Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Are you happy with your AT?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think @DCTFAN had a great idea in that posting positive experiences about our bikes could counter the multiple doom and gloom threads on this site and others.

I now have 6,600 trouble free miles on my ATAS and really love it. It is definitely one of the best bikes I've owned.

I started a similar post on ADV. I think it would serve potential owners well if they heard the flip side of the negative experiences.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi CBob,
I have my gripes but they're truly insignificant compared to the amount of joy and satisfaction this bike has given me over the short 5 years

Reactions: ride365

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like the majority of Hondas, it does not do anything in particularly stunning fashion, but almost every component has an observable, remarkable amount of thought put into it.

Because I shopped for reliability and predictability, the AT has worked out well for me. I do wish the engine had a little more personality. I’ve had four Civic Si and one Type R. I wish Honda would put a little of that quirkiness in the AT engine.

But the ergonomics are great. The ride is very predictable.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
710 Posts
This bike is a real hoot! Two thumbs way up!

·
Registered
710 Posts
My last three Honda m/c's have been incredibly predictable and reliable. None of them were stellar performers compared to their peers, but I never worried about getting to places.
Or, more importantly, getting back. Kinda the polar opposite of a Harley.

Fuse has been lit...stand back now!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Or, more importantly, getting back. Kinda the polar opposite of a Harley.

Fuse has been lit...stand back now!
I usually attend the manufacturers' demonstrator rides if possible when they show up in the area. I found most dealers will not let you take a bike for a test ride. They may take you for a ride on whatever you are looking at. This leaves the organized test rides as the only way to try a bike before buying it. My last three bike purchases were based on the bikes I road during those events. Harley has come a long way recently but still does not make what I want to ride at this time. The best engine/transmission package was on the V-Rod. It should have been in all their bikes. Very good power and a nice click when changing gears instead the crash and clunk found on most of the bikes. The rest of the V-Rod was an ergonomic nightmare for this old body. The XR1200 felt much like the old Norton Commando and again should have had the V-Rod engine. That might have made it a great bike. I do want to try the Pan America if the opportunity comes. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off successfully. Compared against what is already out there from the competition it will be quite a challenge technically and then there is the price. If you consider the Africa Twin line as the standard to attain, it will be interesting to see how the Pan America turns out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Problem after problem. I have spent more time and money on gas hauling it to the dealer than riding the thing. I never know if I am going to make it from point A to B without any problems. I am happy for all the owners who love and enjoy theirs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Problem after problem. I have spent more time and money on gas hauling it to the dealer than riding the thing. I never know if I am going to make it from point A to B without any problems. I am happy for all the owners who love and enjoy theirs.
Are you referring to an AT? DCT or manual? What kind of problems are you suffering? The Forum likes to know about things like this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
20,000km of riding, no problems. A couple of long trips ~23 days & nights each time, a bunch of day rides and weekend trips - I've been enjoying this bike a lot. I did ditch the original tyres after only 1,100km because I didn't want to ride gravel with them, went to much better 50/50 tyres. I've added crash bars, panniers, pivoting risers and many more farkles - just to customise it to my needs/wants.

If I had the money I'd probably trade my '17 AT DCT for a '20 ATAS ES DCT, but my bike does what I want from it too well to look at spending that kind of money. I'll likely get many more years of enjoyment from this bike before I really consider going to something newer.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I was really happy with my 2016 AT DCT as my wife is with her 2017 AT DCT. I would like to be happy with my 2019 ATAS DCT, but 2 rounds of the tank cleaning, fuel pump, and fuel injectors replacement, has left me not feeling very confident in it. Hopefully, that is behind me after the second round of this and I grow to love it as I did my 2016. Time will tell :)

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
I was really happy with my 2016 AT DCT as my wife is with her 2017 AT DCT. I would like to be happy with my 2019 ATAS DCT, but 2 rounds of the tank cleaning, fuel pump, and fuel injectors replacement, has left me not feeling very confident in it. Hopefully, that is behind me after the second round of this and I grow to love it as I did my 2016. Time will tell :)
Hopefully. How much "welding crud" can there be left? Will "crud-free" welds go through another phase change like, rust?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Well Gang,
So far, in the three weeks and about 250 miles of ownership of my '18 AT/AS DCT, I'm as happy as a clam with it. At this point, there's only two things I wish the bike came with that I've grown used to for decades on all my Gold Wings. And they are, CRUISE CONTROL and SELF CANCELING turn signals. And I know the '20 AT's have both of those. But, as for mine, so far, no issues, no running problems, nothing. I like this motorcycle more and more each day.

It took about a city block on a test ride of a '17 AT DCT to convince me, "I have to have one of these"!!!!!!!!!! We went in and made the deal. Now, is this bike a rocket? Well, it's sure as heck fast enough for me. If I wanted pure speed, there's a zillion other bikes out there that would kill this bike. But, that's not what I wanted. I wanted DEPENDABILITY and durability. Honda's got a great rep for both of those. Sure, there's gonna some bad apples every now and then. Every manufacture on the planet has those.

At this point in time, my dream is to acquire a 2020 AT/AS DCT sometime maybe in the next couple of years so I can get my wanted points mentioned above. But, in the mean time, I LOVE THIS BIKE.
Scott

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love my 2018 AT, I just wish Honda had not fitted so many low quality parts to it. I struggle to see how the engineers produce the lovely engine then the bean-counters finish it with a load of cheaply plated low quality items. Corrosion apart, I'm happy with the bike, will probably end up with a boxer engine shaft drive bike. I'd like my next motorcycle not to need ACF50 every week to stop it corroding so fast (UK climate). It seems that I'm the only owner who thinks the Honda quality should be much better than it is. I guess this proves I bought the wrong bike!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well Gang,
So far, in the three weeks and about 250 miles of ownership of my '18 AT/AS DCT, I'm as happy as a clam with it. At this point, there's only two things I wish the bike came with that I've grown used to for decades on all my Gold Wings. And they are, CRUISE CONTROL and SELF CANCELING turn signals. And I know the '20 AT's have both of those. But, as for mine, so far, no issues, no running problems, nothing. I like this motorcycle more and more each day.

It took about a city block on a test ride of a '17 AT DCT to convince me, "I have to have one of these"!!!!!!!!!! We went in and made the deal. Now, is this bike a rocket? Well, it's sure as heck fast enough for me. If I wanted pure speed, there's a zillion other bikes out there that would kill this bike. But, that's not what I wanted. I wanted DEPENDABILITY and durability. Honda's got a great rep for both of those. Sure, there's gonna some bad apples every now and then. Every manufacture on the planet has those.

At this point in time, my dream is to acquire a 2020 AT/AS DCT sometime maybe in the next couple of years so I can get my wanted points mentioned above. But, in the mean time, I LOVE THIS BIKE.
Scott
I'm slightly puzzled, my October 2018 build bike has self cancelling indicators!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts