest issue.

If I connect the headset first, when the phone is connected apple carplay flashes and crashes on the screen bike’s repeatedly.

I have tried connected the cardo direct to my phone, but I don’t get navigation directions through the headset and the volume is not speed sensitive like when connected to the bike, and sometimes it still causes issues with carplay.

Don’t even get me started on the other electrical / bike issues I had this weekend...

#62 ·
My carplay has worked fairly flawlessly since i discovered the conflict with having my Sena paired to my phone and the bike at the same time. Well, now it failed hard. The carplay connection cycles between connected and not about every three seconds. Tried other Sena's, phones, cables, no dice. Hoping they can fix it while in for the tank recall.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.