Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that Honda issued a recall on DCT models due to spokes going rusty? I'm concerned that my 2016 bike has not been done and will suffer as a result of British winters!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
You have to go and gurn to your dealer AFAIK. They do it on an individual basis rather than issuing a recall....much cheaper that way.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My 2017 bike has just had new wheels fitted apparently -I haven't got it back yet from the service. I am very disappointed though because I thought the 2017 yr bikes had the 3 problems sorted. Mine has also had two sets of Honda heated grips that have failed.
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Davy and Mike. My heated grips are dodgy too, with only the throttle grip side working!! Dealer told me that a lot of customers are experiencing problems with Honda heated grips and are swapping to Oxford, as they are far superior in every way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah my dealer in Australia told me that Honda Australia will pretty much change out spokes pretty much straight away now that they have replacements (don't know about you poms but). I am getting mine changed next week when I get my bike serviced. When I took it in I was expecting them to have to sort of argue the point but he just pretty much said they would order parts straight away without really looking at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah my dealer in Australia told me that Honda Australia will pretty much change out spokes pretty much straight away now that they have replacements (don't know about you poms but). I am getting mine changed next week when I get my bike serviced. When I took it in I was expecting them to have to sort of argue the point but he just pretty much said they would order parts straight away without really looking at it.
what were the spokes like, i have a 2016 model the dealer here in perth said honda had fixed the problem, i've only done 1500 ks so far, so i will have to keep a close watch on them, also what should look out for on the spokes, thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
what were the spokes like, i have a 2016 model the dealer here in perth said honda had fixed the problem, i've only done 1500 ks so far, so i will have to keep a close watch on them, also what should look out for on the spokes, thanks
They had dulled pretty badly and lost the shiny finish within about 2 months of buying bike. The front was much worse than the back. I bought my bike in November of last year right at the start of a pretty big wet season up here in darwin so riding in the rain might not of helped. Keep and eye on it mate and if you see any sort of dulling hit the dealer up, he should sort you out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I bought a 2017 bike and the spokes corroded. I got it in April and before leaving the showroom I sat and painted all the spokes with acf50.
The symptoms on mine were black spots and bigger areas but only on some spokes and the affected spokes went sort of lumpy - a sort of faint Hammerite finish. They fitted new wheels at the 8k service last week - must be a new policy maybe dealers had been complaining that it was too expensive to re-lace them with new spokes.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts