Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

After doing a deal on a 2019 AT with only 2,100 miles, from Thunder Road Motorcycles, Gloucester I travel down the 190+ miles on Monday to trade in my Tiger 1050

After they connect my heated jacket lead swap over my Garmin Zumo mounting cradle I will head back up North to home in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

I plan to rise at 4.00 am and be on the road by 4.30 am. With coffee/wee/breakfast breaks I should be there before 10.

The weather looks good with rain over the next day or two to wash away the salt and Monday looks frost-free.

Super excited and only 3 more sleeps to becoming a fully paid-up member.

I posted some photos of the bike I bought with panniers, top box, touring screen and centre stand.

Oxford heated grips, and Garmin wiring harness are being fitted tomorrow.

Thank God I have a heated jacket and heated grips both ways!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Speedo007,

Where do you live Scandanavia maybe?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I live in central Texas and my riding season ends for about two weeks in August and two weeks in February. I'll go for joyrides at night in late August - but I rode in 114 degree heat a few years ago and the embossed decals on my fairing melted and slid down and back. The blacktop highways are noticably hotter than city streets - so it can be like riding it a hot air fryer. We get about two weeks in February where it is wet and freezes every night. I'll ride in snow in the Carolinas and Colorado - but fresh ice every morning means the bike stays home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Enjoy the day out, you will love the 19 AT, ( I picked mine up from Liverpool, similar length journey 2 months ago, it was like Xmas day as a kid)
Looking forward to pics.?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I live in central Texas and my riding season ends for about two weeks in August and two weeks in February. I'll go for joyrides at night in late August - but I rode in 114 degree heat a few years ago and the embossed decals on my fairing melted and slid down and back. The blacktop highways are noticably hotter than city streets - so it can be like riding it a hot air fryer. We get about two weeks in February where it is wet and freezes every night. I'll ride in snow in the Carolinas and Colorado - but fresh ice every morning means the bike stays home.

I went for a ride in Australia it was 41C/106F and man it is hot (though compared to our very hot summer days it was super dry so even with my leather jacket helmet gloves and boots I wasn't uncomfortable), but you do need to drink a lot of water cause you dehydrate without knowing it.

Was going towards MT.Buller and I would leave marks on the pavement. In the curves the pavement liquefied like if it had just been done.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Northumbrian,

Yesss love this bike!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I arrived at Thunder Road, Gloucester at 9.05 on Monday after a 193-mile trip. My new to me bike was gleaming in the showroom!
The reception and techies were very helpful and fitted my heated jacket lead and also a new optimate lead for a new charger as I discovered the bike has a Datatool TrakKing fitted. I'm not sure whether to register this or disconnect it? and I also needed a new ram mount for my Zumo 660 as the bars are thicker on the AT than my Tiger which they had in stock.
Just over 2 hours later and 2 coffees, and I was ready to go with a full tank FOC and no charge for swapping over my kit.
Their sales executive Richard Granville was brilliant!!
The journey home was bone dry and sunny!
The bike felt different and exciting to be on with a very comfortable seat and plenty of room. The instruments were nice and clear. It felt beautifully balanced!
Clutch and gearbox all good, but the throttle felt snatchy at lower speeds and maybe even motorway speeds? - maybe I will get used to this or be able to ride around it?
This machine is a looker - whenever I stopped at motorway services I sat so I could see her!
The only 2 issues for me are massive wind buffeting from the touring screen which I need to change - just like the Tiger!
I can't lock the Honda top box - I was told they are all like this!?! I spent 15 minutes at the services trying and when I got home discovered it was not locked. The locking handle seems very loose when lifted and moves from side to side and doesn't seem to grip the lid correctly. I will try again tomorrow.
A minor issue was the low fuel warning coming on after 120 miles - I just need to get used to the range and ride by distance - I'll know the MPG when I fill up
I arrived home at 16.40, almost exactly 12 hours after setting off 393.5 miles in total, BUT THE BEST WAS YET TO COME!
I left the bike running for a while and marvelled at the fantastic headlights and illuminated front indicators, BUT when I turned her round to push her back into my garage it was a piece of cake. It always took me 3 attempts to get the Tiger over the 1" lip into the garage, BUT the AT was in the first time!!
When I used the centre stand it was easy peasy!! So much easier than the Tiger; and this was after a very long day, and I was dead beat!
My biggest concern when considering this machine was the weight vs the Tiger. So pleased I took the plunge and a pleasure to be part of this forum and owning my third Honda. My previous Hondas were a Hornet 600 and a Varadero 1000.

Reactions: zippysworld
1 - 10 of 10 Posts