Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to spend a small fortune on equipment for my 2017 AT DCT purchased damaged. Keeping costs down by getting Tusk bag mounts from Rocky Mountain ATV and Pelican look alike bags from Harbor Freight. $29.95 per bag at HF on sale. Found fairing and case bars from Heed of Poland. $305 shipped to me in US. Both items are well made and strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bracket kit from Tusk is designed to be using their bags or Pelican bags. Since the Harbor Freight ones are a copy of the Pelicans the quick release mount brackets are included in the kit. They include a method to secure the bags against theft.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, wish I would have seen this before buying the TUSK aluminum panniers. The pannier rack came with all the mounting hardware and brackets so it would have been a cinch to install the pelican like cases.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve seen those cases at harbor freight. Honestly, they are too small to be useful for any sort of touring. They are nicely heavy duty, cheap as sin, and would be great for day trips.

What I’m using is a set of Seahorse 720 cases. They are quite a bit larger than the harbor freight ones, equally as indestructible, perhaps a bit better looking as the Seahorse cases don’t have the testarosa ribs (for your pleasure?) but slightly more expensive at just over $50 each, plus a bit more if you want keyed locks. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another option for the mounting and locks are the Caribou Cases DIY kits for Hepco Becker racks. I have their full kit with the Pelican cases but they also sell a DIY setup that includes lock cylinders, mounts and straps to internally secure your gear if the case it's completely full. They also offer "skirts" to hold the cases open about 45 degrees while mounted, so your gear doesn't all fall out. Another really solid option that can be used on just about any Pelican style case. Check em out! https://cariboucases.com/do-it-yourself-kits/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harbor Freight sells a much larger bag that will work in this setup but I don't care for the truck on 2 wheels look.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got the Honda OEM bags ( bought used for $150) and a Fast Rack attached to tail section and I'm thinking about one of the Harbor Frt boxes for all my tool needs. Tire Irons, wrenches, air, pump extra tube ect, patches.
With the tail case I can ride without the OEM bags but still carry everything I need for repairs and airing down and up for off road riding.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Go over to the KLR forum they have a lot of cheap ways of doing things (I know I use to be one - still recovering),
LOL, I’ve seen plastic milk crates to old luggage used there... but Harbor Freight does have some nice knockoff Pelican lookalikes at like 1/16th the price of Pelicans :wink2: had one as a top case on my KLR and two 40mm ammo cans as panniers 40# each but pretty much nuke proof... my WHOLE set up for the Kaw cost around $230.00

1 - 17 of 17 Posts