Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a new truck. Yesterday I measured from the front of the front AT tire to the contact patch on the rear and got 78". This will BARELY fit on the tailgate of a short bed truck, and I feel like it could actually come up short depending on the depth of the bed (which determines the added length of the loading surface when the tailgate is down). Obviously the tailgate will have to be down, and that's fine, but I'm wondering if anyone transports their AT with a five foot bed. I've loaded dirt, sport, and ADV bikes into my previous trucks a zillion times; I've just never owned a short bed truck.

1) Does the rear tire make it all the way up, or is it just shy and wants to roll off?
2) Do you have to put the AT in diagonally or at a bit of an angle?
3) Is there some plate or something that can be easily added to the tailgate to support the length?

Please share your experiences. Thanks!

(photo for comedic relief!)

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 6'8" bed, and use an 8-8-16 cinder block at the front to keep the tire from hitting the folding tonau cover. My rear tire sits well into the bed, not on the tailgate, but it will not quite close, even with the rear tire shifted to the side after tying down the bike. I would think that a 5' bed might be OK if after you tied it down at the front you shifted the rear tire to the side should not bend the middle of the tailgate. You could certainly add a piece of angle to the inside edge of the tailgate to reinforce it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts