Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Purchase cycling underwear with the butt pads either with foam or gel from ebay and wear those for extra support. I find it makes a huge difference without spoiling the look of the AT with an Air hawk seat cover of a sheep skin rug. To me both those items spoil the look of the AT.

The underwear gives the extra support required and are way cheaper!!!!

Cheers

Wadeo

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Purchase cycling underwear with the butt pads either with foam or gel from ebay and wear those for extra support. I find it makes a huge difference without spoiling the look of the AT with an Air hawk seat cover of a sheep skin rug. To me both those items spoil the look of the AT.

The underwear gives the extra support required and are way cheaper!!!!

Cheers

Wadeo
But when you stop for coffee you waddle off feeling like you've crapped yourself
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts
The most annoying for me is the really crappy gear change. This wasn't too much of an issue initially. Going into first from neutral was always a big "clunk" though. Changing up feels like there are small stones in the selector fork and it requires a really firm boot, it is notchy and hard. Changing down is smooth, no problem at all. At 3K now, thought it would get better but I actually think it is getting worse. It is starting to ruin my ride as I am overthinking gear changes all the time now. It is actually better without using the clutch. I have had the first service oil change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's the weirdest thing but I get smoother shifts using half clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Overall fantastic bike.......but I get "head shake" at around 160km/h.... put 50/50 trail tyres on and still have origioanl balancing weight?? I heard they should re-blance wheel with new tyre?? and since I put on Barkbusta hand guards (removed handle bare weights???) its way worse!!

Any advice?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dct shifts like a top fuel dragster. It has from the first time I rode it. I now have 12,0000 kms on it now. 70% is off road fsr. [just over 3 months old] My only dislike is the summer in Canada is to short. The more I ride this bike the more I like it, it is my go to bike! and god forbid if a had to have only one bike it would be a crf1000dct. [I do have 21 bikes in garage] my second go to is 2014 cb1100a, 3rd is 79 cbx, 4th is 83 cxt650t. ect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Overall fantastic bike.......but I get "head shake" at around 160km/h.... put 50/50 trail tyres on and still have origioanl balancing weight?? I heard they should re-blance wheel with new tyre?? and since I put on Barkbusta hand guards (removed handle bare weights???) its way worse!!

Any advice?

Rebalancing the wheel will probably solve the wobble.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Any advice?
Which tires are you running? I ask because I switched to the new MotoZ Tractionator Adventures and the front wonders like crazy, especially when new! I now have 4000 miles on them and they're better but still wiggles at higher speeds. I found that lowering the front air pressure helped a lot in my case but not ideal if the bikes staying on tarmac.

Now, all that being said.......on dirt, they're FANTASTIC!

Just my two cents, I think it's your tires and a combination of balance, tire groove and air pressure. I wouldn't go nuts thinking it's the Barkbusters or bar weights, that's over thinking the issue......IMO. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought mine second hand 3 months ago, rode 5000 km so far. I am especially disappointed with the honda accessories. Here my dislikes:
1. The commodos are a disaster: left hand: impossible to switch the left blinker on w/out touching the klackson. Useless switch for the traction control and unreachable and invisible in the dark the switch for the anti-fog beams, placed in the fairing. Board computer cumbersome to browse. For the right hand, a single switch for start and stop causes some problems (occasionally the engine starts and dies straight after).
2. The high wind shield polycarbonate distorts images on the sides and edges, and generates turbulence at high speeds. A real crap.
3. Saddle is a stone. This is a drama for a travel-oriented motorbike!
4. Hand guards way too narrow, do not offer any wind/cold protection.
5. Heated grips switch has a nasty unnecessary green light that glows in my eyes in the night!
6. Front and rear suspensions do not copy enough pavement unevenness: the bike tends to jump and rebound on bumps (but this might be a problem of my bike).
7. False neutrals and clonking gearbox, a shame for an Honda!
8. tyres glide on wet surfaces.

In conclusion, I am 54 and thought this would have been the bike for the rest of my life, but probably it will not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First gear is way too high. Feels more like a second gear. Impossible to ride slowly without riding the clutch. Poorly thought out by Honda.

Jerky throttle at low RPM. It is impossible to ride along at 15-20 MPH without having the engine jerk back and forth (slapping the chain) because the throttle is goofy.

I'm American, 6'2, 235 lbs with a size 14 (48) boot. the foot pegs, shifter and rear peddles were made for little people; most likely designed by a 4 ft, 85 lb. Japanese engineer. Why would Honda build a big bike like this and make the peddles for midgets?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree!

First, this is a cherry-poppin' post.

2nd, I couldn't agree more with this post. Great bike! I've had a major construction accident and two major back surgeries. This bike is easy on the back.

Haters.......gonna hate!

Not a rub or flame but it is funny to read some of the dislikes and the over analyzing. The tubed tire comments are the funniest for some reason......don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning and I get it but geeez.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but com'on......do more riding and less analyzing. It's a $13,000 adventure bike. Before this you were stuck with BMW and KTM on the upper end and everything cost too much $$$$, or you had the hammers and chisels KLR, DRZ, WR250R at the other end. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Okay.......I'll play along....... Dislikes, my butt hurts from the seat after putting 8hrs of riding in a day and not wanting to stop.......because this bikes way tooooo much fun! ;-)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found the stock screen to be terrible and I'm 6' 1". Even at lower speeds I'd get an unacceptable level of noise. I fixed this with a MRA vario screen and now all is good.

Foot pegs too small. Bought a pair of Honda XR600 pegs for $20 from ebay and they are great.

Seat.. actually I find the seat really comfortable.

Tubed tyres.. not a problem. All dirt bikes have them, as did the big KTMs. My old BMW 650 Dakar had them too and I just don't understand all the drama about them. People have been crossing the globe on tubed motor

Plastics look pretty exposed and there is a distinct lack of mounting points for engine guards which is weird considering what the bike was designed for. They do offer good wind protection for the legs though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bought mine in the start of last year and thinking of changing to something else. don't know what yet prob a kato
done 9000k and don't like all the things mentioned above either plus small tank, 30 yr old technology in the suspension, tyres too dear, center stand and chain make too much noise offroad

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the corrosion issue and not just spokes but spoke nipples also on the rear wheel. The front is only mildly impacted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't stand this digital tach craze that has hit the market recently. Dial and Needle is still the best. Didn't the Chevy Beretta have this "hockey stick" design in 1988? AT Tach is almost useless at a quick glance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't stand this digital tach craze that has hit the market recently. Dial and Needle is still the best. Didn't the Chevy Beretta have this "hockey stick" design in 1988? AT Tach is almost useless at a quick glance.
this......i don't get why Honda released the bike with a dash that's "dimly" lit.......what did they see that other folks can't? either that or allow for contrast/brightness adjustability. bothersome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi had my manual LA for a few days and as mentioned by others on this thread.
Tall first gear
Footpegs goes without saying.
Very jerky/ aggressive throttle response from no throttle to first little bit of throttle. Will get used to it but it is annoying when in first gear at slow speeds is the most annoying.
Other wise not to bad and the niggles will go away when I get used to them.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts