Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
The switch internals are totally open to the environment, dust and water can and do get into the contacts, if you pull apart the switch housing and unscrew the switch from the housing you can actually see the contacts. Its very easy to give the contacts a good clean out with something like CRC braklean while operating the switch and then give them a good spray with a dielectric spray (dont use grease it holds the dirt in there) like CRC226 works very well in this instance.
Wilco Skip - thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Would it be possible an assembly part is missing - like a membrane or similar? (exploded view of switch gear I suppose should reveal that).
No thats the way they are built, you are better off letting the water out as apposed to having a membrane that traps liquid in there. It takes all of 15 minutes per side and I do mine every 24k km or so just as part of regular mtce.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine yet but really surprising to hear that in this day and age, after years of making these things, that they need maintenance like this so soon. I have old bikes in my garage, one is 48 years old, and the switchgear is still working perfectly. Must be a difference in materials or something. I recently took the 48 year old one apart to clean it because I was going to paint them, everything inside was dirty and there was old grease in there but still working perfectly.

Agree with Skip, I don't believe these are supposed to be waterproof.

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
Maybe membranes in the past have been known to create and keep condensation and that would be a problem too.

But as @HerrDeacon expresses, I too have opened ancient switch gear only to find abandoned spider nests. Otherwise, the gear worked fine even after soaking in rain down pours all day and over the years.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine yet but really surprising to hear that in this day and age, after years of making these things, that they need maintenance like this so soon. I have old bikes in my garage, one is 48 years old, and the switchgear is still working perfectly. Must be a difference in materials or something. I recently took the 48 year old one apart to clean it because I was going to paint them, everything inside was dirty and there was old grease in there but still working perfectly.

Agree with Skip, I don't believe these are supposed to be waterproof.
I think a lot of the switches now are a coated base metal (original might just have been copper contacts certainly on the 48 year old) so they might be more likely to build up some resistivity with dirt and water in there. The current draw is likely a lot less as well so the actual contact area in the switch could be quite small (because they are using relays to do the heavy switching). When I blast the Braklean in there all sorts of crap comes out but the whole bike is like that, this is an air filter with 6k km on it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
I think a lot of the switches now are a coated base metal (original might just have been copper contacts certainly on the 48 year old) so they might be more likely to build up some resistivity with dirt and water in there. The current draw is likely a lot less as well so the actual contact area in the switch could be quite small (because they are using relays to do the heavy switching). When I blast the Braklean in there all sorts of crap comes out but the whole bike is like that, this is an air filter with 6k km on it.
Interesting photo @SkipD.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ride a 2017 AT manual that I bought new May of 2019. While I haven't had the problem being discussed here I read these things with interest just in case!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Still nothing... The repair guy is always busy. I'm going to his house at the beginning of next month

41 - 49 of 49 Posts