Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
Finally I got my so much wanted driver’s license last tuesday. I’m from Lisbon area in Portugal and I’m 43.
I started riding this April, so as newbie as I can get. For professional \ geographic reasons I decided to buy a 125cc Honda Forza scooter for my daily commute (round 70 km/day). I always liked bicycles and motorcycles. The first never were a problem but the latter my parents always persuaded me not to get one due to their high risk of accident.
I enjoy so much riding that I decided to get my drivers license.
How did I get here?! Well since the early models, I always liked trail bikes (now they like to call it adventure) and the one I liked the most was the Africa Twin.
When I went to the dealerships getting info about the Forza I saw the new AT and I confess I got quite impressed. Especially the tri-color, which i find evocative of the first AT’s.
In the beginning I even asked myself if an AT wouldn’t be more than I can handle, but talking with some friends which have been riding 20+ years and even with my driving instructor (who participates in amateur championships) and all of them say that the AT is an excellent bike and by no means is more that i can handle. They generally said that if I was thinking in getting some supersport, then they would advise me not to get it, but with an AT there shouldn’t be a problem, if ridden in a sensible manner.
I even got to the dealership, in which I trust, the owner is a former portuguese motocross champion who also participated in the Dakar Rally, and asked for his advice as an expert, as someone who’s an expert and has many Kms and years under the belt. I got to him and told him that I was looking for a bike that would be good for my daily commute, with low consumption, reliable, and that would allow me for some long journeys with my Mrs (and luggage) and after ten years would still get me a huge smile… So he asked me if I knew what would be his answer… I replied that I could guess but maybe it wouldn’t be what I wanted to hear (I thought he would be ‘pushing’ me to the NC750X) but he said that that bike would be the AT! So this is more or less how I got here. Please feel free to share your thoughts.
Sorry for such a long text!
I wish you all, pleasant and safe rides! ;)
Manel

·
Registered
287 Posts
Manel, Go for the DCT bike, you'll find it a breeze, the whole bikes so easy to ride and handle,

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you're on the right path.
An AT DCT sounds like the bike you need. A little less to worry about with all the comfort and power you'll need.
Some say it's under power, but I personally think it's enough for road and trail. Maybe not when it's fully packed loaded with a passenger, but for regular touring and riding, the DCT is pure joy, yes, especially in the city.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, thanks for your answers.
Today I went to my usual dealership and test rode three bikes. The CB500X, the NC750X (manual transmission) and finally the AT DCT. In Portugal we have a saying that goes more or less like this "The virtue is in the middle". Well today was the exception that confirms the rule. I liked the CB500X very much. Very nimble, very agile but still very reassuring while turning. I really enjoyed the 'new life' or the different personality of the engine above 5000rpm. A really interesting bike.
The NC I liked the torquey feel, but I felt the bike bulkier and less agile than the CB.
The AT I tested had two extras, the foot gear lever and the Akrapovic slip on exhaust. Guys, I found myself screaming yoooohoooo inside my helmet. I know this may sound odd but i felt more confident with the AT than with the NC and from rider's perspective it looked more slim than the NC (although I know it is slightly heavier), it's just like Elvisto said, it's a breeze.
I'm still thinking about testing one or two bikes from the competition (F800GS, Tiger 800 XC) but the AT was fantastic. I guess I'll just test the other bikes just not to say that I didn't test anything else.

DiogoCRF sorry for answering in english, it's just so everyone can understand. Indeed I was delighted. I'm just waiting for EICMA to see if there are any updates for 2017. My dealership told me that they're not expecting any apart from a Rally version of the AT created by an italian company. Some kind of 'preparation' i guess. Nevertheless I even asked for numbers regarding the test drive bike and the discount seems pretty interesting. If there are no changes in for the 2017 model, it is very likely I'll keep the test drive AT.

Washryc, I guess that engine will be enough for some journeys with my Mrs and panniers and stuff. My idea of cruising speed on highway is near 120/140 kph. I guess that torquey engine won't have much trouble in keeping that rhythm. Will it?

Feel free to comment.

Have pleasant and safe rides everyone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcom to the forum and, hopefully to the group of AT riders Manel!!!

By going for the AT (which version ever) you barely could do something wrong. Because remember, the most important thing when riding a bike is always located between the ears of the driver.

I ride on AT with ABS + TCS, no DTC but, I'm "old school" - riding for 45 years. My first bikes have no disc breaks, no ABS, no TCS, no electric starter and other gimmicks and you could repair most things with a pocket knife.

Have fun, a save riding and

alwas keep the rubber side down.

Welcome again and greetings, gerhard

·
Registered
159 Posts
Washryc, I guess that engine will be enough for some journeys with my Mrs and panniers and stuff. My idea of cruising speed on highway is near 120/140 kph. I guess that torquey engine won't have much trouble in keeping that rhythm. Will it?

Feel free to comment.

Have pleasant and safe rides everyone.
I can't say for a full load or with a pillion, but I did do a small 2000km+ road trip when I first got the AT.

I'm about 93kgs in full gear, had a tank bag 6kgs, pillion bag 10kgs, and a waterproof bag 15kgs. So total of just over 30kgs. I felt the bike was fine on the standard suspension setting. The trip was all roads, 50/50 autobahn/backroads. In all situations I had no problems over taking or powering thru to let cars pass me when I was going at 150kph. There were times when a car would tailgate me on the autobahn while I was going 160-170kph, and I had no problems hearing down and speeding up to 200kph. But don't forget, the factory speedo is optimistic.

In saying all this, there are others who feel the suspension is under sprung. I find this on the road when I'm on the twisties after owning the bike for a while and have had some suspension dailed in. I'm almost at the limit of the rear without calculating for extra gear. So do your own research and listen to what others are saying and take in whatever you fee is believable to you.

Good luck and go test ride the other bikes. I had done the similar tests, but for me.... the DCT came out the winner. :) but that's me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In saying all this, there are others who feel the suspension is under sprung. I find this on the road when I'm on the twisties after owning the bike for a while and have had some suspension dailed in. I'm almost at the limit of the rear without calculating for extra gear. So do your own research and listen to what others are saying and take in whatever you fee is believable to you.
When you say 'have had some suspension dailed in' do you mean that you have been fine tuning its settings like rebound, compression speed?

And when you say that you're almost at the limit of the rear without calculating for extra gear, your talking about setting up the rear shock/spring for more weight, right?

Sorry about my rusty english. ;)

I guess what you're saying is that the fact of being 'underpowered' or the suspension being a bit soft is just a matter of 'taste/likings' or one's level or demand...
As a newbie and coming from a 125cc scooter I suppose everything will be more that enough for me. Which doesn't mean that as time goes by and Kms get piled up I won't become more sensible to this or that weak spot. ;)

I'm trying to read everything I can about the AT, so I can make a more conscious decision.

Thank you all for your opinion and advice.
There are so many subjects I would like to talk about and ask for advice... I don't even know where to start.

Keep posting your thoughts.

Wish you all safe and pleasant rides!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes yes and yes.
I'm on 28 clicks on the possible 35. And others I have read, have reached its limit on adjustments.

Keep on doing your research, plenty of info out there, just ask and people are likely to have a reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts