Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Arrow Titanium silencer for my new AT.
But I'm now in 2 minds of if I want to install or not.
Reason being is the exhaust valve actuator is part of the Honda silencer.
To fit the Arrow requires the removal of the actuator.
Its not difficult and good instructions are provided, but I somehow didn't realise I would loose this if I fitted the Arrow.
What are you guys opinions on the effect this would have on my bike?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,006 Posts
Good question, you would think the people at Arrow would know what they are doing and that it wouldn’t be an issue. Other than loosing the difference in sound at higher rpm’s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just do it, the valve open and closes dependent on rpm but is mainly a noise suppression device to keep the sound low on start up and low rpm. I looked at the fitting instructions a while ago, its basically telling you to remove the actuator motor and disconnect the two cables to the silencer and refit it. So the computer will still operate the actuator, but as theres not cables and valve obviously nothing will happen.

I was considering disconnecting the cables myself to see how much louder the bike would be at low rpm, i dont think it would make any difference at mid to high rpm. every aftermarket silencer for the 1100 will cause the same dilemma. Fit it, see whether you like it, if you don‘t, just put it back to standard and sell the silencer.

Look forward to your review (y) :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned, yeah it's easy to remove the actuator cables, Arrow provides very good fitting instructions. I wonder is honda using the actuator for more than just lower sound at low revs, or maybe also to give better low rev torque. Possibly to effect engine braking also.
If I fitted the Arrow just for a sound test, that would be an expensive test. I would have to take a hit on resale value, its currently unused and can be returned if need be.
Before purchasing i presumed the actuator was in the link pipe so wasn't concerned with it.
But now I want to be sure before I remove it, if it is a good or bad idea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That'd be the sort of info I'd love to hear from some1 who has already changed away from a standard silencer. What's the torque, power, feel & noise differ of arrow compared to standard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does any1 know at what revs does the actuator valve open on the silencer? Or does it close or stay open when you shut the throttle off?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Doesn’t the arrow have more torque at low rpm than the standard pipe?
I wouldn't want more low end. Might adversely affect the gravel and off-road modes. More top end power on the street in Tour and Urban would be fine though as long as no low-end is lost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked Arrow for a dyno graph showing their power & torque vs Honda. This showed minor losses for both so I returned it. Anyway I was very happy with how the standard pipe sounds & looks. Honda have also done a great job making it much shorter on the 1100 vs 1000. Aftermarket pipes all seem to look too long in comparison. Now a year later I'm still more than happy I left all as is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I asked Arrow for a dyno graph showing their power & torque vs Honda. This showed minor losses for both so I returned it. Anyway I was very happy with how the standard pipe sounds & looks. Honda have also done a great job making it much shorter on the 1100 vs 1000. Aftermarket pipes all seem to look too long in comparison. Now a year later I'm still more than happy I left all as is.
thanks for the reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts