Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming from the supercharged jet ski world into motorcycles. In that world, every ski has a performance package that can be added to it to improve the overall performance. They usually have them in stages like Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, etc. with minor bang for the buck mods happening in the Stage 1 stuff and more advanced "into the engine" mods happening in Stage 3.

Is the same thing available somewhere for motorcycles? For the Africa Twin specifically?

If so, what are they? I'd love to be able to bolt a couple of parts on and wake up the acceleration on my DCT AT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are expecting a fast / powerful bike you will be in for a surprise, the AF is very average and would go as far as saying a slug two up at anything under 110 km/h in 6th gear, it is very lacking in torque.
One up is OK, two up and 120 km/h + is better but in a country where the open road speed limits are 100 / 110 km/h for the most part I was very underwhelmed by its road performance.

Perhaps a case of being heavy (242 kgs for the DCT apparently) and low revolutions in 6th gear combined with lack of torque in that rev range.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you are expecting a fast / powerful bike you will be in for a surprise, the AF is very average and would go as far as saying a slug two up at anything under 110 km/h in 6th gear, it is very lacking in torque.
One up is OK, two up and 120 km/h + is better but in a country where the open road speed limits are 100 / 110 km/h for the most part I was very underwhelmed by its road performance.

Perhaps a case of being heavy (242 kgs for the DCT apparently) and low revolutions in 6th gear combined with lack of torque in that rev range.
Why not drop a gear or three then ? I've just been away with a group of mates, one of whom has a 125hp Aprilia and he couldn't keep up from slow speed starts when I really gunned the DCT in either S3 or manual mode. He's a better rider than me, it was all down to the bike's gearing and easy power delivery.

Jarrett, I suspect you've bought the wrong bike if you're after throwing money at it to get better performance, as above...just get something with 150 or 160 hp standard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone heard of development of some aftermarket pistons for the AT, with higher compression ratio's? Wiseco, JE, Etc? Standard ratio is 10:1. I would imagine a 12:1 piston set would give the motor some additional kick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm coming from the supercharged jet ski world into motorcycles. In that world, every ski has a performance package that can be added to it to improve the overall performance. They usually have them in stages like Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, etc. with minor bang for the buck mods happening in the Stage 1 stuff and more advanced "into the engine" mods happening in Stage 3.

Is the same thing available somewhere for motorcycles? For the Africa Twin specifically?

If so, what are they? I'd love to be able to bolt a couple of parts on and wake up the acceleration on my DCT AT.
I'm not too familiar with the world of jet skis or how power affects overall rideability, but in my experience with motorcycles, more is not necessarily better. I think if you want a beast of a machine then ktm is the way to go over the Africa Twin. But personally, 160 hp offroad (even 128 for the 1090r) is just bonkers and I dont think I would ever fully utilize it. It's analogous to riding a litre super-sport on the streets (vs track), like yeah it's cool but would you ever actually use it fully?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Coming back to motorcycles after years off, I have to say, nearly 100HP is *nuts* powerful for me.

Back when I rode a lot, it was on a ’78 Honda 750 Four K and a 1976 Kawasaki KZ650 (bike of the year that year, but I got mine in ‘78) and a ’75 Honda XL250.

That KZ650 had 62HP but it flat out took off! That bike was fast, even by today’s standards—no, not crazy-literbike-fast, but fast. And the 750 Four K had about 68HP—a great bike, but not nearly as fast as the KZ.

The Honda XL250 had all of 24HP! And I had so much fun on that bike! And never wanted for power.

I might like to test ride a KTM with 160HP, but just for giggles.

But my 2018 ATAS manual has more power than I’ll ever need. And as for speed? It takes off like a fricking rocket—by any standard. Is it slower than a 160HP KTM in the ¼ mile, or 0 – 60 MPH? Sure… but by what margin? From what I can find, in the 1/4 mile, it’s something around 1 second, or just over. One second.

Maybe I’m easy to please, having come back after so long. But the ATAS ticks all my boxes—and more.

All this crazy talk about “is it powerful enough” or “fast enough” …Hẹll, it’s stupid powerful and fast, no matter how you dice it or what you compare it to.

I find the low-end torque to be amazingly strong *and smooth* while dirt riding. And the bike performs incredibly well on the road, even on the twisties and backroads. It’s one hẹll of a comfortable ride too—can go for hours and hours.

It ain’t about the numbers, man. They can be misleading. It’s the package. And the Honda Africa Twin is one hẹll of a bike.

If you're careful enough, you can go just about anywhere on this bike… and you’ll likely get there before the guys on the “more powerful” bikes.

Have fun; ride safe, Gary

·
Registered
218 Posts
The cheapest performance upgrade package is a KTM 1290R, if you spent the difference in price of the 2 bikes you still would not have near the same power or reliability as the KTM, Its awesome fun on the black top, gives you the sports bike buzz that you can never get from the AT, 3 gear roll on wheelies, what a buzz but saying that for my riding ability the only time I could only use all that power in a straight line everywhere else the AT has plenty of power for me & with the power it has got Im having trouble getting more than 2000k's out of a back tyre, Id hate to see how quickly the ktm would destroy the rear tyre, make weekend rides in the dirt very expensive

·
Registered
377 Posts
My mechanic once was complaining for his - years back - choice to get the Honda service over KTM. I asked why and he replied me with the following question:

he: "how many years do we know eachother and I service your bikes?"

me: "more than 10 yrs and 3 bikes allright"

he: "and on those 10 yrs, how much money did I made of your bikes due to failures or breakdowns rather than scheduled services"

me: "well.....none"

he: "there is you answer"

KTM are getting better those days; but much Honda's reliability? I think there is quite some way up to that point.....

·
Registered
20 Posts

Omg this has to be a complete joke. I mean seriously. I had my twin going a 105mph today and it had so much more. Smooth as silk for what it is. A 500+ pound 95 hp technical marvel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Coming back to motorcycles after years off, I have to say, nearly 100HP is *nuts* powerful for me.

Back when I rode a lot, it was on a ’78 Honda 750 Four K and a 1976 Kawasaki KZ650 (bike of the year that year, but I got mine in ‘78) and a ’75 Honda XL250.

That KZ650 had 62HP but it flat out took off! That bike was fast, even by today’s standards—no, not crazy-literbike-fast, but fast. And the 750 Four K had about 68HP—a great bike, but not nearly as fast as the KZ.

The Honda XL250 had all of 24HP! And I had so much fun on that bike! And never wanted for power.

I might like to test ride a KTM with 160HP, but just for giggles.

But my 2018 ATAS manual has more power than I’ll ever need. And as for speed? It takes off like a fricking rocket—by any standard. Is it slower than a 160HP KTM in the ¼ mile, or 0 – 60 MPH? Sure… but by what margin? From what I can find, in the 1/4 mile, it’s something around 1 second, or just over. One second.

Maybe I’m easy to please, having come back after so long. But the ATAS ticks all my boxes—and more.

All this crazy talk about “is it powerful enough” or “fast enough” …Hẹll, it’s stupid powerful and fast, no matter how you dice it or what you compare it to.

I find the low-end torque to be amazingly strong *and smooth* while dirt riding. And the bike performs incredibly well on the road, even on the twisties and backroads. It’s one hẹll of a comfortable ride too—can go for hours and hours.

It ain’t about the numbers, man. They can be misleading. It’s the package. And the Honda Africa Twin is one hẹll of a bike.

If you're careful enough, you can go just about anywhere on this bike… and you’ll likely get there before the guys on the “more powerful” bikes.

Have fun; ride safe, Gary

Finally someone says something that’s positive, and interesting.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ktm more reliable than Honda???
I know a few dual ktm/ Honda main dealers who would tell you the opposite!
The unmodified KTM would be much more reliable than a highly modified AT, I expect if you could get 160hp out of the AT it would be a time bomb waiting to explode

·
Registered
76 Posts
Omg this has to be a complete joke. I mean seriously. I had my twin going a 105mph today and it had so much more. Smooth as silk for what it is. A 500+ pound 95 hp technical marvel.
Its a year+ since my post and stick by it......... Going 105 mph (160 kmh + at much higher rpm's) has what to do with my reply, nothing.

I still find the DCT a little flat until it gets past 4000 rpm in 6th gear, one or two up... The catch being besides the Northern Territory with a higher open road speed limit (from no open road speed limit until 2007) the bike still lugs a little at 100 kmh and that is the average speed limit (besides 110 zones)
Could I ride around in Manual mode and 5th gear at 100 kmh, sure but its a big country.

Is it bad, no, just noticeable and more so when you get to 120 kmh (above 4000 rpm) and beyond where it is silky smooth and torque increase is there plain and simple.
The engine just seems happier when it starts to do some work... sitting on 130/140 kmh, bliss but knocking on the door of walking home.
Still a great bike, 3 years in January.

Edit.
The penny just dropped, lack of flywheel weight or stored energy, in my case compared to other bikes I have which can give an allusion of low torque at lower rpm in top gear.

·
Super Moderator
3,007 Posts
I ride mostly in manual mode, so yes Les P, 5th at 100 km/h is no stress, In fact, it keeps some power ready in case of an unexpected situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idk what you guys consider slow but I swapped out to pierrli scoropion street tires and rode back from Boston to NYC at speeds up to 132mph . Not sure if I even wanted to go faster . I was like holly ish I love this bike . Everyone told me it dies out after 120 . Well I have a remus exhaust and pirelli street tires and it felt like I mayb could have got her up to 140 mph if I had the balls too .

·
Super Moderator
3,007 Posts
Idk what you guys consider slow but I swapped out to pierrli scoropion street tires and rode back from Boston to NYC at speeds up to 132mph . Not sure if I even wanted to go faster . I was like holly ish I love this bike . Everyone told me it dies out after 120 . Well I have a remus exhaust and pirelli street tires and it felt like I mayb could have got her up to 140 mph if I had the balls too .
It is useful to know the AT has some unrestricted margin at the top end. It adds to the feeling of a capable onroad bike.

Welcome to the Forum Flee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post, thus I want to say cheers to all AT riders outthere.

I have a 19' ATAS and sincerely would like more power / more low end torque. I feel the low end torque is lacking and the bike starts to pull after ~4000 rpm, actually it kicks in around 5000 rpm to really feel the bike alive. One-up I would say its okaish, but 2-up + gear for camping it's not the best package. I'm not saying I can't overtake in safe conditions (quick), but I need to rev the **** out of it.

If you want to make a fast overtake you really need to go 2-3 gears down to rev the bike in that hot-spot of ~5000 rpm. I also feel the bike lacks that instant power surge if you open the throttle at it's max. It takes a bit to speed up. In my case it likes a more gradual acceleration. Might this be a sign of the tank issue plugging the fuel filter? I have never experienced any power loss or the bike stalling, just that if I open the gas at max level it doesn't fly, it takes some time to rev and then it sling shots. Quite annoying.

Have riden the bike up to 180+ km/h, thus it is fast, but I would not call it quite quick. I do believe the gearbox is too long in 2nd gear. This makes it slower for acceleration, but does make sense for the purpose of the AT, OFF-road, where you can pull that 2nd gear all around and you don't need to worry about changing gears.

All my above remarks are in comparison to my naked bike Yamaha MT07 which has an incredible engine which pulls at any **** rpm. That bike has less kg but also less HP, but it is way more quicker at accelerations and how the bike responds to opening the throttle. I would definitely love that character on my AT. :) Yamaha has nailed the MT07 and MT09 engines. Took MT09 for a test drive and it's a blazing engine. Would be interesting to see a Yamaha Tenere 900 built on that engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts

This is my first post, thus I want to say cheers to all AT riders outthere.

I have a 19' ATAS and sincerely would like more power / more low end torque. I feel the low end torque is lacking and the bike starts to pull after ~4000 rpm, actually it kicks in around 5000 rpm to really feel the bike alive. One-up I would say its okaish, but 2-up + gear for camping it's not the best package. I'm not saying I can't overtake in safe conditions (quick), but I need to rev the **** out of it.

If you want to make a fast overtake you really need to go 2-3 gears down to rev the bike in that hot-spot of ~5000 rpm. I also feel the bike lacks that instant power surge if you open the throttle at it's max. It takes a bit to speed up. In my case it likes a more gradual acceleration. Might this be a sign of the tank issue plugging the fuel filter? I have never experienced any power loss or the bike stalling, just that if I open the gas at max level it doesn't fly, it takes some time to rev and then it sling shots. Quite annoying.

Have riden the bike up to 180+ km/h, thus it is fast, but I would not call it quite quick. I do believe the gearbox is too long in 2nd gear. This makes it slower for acceleration, but does make sense for the purpose of the AT, OFF-road, where you can pull that 2nd gear all around and you don't need to worry about changing gears.

All my above remarks are in comparison to my naked bike Yamaha MT07 which has an incredible engine which pulls at any **** rpm. That bike has less kg but also less HP, but it is way more quicker at accelerations and how the bike responds to opening the throttle. I would definitely love that character on my AT. :) Yamaha has nailed the MT07 and MT09 engines. Took MT09 for a test drive and it's a blazing engine. Would be interesting to see a Yamaha Tenere 900 built on that engine.
i normally ride my 2017 AT in manually mode and off the mark it’s so easy for even a novice rider to pull away fast. I have friends who have faster bikes but are not experienced enough to put the power down. I am happy with 120mph ish top end . I still love it after a year of owning it. A guy who owned a KTM 1290 said he didn’t think the AT was powerful enough but he did say he has had reliability issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts