Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new on this forum, my name is Mike.

After ridding an NC750X DCT for three years I decide to upgrade to an AT DCT. Today I took a red AT DCT version for a long test ride and although I very much loved the bike, I was shocked at how much and how easily the bike`s from end dives under hard braking. Is this normal ? can this be adjusted to an acceptable level ?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new on this forum, my name is Mike.

After ridding an NC750X DCT for three years I decide to upgrade to an AT DCT. Today I took a red AT DCT version for a long test ride and although I very much loved the bike, I was shocked at how much and how easily the bike`s from end dives under hard braking. Is this normal ? can this be adjusted to an acceptable level ?

Thanks guys.
Hi Mike, you could add some more compression damping, simple enough adjustment but you can also take the view that this is a trade-off for having a bike with long travel suspension. You can also take the view that this is not a trade-off but a characteristic of a long travel suspension bike and adjust to this style. I tried to reduce mine a little with extra compression damping and it does reduce it somewhat but at the expense of a harder ride up front.

You will now get a bunch of posts telling you to spend $1000-$2000 revalving or changing everything about your suspension. I'm only joking guys, chill!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, I'm Assuming your background is Road Riding (feel free to correct me here on any points you disagree with).
I'm an avid off-road rider and suspension is designed with an intended purpose in mind.

On my CRF450X the suspension makes AT suspension feel short in its travel and overly soft.
The 450 resists bottoming well on hard hits and whoops as it has been designed with high speed desert/enduro riding in mind which is something i enjoy.

The Africa Twin in my mind is too soft for my type of riding (se above) and I have already found the "bump stops" (ok so just the end of travel both front and rear) and even got very close to a high speed accident in which running out of travel and hitting the following whoop at nearly 60mph with essentially a solid rear end which promptly tried to shoot me off into the adjacent scrub.

Don't worry I have a point, i quickly learnt that the Africa twin in stock form isn't designed to do what my 450 is.

I also learnt quickly that the AT is a compromise between off-road ability and on road manners. Consequently i started riding it as such and it performed everywhere flawlessly.

the whoops at maybe 35mph were fine for the AT to handle and also when i got on a seemingly endless gravel road it handled 80mph perfectly as well (450 doesn't to flat roads well it vibrates suspension is harsh and the seat is uncomfortable)

ok the point. The NC is probably much better suited to pure road touring sharp twisties and quick on road handling than the AT, and my CRF is probably much better suited to 65-70mph whoops and off-road riding than the AT.

Thats the point of the AT to be able to do what i like to do on my 450 albeit slower.
But also do what you like to do on your NC but perhaps with less refinement.
It also has to do everything between thus the suspension has to be a compromise.
It's probably perfect for its intended range of use especially for those potholed and washboard dirt roads where the soft front end soaks up the bumps like a champ.
it may not be 100% perfection for on road handling or off-road Bottoming resistance but its a good compromise between the two.

1. If you like the compromise then great buy an AT,
2. If you don't like the compromise but want an AT buy an AT and spend some coin setting it up the way you like it.
3. If you like the AT but the compromise is too much to for you handle don't buy an AT and find something that suits your Purpose.
4. If you hate the AT hate the compromise and generally aren't interested in buying or riding one then Get off the forum and find something worthwhile to do. ;)

As for me I love my AT and its suspension for now. Later on I may spend some money on heavier single rate springs and a revalve to quench my offroad cravings.
but just for now ill ride it compromises and all and love every Mile.

Cheers for reading, rant over.

Regards and Happy Riding,
Nusk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi!

As long you and we don't know exactly how the fork on your test AT was adjusted nearly everything is pure speculation.

In general the fork of the AT could be fully adjusted over a wide range and with some testing you should be able to find the right settings easily.

If you would still be not satisfied there would be several after market springs (for a reasonable price) to bring the fork to a much higher standard too.

But, as mentioned earlier you are in general unhappy with a long (off road oriented) suspension you should think about a different bike.

Have always a safe riding,

Gerhard

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also. I run the fork in my AT at full preload minus one turn. Full hard compression and +4 clicks of rebound. Rear end I'm not sure of the settings I just played with it during a ride to find a balance with the front end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for all the insight, much appreciated.. I have decided to go ahead and buy it, after all there is adjustment and if that is not good enough I will consider some after market spring. Above all I believe that I must get used to it and accept that there is nothing wrong with it and enjoy the ride.

Mike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Right choice

Good strategy MikeCK :smile2:!

Go ahead, stay relaxed, invest some time to find out the right settings for you and feel free to ask at everytime.

Cheers, gerhard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brilliant replies. Thanks guys.. Yeah if you want to ride enduro/trials/mx/trails/dual sports/ etc etc only.. Then buy a machine for the job. Everything else will be a compromise in some shape or form..

Its why I have many many bikes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brilliant replies. Thanks guys.. Yeah if you want to ride enduro/trials/mx/trails/dual sports/ etc etc only.. Then buy a machine for the job. Everything else will be a compromise in some shape or form..

Its why I have many many bikes
For sure, need one for each aspect of the sport. Although I don't have a need for the Chopper style, they don't handle & you need to much room to turn them around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts