Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading some of the posts on this forum. And I have had the dreaded dct stalling problem. Mine happens when its warm and randomly. But it can cut out at speed, so have to quickly change lanes and get to safety. Mine is a 2018 DCT 16k miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stalled my Africa Twin 1100 today for the first time! I was very shocked as I did not know it can happen. The bike just went for its first service and only covered 800 miles. The bike was not cold or particularly warm when it happened. At a traffic light in D mode, just a normal smooth acceleration and it stalled. I will update if it happens again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
IMHO this is a fuel issue, 87 octane E0 for me and never a problem, 20K now. E0 was the ticket for the 11 250XCF that was notorious for stalling as well.

Ethanol is a killer.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
Stalled my Africa Twin 1100 today for the first time! I was very shocked as I did not know it can happen. The bike just went for its first service and only covered 800 miles. The bike was not cold or particularly warm when it happened. At a traffic light in D mode, just a normal smooth acceleration and it stalled. I will update if it happens again.
Wow - stalling is indeed an uncommon encounter @Ciro. Is your 1100 an ATAS?

Hey - welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO this is a fuel issue, 87 octane E0 for me and never a problem, 20K now. E0 was the ticket for the 11 250XCF that was notorious for stalling as well.

Ethanol is a killer.
Hi I don't normally bother where I get my fuel....I am not a very experienced biker either...Thank you for the advise, I need to learn more about this stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2020 AT DCT, too, and have experienced a few stalls starting out from traffic lights. I’ve got 4000 miles on it. Probably 3 stalls in total and all three within the past 500 miles or so. I don’t have access to non ethanol fuel. I have downloaded and installed the recent software update adding Android compatibility—which I have yet to see work reliably. Pretty sure all the stalls have occurred since this update. Any chance the update is the culprit? Otherwise, I’ve had no problems with the bike and enjoy riding it immensely. I am, however, more cautious starting out from a stop, especially if in traffic. Sometimes, when I start out, I can tell there’s a drop in power even as I’m twisting the throttle. I back off on the throttle and the power picks right back up and then I can twist without worry of stall. Next time the beast needs a shop visit, I’ll mention these stalls.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2020 AT DCT, too, and have experienced a few stalls starting out from traffic lights. I’ve got 4000 miles on it. Probably 3 stalls in total and all three within the past 500 miles or so. I don’t have access to non ethanol fuel. I have downloaded and installed the recent software update adding Android compatibility—which I have yet to see work reliably. Pretty sure all the stalls have occurred since this update. Any chance the update is the culprit? Otherwise, I’ve had no problems with the bike and enjoy riding it immensely. I am, however, more cautious starting out from a stop, especially if in traffic. Sometimes, when I start out, I can tell there’s a drop in power even as I’m twisting the throttle. I back off on the throttle and the power picks right back up and then I can twist without worry of stall. Next time the beast needs a shop visit, I’ll mention these stalls.
That's an interesting observation. Reminds me of a Kawasaki I once had. The culprit turned out to be the fuel cap. It wasn't allowing the tank to breathe properly. It wasn't an issue at low RPM, but get on the gas and it starved and sputtered. That was many years ago, but it's the first thing to come to mind.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2016 in about 75,000 miles stalled mabie 8 times. All from taking off at a stop.

I just chalked it up to fuel of some sort. It would go 10k miles no stall then one time it would do it.

I expect the same on the 2020, hasn’t done it yet in 1200 miles, but I am sure it will.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
247 Posts
My 2020 ATAS DCT ES stalled one time while on my trip out west. I was stopped and getting ready to turn left onto Rt 66. That was most likely around 2000 +/- miles. I had already cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the first in tank filter. I was in “D” Touring and lightly turning the throttle. Sputtered and died. Started right back up. I was at higher than normal altitude, 1100 ft here in middle Tennessee. I had filled it up 20 minutes prior with 10% ethanol, and it may have been 86 octane, not my normal 87 ethanol free gas I normally put in it. I just rolled 8,000 miles on it last weekend in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. It has never stalled since that first occurrence. What I do differently these days is I always use sport mode and rarely apply throttle twist lightly. 5 days ago I was shooting across a four lane highway, forgot I put Wheelie Control on 2. You guessed it! Front end came up after 10 feet of first gear acceleration! I’m supposing 30 degrees of front end elevation was acceptable to wheelie control 2! Fun stuff! First wheelie I had done in 45 years of riding. I made a mental note to myself. Not so aggressive on the throttle in first gear unless I want to do a wheelie!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very interesting. Funny enough I was recently thinking about installing the software update for Android as I got an Android mobile phone....Now I am having second thoughts...Here in the UK the standard for petrol is 95 octane, nothing less. (something I learned recently...). For what I gather, there could be many reasons why the bikes can stall, and yet it may just be a random thing....As I said I will post something again in the near future. I just love the AT with DCT, the idea that you cannot stall it and you do not need to keep changing gears, was really something that appealed to me; such a relaxing way to ride. But now taking off in heavy traffic, I am a bit apprehensive.....Will see, maybe with time, and no stallings, it will go away.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS DCT
15 Posts
Hi all,

I’m from Istanbul, Turkey with having an ATAS DCT 2020.

I wanted to ask if there is a solution about the stall problem. I’ve done so many attemps to my dealer abouthelp but they stucked on the traditional insights.

So, i’ll be happy if you find a logic solution :(

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
Hi all,

I’m from Istanbul, Turkey with having an ATAS DCT 2020.

I wanted to ask if there is a solution about the stall problem. I’ve done so many attemps to my dealer abouthelp but they stucked on the traditional insights.

So, i’ll be happy if you find a logic solution :(
Hey @Pixelperfe.ct - sorry to read you have joined a small, exclusive "stall club" here at the Forum. Using the "Search Community" widget you might find other ideas DCT Forum members have tried and some successfully to address this behaviour. Give the search a try.

In the meantime, welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS DCT
15 Posts
Hey @Pixelperfe.ct - sorry to read you have joined a small, exclusive "stall club" here at the Forum. Using the "Search Community" widget you might find other ideas DCT Forum members have tried and some successfully to address this behaviour. Give the search a try.

In the meantime, welcome to the Forum!

@DoubleThumper thank you!

I’ve already searched the site about stalling but as you would now i need a solution :)

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
269 Posts
I wonder if the dct needs a reset, maybe its grabbing to early

·
Registered
2020 ATAS DCT
15 Posts
@rustynut2 i don't think it's a DCT problem btw. Also it can be, haha.

I think there is micro-electrical message issue about throttle-by-wire. Just my ignorant thought :)

In the other hand, is there any real Honda customer-care-guy or service-guy around here? Isn't this a real threat for the Honda riders? How can we put pressure on the dealers without Honda backed us?

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
247 Posts
Very interesting. Funny enough I was recently thinking about installing the software update for Android as I got an Android mobile phone....Now I am having second thoughts...Here in the UK the standard for petrol is 95 octane, nothing less. (something I learned recently...). For what I gather, there could be many reasons why the bikes can stall, and yet it may just be a random thing....As I said I will post something again in the near future. I just love the AT with DCT, the idea that you cannot stall it and you do not need to keep changing gears, was really something that appealed to me; such a relaxing way to ride. But now taking off in heavy traffic, I am a bit apprehensive.....Will see, maybe with time, and no stallings, it will go away.
@Ciro I installed the Android update 1000+ miles ago and have had no adverse issues whatsoever. However, I have not tried to interface it with any android phone. It works with my iPhone with a few minor glitches playing music via Apple Car Play.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
The encoding and decoding of the throttle input I would argue is a critical signal to the ECU. If that device was detected as being "out of bounds" on any encoded signal event, I would expect an error code (of some sort) to be thrown. Of course, I could be wrong about how Honda deals with a damaged throttle input signal.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS DCT
15 Posts
The encoding and decoding of the throttle input I would argue is a critical signal to the ECU. If that device was detected as being "out of bounds" on any encoded signal event, I would expect an error code (of some sort) to be thrown. Of course, I could be wrong about how Honda deals with a damaged throttle input signal.
I would expect too, but i’m so confused about the stall problems keep going and Honda just sits.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had my fourth stall on my 2021 ATAS DCT yesterday, about 1950 miles total on the OD. Yet again, from a stop in traffic, low throttle input, S1 Urban mode. Luckily I was shunted to left of a lane so the aggressive car behind me did not rear end me.

Every single one of my stalls has been taking off from a stop with low throttle input, or fully idle stopped in traffic.

Weirdly, shortly before that, the horn wasn't working earlier that afternoon, but did after I parked the bike, off for awhile (I'm still waiting on Helm to restock the service manual so I can look into how that's wired).

I have a case number with Honda and have asked them to read some of these threads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts