Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike shops down here only have 140/70 - 18 instead of 150/70 - 18 , would that be a problem?

I am fitting TKC70 front & rear in the near future, these are tubeless which I am going to insert a tube, continental OK this but state correctly sized tube..

Any experience or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had new TKC 80 front and Mitas E07 fitted last week. On Sunday, after doing about 120 km's, I was left stranded with a blown rear tube. As it turns out its a 140/70/18 instead of a 150/70/18. It was a heavy duty tube. This could be due to a defect in the tube or from being badly fitted or just one of those things. I can't be sure. In the past I would have said the 140/70 will be fine, but now I have doubts. In future, in an emergency only I will be ok with a 140. But for long term use a 150.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to use the 150/70 but they are so hard to find nobody stocks them here in Cape Town, ordering one also seems to be a problem.. :frown2:

You perhaps know where I could find it..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to use the 150/70 but they are so hard to find nobody stocks them here in Cape Town, ordering one also seems to be a problem.. :frown2:

Speak to Chris at Flying Brick, if he can't help you, he will point you in the right direction

021 510 6455

·
Registered
134 Posts

If you really get stuck, I am coming to Mosselbay between the 19th and 25 December. I can bring you a couple.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 140 tube will be fine. A little smaller is ok, it will stretch. A lot of tubes fit about 3 sizes of tires anyway.

I would not hesitate at all. Good luck friend and ride safe!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, you are or might be totally correct, but Continental states on their product page, correctly sized tubes if you are going to fit it to their tubeless tyres. I am just cautious as to the way they state the this fact. It's like the OEM workshop manual for my VFR1200FD, they state with a TIP on the side to put the balancing weights on the left side of the front rim when they are statically balanced.(I do my own static balancing with a balancer I purchased) They did the trouble to write a small section on the left hand side of the page to state this. Now I am not going to argue with the Jap's that actually built this bike. All I know is that my VFR really handles well now since I did this amongst other things that the dealership I purchased it from new, did not do properly..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, you are or might be totally correct, but Continental states on their product page, correctly sized tubes if you are going to fit it to their tubeless tyres. I am just cautious as to the way they state the this fact. It's like the OEM workshop manual for my VFR1200FD, they state with a TIP on the side to put the balancing weights on the left side of the front rim when they are statically balanced.(I do my own static balancing with a balancer I purchased) They did the trouble to write a small section on the left hand side of the page to state this. Now I am not going to argue with the Jap's that actually built this bike. All I know is that my VFR really handles well now since I did this amongst other things that the dealership I purchased it from new, did not do properly..
LOL, there is a certain dealer in Tygervalley that when buying the bike, I asked the salesman what pressures are recommended for the bike tyres, to which he responded "2 bar." Now I am careful with what advise they give me

·
Registered
725 Posts
LOL, there is a certain dealer in Tygervalley that when buying the bike, I asked the salesman what pressures are recommended for the bike tyres, to which he responded "2 bar." Now I am careful with what advise they give me
Chris Birch on his ADV course on tyre pressures - depends on the tyre and terrain.

TKC80s are much softer than Mitas E10. If you really need traction to get through something bad, 15psi in the rear on the E10 will get you similar width of tread on the ground as 20psi on a TKC.
If you're on tarmac only then stick with Honda spec. If you're on and off road constantly then find something that works for you.
I run 25psi in TKC80 front and 30psi in TKC80 or E10 rear.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
279 Posts
Like others have said, smaller width tubes are fine. The larger width tubes may retain a fold after inflating. This is where the tube will fail. I've seen it a number of times in my tech days out in AZ.

Remember to inflate the tube just enough to give shape before inserting into the tire. This is one technique to prevent a pinch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ran a 130/17 in the rear as that was available at night, out in the desert, 50 miles from anywhere, and rode in into town and then 400 miles the next day. No problem, but the 18 I was carrying split a seam, likely old. As did the 21 I tried. Glad my buddy had a 17.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Last summer, I got a nail to my rear tyre (Mitas E-07). It was first evening of my six week trip to Norway. It was a Midsummer Eve's weekend and every shop was closed. With help of a friendly owner of a rubber shop, he fixed the outer tire and put a some thin street bike inner (size 3.50/4.00-18) in it. Original inner tube was unusable, because I tried first to fix flat with tyre sealant spray.
I rode almost 12000km with that inner tube without any problems!

Normally I use 2mm thick Michelin off-road inner tubes size 120/90-18 - 140/80-18.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll say it again, less someone shows a flaw in my thinking.
Convert to tubeless and carry a tube when in the wild; best of both worlds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts