Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited the NEC in England and headed straight to the Honda stsnd to see the new version Africa Twins. Obviously, we're very interested in the Adventure version and it doesn't disappoint. Visually it is slightly bigger and has quite a few subtle and not so subtle differences to the (now monikered) standard model. The paint scheme is really lovely and it feels a much bigger bike to sit on. Legs splayed wider apart due to the larger tank and I was on tippytoes with the seat in the high position.....it's definitely not for the short of leg (I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inside leg). Unfortunately, the battery was dead as the display stayed blank when I turned the ignition on, so I'll have to wait for the new models to hit the shop floors to see how the new clocks look in real life, but the screen hood looks like a nice touch. There's loads of lovely detail changes that I can't be bothered to detail here, but suffice to say, if you do want to buy this new Adventure model, you won't be disappointed. Personally, as much as I think it's nice, I don't think it's for me as my current bike satisfies my daily needs and maybe I dread how little I'd get for my own bike as a trade-in.

According to the Honda rep I was talking too, it's arrival in the UK is due April '18 with a premium of £1500 over the standard model.

Oh, and the two bikes on display are heading to Germany next for their show and after that.......they'll be crushed.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll want to ride one of the new ones before I make a decision: The improvements are nice, especially the ride by wire (no excuse for not having cruise now) and the extra fuel, but the Adventure Sport adds 29 pounds to an already heavy bike, and it adds it up high on the bike in fuel, tank, and high crashbars, and a raised seat height, raising the centre of gravity, and deteriorating performance. The secret to the great handling of the AT is mass centralisation down low for an extremely low centre of gravity. I think the new model is an attempt to market to folk who would otherwise go for a GS, or a KTM (without the hp - while allegedly the mid-range has been improved, the motor has the same terminal figures). I am more than happy with my 2016. If they came out with cruise, I'd retrofit it though...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Davy F,

Thanks for that brief insight, I was thinking to myself 'why would any manufacturer tart-up (or improve the aesthetics if you prefer) and produce a m/c that by the sound of it will require more upper body strength to fully control it ?' I think the mid range torque is to be welcomed, however I would have expected to see an up lift in the bhp too. I hope the suspension has been improved to meet the expectations of the adventurers amongst us. Suppose its too much to wish for some WP sussies !

M

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I visited the stand today for the same reasons as Davy F - and I'm the same height and inside leg as he.
With the seat in the high position (which is how I ride my AT) then as Davy is, I too am on tip toe. It's better with the seat in the low position. But I challenged the Honda rep to install it in that position. In 20 attempts we got it in twice. It's a bugger.
Interestingly though the rep says they have tried the seat off the standard bike and it fits and gives another 15mm lower

I managed to talk to their technical guy for 15 minutes and got some good gen and some gen I don't trust.
Firstly he says that the problem with the heated grips is the heat sink effect of the aluminium bars but then told me it was/is the control unit that needs replacing behind the left side seat panel. Hmmmm And he said that if the dealer does a full ECM reset it will correct the 10% over-reading speedo and 20% overreading external thermometer ..... hmmmmmm again.
He said they have done a few things with the engine - definitely changed the balance shafts, definitely changed some things in the DCT, and I think he said they have done something with the mapping that boosts the mid range and makes it smoother
When I told the rep that my second set of spokes were on the way out he said he thinks if I take it back when the new bike is out they will replace the wheels again but with the new stainless steel spokes. By the way they didn't look any thicker to me (but it is possible that the bike was a mock up and for now still has the plated spoked wheels.

As Davy says the bike is very attractive - it sparkles and I think the reason for that is twofold. They have added some electric blue metallic as well as the navy blue but mainy it's because the frame is white instead of black - take a look at Davy's picture. Also the swing arm is in a silver colour rather than charcoal. It all works very well.

I noticed some extra air deflectors on the fairing and these have slots in them so one would imagine they have done some air tunnel testing. My conclusion on beffeting is that most of it is coming round the sides of the screen so these deflectors may well help - I then noticed that the standard model had them fitted as well (or rather smaller ones) so I think I will buy a pair.

I checked all the engine casings and they showed no signs of the manufacturing defects reported recently on here and which mine suffers from. I then checked 3 of the current version bikes that were on nearby stands and they all had the poor quality engine casings. Here's a pic of one

They have changed the layout of the DCT controls on the right twistgrip. It looks good to me, and I think it will mean I can change between D and S without having to use my left hand to do so - the same cluster is on the standard model 2018 bike.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I mentioned that somewhere here earlier, big omission for me is the cruise control option. With the new AT being throttle by wire, it should not be a big deal...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think I mentioned that somewhere here earlier, big omission for me is the cruise control option. With the new AT being throttle by wire, it should not be a big deal...
I asked the reps on the stand and they had no explanation why there's no control on 99.9% of Honda bikes. It's not really that they have a philosophical objection to it as the new Goldwing was on the stand sporting full cruise control (and DCT)
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts