Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I think I have a simple problem but can't figure it out.

My AT starts right up and runs great but will die suddenly after a few minutes and won't start again for an hour or so.

I cleared all breather tubes, checked air filters, and gas tank cap is open.

Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
Yes it's original
Any thoughts regarding the health of your battery?

Last year I had a lead acid battery on a Honda 1100 fail in the heat of peak summer. The instruments would come alive, even the starter would turn, but no ignition. It just "died". A bump start was the only way and had to keep the engine revs elevated to help charge the battery until I replaced it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had put some thought into the battery seeing as it's 3+ years old and sat for a while before I purchased the bike. I'll be putting it on my charger tonight to see if there's any variance. I know a lot of bikes need the battery to function. Btw trying to bump start an Africa twin without a large downhill is super hard

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
I had put some thought into the battery seeing as it's 3+ years old and sat for a while before I purchased the bike. I'll be putting it on my charger tonight to see if there's any variance. I know a lot of bikes need the battery to function. Btw trying to bump start an Africa twin without a large downhill is super hard
RE bump start: Try the gearbox in maybe third gear (or higher) and try again. Don't "dump" the clutch, but apply as your listen to the engine (ignition switched on, of course) come alive. Certainly a twin by yourself can be hard, but gaining some speed on a slight decline "should" work.

A pushing assistant is optimal. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've bump started on a hill but a large downhill in dirt even.

Anyway I hate taking my bike to a repair shop so I'll try the battery tonight. Hope It clears the issue

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
I've bump started on a hill but a large downhill in dirt even.

Anyway I hate taking my bike to a repair shop so I'll try the battery tonight. Hope It clears the issue
As @bdalameda suggested, do you hear the fuel pump prime upon powering up the ignition? That cycle should last maybe two to three seconds after you switch on the ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
Yes I do here the pump come on and prime
That is encouraging.

So, when you attempt to start the ignition, what actions do you observe?

Examples:
  • Instruments light up.
  • Starter motor turns.
  • You hear "clicking" but no starter motor.
... etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Key on
All lights and instrument cluster seem normal
Fuel pump primes for 1-2 seconds
Bike starts no problem

Bike will die 5-10 minutes later as if I hit the kill switch. There is no warning or difference in running until it dies.
Attempt to start, turning, turning, turning starter. Doesn't want to start at all

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
Key on
All lights and instrument cluster seem normal
Fuel pump primes for 1-2 seconds
Bike starts no problem

Bike will die 5-10 minutes later as if I hit the kill switch. There is no warning or difference in running until it dies.
Attempt to start, turning, turning, turning starter. Doesn't want to start at all
Sorry, but do you mean to say also that while riding - that is - maintaining speed it can suddenly just die?

Side stand kill switch loose? Side stand cable harness buggered up?

I think some Forum members mentioned in the past the Kill Switch can get funky too. Consider reviewing those posts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it'll just die. Riding or on the kick stand. I'll have to check the kick stand wiring also.

Ok the kick stand running would seem weird to just die. Tested that out yesterday. Started the bike, was searching for something on the bench, had my back to the running bike, then died. Wouldn't start again. So weird..

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
Bad kill switch maybe? My wife had a bad kill switch on a BMW she owned and it would randomly just die. But nothing so clockwork like as yours with the 10 minutes. Hers was just completely random.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have seen relays do this when they have a bad coil. The relay will work at first and then the coil windings will short internally and the relay will open. If the fuel pump relay was going bad it could act just like this. After the relay coil cools down for a while it will begin working again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts