Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Place for all negatives about the AT.

I think the negatives are almost more important then the positives. You know what you like and what you want, but more important is knowing what you don't like and if you can live with those dislikes in the long run...

Couple quickies from here

• Long 1st gear. When idling the AT trundles at 14km/h - this is too fast for technical terrain. Can hopefully be fixed by a smaller front sprocket.
  • The readout display uses negative LCD (black background, light lettering) which is sometimes hard to read during daylight.
  • The throttle is a little too sensitive on the manual model – not a problem on the DCT.
  • The stepped seat is distracting when you ride technical terrain. Honda isn't planning to sell a straight bench unless customers demand it. Companies like Touratech will probably provide one at a premium price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ordered a DCT tricolor, but disliking Honda's insistence that a high seat option doesn't exist at point of order....... despite them dishing this data out at the shows

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ordered a DCT tricolor, but disliking Honda's insistence that a high seat option doesn't exist at point of order....... despite them dishing this data out at the shows
this was Honda UK saying so at the show? Have you checked with other dealers to make sure your guys not just giving it to you?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spoke to Honda UK, who confirmed the options are available - but also said the UK dealer network had not been sent details or pricing, and would have it by the end of the week

Poor coordination really!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two problems I noted quickly. First, the CR1000L does not come with the centerstand as a standard option. The centerstand comes in handy making repairs and parking in tight spots where you can't use the side stand. It's hard for me to imagine why a company would release the all new adventure touring bike without a centerstand?? Also, there is no cruise control. I understand that the new AT is more offroad oriented but you have to get there first and that means you might have to cover thousands of miles of super slab. Honda, please fix these!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I two am disappointed that Honda did not equip the AT with a center stand, but I,m more upset with the delivery dates. They should be 2017 models.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: the long first gear... that's one of the many reasons I'm going DCT. I do ride off-road, sometimes technical slow stuff. When I saw the video of a test ride (somewhere in England, on a test track) with them basically idling along at about 2 to 3 mph between cones without any issue, I fell in love. An "automatic" that actually worked like an automatic. Self feathering, if you will. They said you can't stall it if even if you tried. That's all I need.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cruise control won't be added any time soon. The AT isn't ride-by-wire so it'd be very expensive and complicated for Honda to add cruise control.

I'm going to get an MCCruise system fitted after market.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and comfort personal.
I swapped from BMW 1200 GS with all the electronics because I don't want to worry about , or pay for repairs of said electronics.
A simple, modern, quality bike that does what it says on the 'tin'.
When a BMW switch, made in China, costs £220 to replace I decided to swap.
I never liked the cruise control much, adjusting suspension is simple once you work out the settings and there will never be expensive motors to repair, ride modes I only ever used road and dynamic and didn't notice that much difference.
I loved the GS but am not prepared to own one out of warranty.
I have 600 miles on AT, first service this afternoon, and I'm more than happy.
I hope to have this in my garage forever and don't expect to be disappointed, I might add a BMW R80 GS (1984) to keep it company if I can find a nice one at the right price.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've been trialling the BMW GS/GSA as well as the AT. I thought I wanted cruise and electronic suspension etc. But once I rode the two close together I realised that, whilst shorter on power, the Honda is smoother (engine-wise and ride-wise), less turbulent and just as much fun. My only drift to the dark side of electronics is the DCT gearbox as I think it is really nice and adds an element of fun - and I imagine it will be fantastic at the end of a long day when trying to find the camp-site or hotel and/or being stuck in traffic. And as it's a Honda you'd hope it won't give up 10 minutes after the warranty expires.

So, essentially, my only dislike is the tubes and as that has been done to death and I've chosen to ignore it I guess it doesn't matter.

(My dealer is also refitting their showroom and will have a coffee machine - so there is even less reason to visit a BMW dealer).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I two am disappointed that Honda did not equip the AT with a center stand, but I,m more upset with the delivery dates. They should be 2017 models.
I guess the bikes and included accessories vary from country to country. We have 3 models in Australia. Base model (CRF1000) with no ABS/Traction control, bulb indicators and no bash plate (so I'm told). Second model (CRF1000A) has ABS, Torque control, LED indicators, bash plate and centre stand. Third model (CRF1000D) has the same accessories as the ABS with the DCT transmission.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have the same spec options here , and silver and black seem to be the only colour options for the "base model "

·
Registered
8 Posts
Things that I dislike are:
I wish the inlet valves were rocker adjusted( like the exhaust), to make home servicing easier and cheaper.
I wish the silencer can wasn't so big and high (but most bikes in this class are nowadays) -panniers just don't look good or fit well with these high silencer.
I would have preferred a 19" spoked front wheel to lessen the overall height of the bike (I only ride on road).
I would have like it to be about 215kg wet.
I still think up side down forks are a fashion - thing and think traditional forks are more reliable, easier to work on and more compliant.
However, I still think it is the best looking bike on the market!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not having cruise control will hopefully be addressed in the aftermarket as I'm sure it's not rocket science to develop, and there'l be plenty of demand
Is it a cable or wired throttle ?

Heated grips not warm enough for really cold days

1 - 20 of 105 Posts