Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a 300 mile trip to Lymington, Hants yesterday to have a side by side look at the two exhaust systems I liked the most. My first visit to Rugged Roads and made more than welcome.
The Arrow ti full system without cat was first out the box, looked spot on.
Got as far as taking the new Termignoni can out the box and on its own I would hazard a guess that it weighed more than the entire Arrow system without the stainless headers you need for it.
Came home with the Arrow system after being given a really nice discount, so bought one of their rear racks as well.
Fitted it this morning, no dramas.
Comes with a blank for the CO2 sensor but I've decided to keep the sensor on for the time being. An adaptor is supplied with the kit and fits without any clearance problems.
Used new OEM manifold gaskets, they keep them in stock.
Given it a decent heat cycle after torqueing the manifold bolts to 20ftlbs to check for leacks or cracking.
Not sure of the correct torque figure at the moment, if anybody knows for certain it would be much appreciated.
Sounds good but didn't want to pee off the neighbours too much and it's pissing down so I'll wait for a clear spell to give a proper seat of the pants run.

Happy Pete.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The service manual shows 15 ftlb for the "exhaust pipe joint nut" ie: the acorn nuts that go on the studs at the cylinder head. Are you going to get this tuned to add fuel or just run the factory tuning?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service manual shows 15 ftlb for the "exhaust pipe joint nut" ie: the acorn nuts that go on the studs at the cylinder head. Are you going to get this tuned to add fuel or just run the factory tuning?
I had it remapped at Hilltop in the UK before changing the exhaust system, very happy with the result.
I'm assured that no further mapping will be necessary and the current map can make minor adjustments that the system will need.
To tune the AT would be a real money pit, cams, valves, larger throttle bodies, big bore and pistons and all the work needed to gain a horsepower I was never looking for in the first place and to be fair if I needed more horses I'd buy a KTM or Beemer.
Just looking to lose a bit of weight and have the motor run the best it can before I start to look into the suspension side, a real money spinner if you let yourself get carried away with your wallet.
My thoughts are that the AT was built down to a budget and to sell really well Stateside, a huge customer base. A sort of starting point to head whichever direction most floats your boat.
I'm hoping for a high mileage keeper with it's low state of tune and will probably end up with a 19/17 wheel conversion if after I've modified the suspension the steering doesn't reach the goal I aim for with all the bikes I've owned.
Too old for big off road adventure but still like to scratch a bit when the mood takes me.

Pete.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks, I shouldn't have said "tuning" was actually just referring to the re-map to take advantage of the free exhaust flow. I doubt there will be much of an aftermarket for engine mods on this bike; as you said folks would be way ahead to just get a KTM instead. Only thing I'd be slightly curious to see if someone comes out with higher compression pistons or shaving the head to bump compression in conjunction with 91 octane fuel and appropriate mapping. With the low compression of this motor there has to be some easy gains there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The low compression and 270 crank were a lot of the attraction for me. I like my bike and if I want to go faster I just ride it harder down twistier roads.
HRC may well produce a kit once more riders start turning out proper desert sleds in the States, no doubt somebody already is.
I have a Yamaha TDR 250 to act the fool on when the mood takes me, there's just something about the wail from a 2st twin that does it for me, it just sounds like you're going fast even though you're not really.
Modify and enjoy is my motto, I've been riding and changing bikes over for 50yrs and still can't help myself.
I've only had three Hondas in my life and they all made/make me smile, XR400, XR650R and now this, 47 Yams and various European marques have all had the treatment over the years.
Wish I had another 50 to go.

Pete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts