Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
UPDATE II:

I installed the Hyperpro front suspension springs yesterday and I just did the rear shock and immediately took it out for a spin...

WOW!!! What a difference! The bike feels tight and buffed up! While riding I still notice that every road surface imperfections are transferred to the handlebars which I really hoped for to disappear, but it doesn't bring me out of balance any more amidst corners. I did a couple of full turns on a small roundabout for the fun and man, the AT feels secure, and I finally feel confident to push the bike further downwards instead of correcting my line after every surface irregularity I hit. I even (unwillingly) did my first full jump with the bike over a small but very steep bridge without bottoming out. YES!!

I have used the preload/compression/rebound settings provided by Hyperpro's manual but I will take the bike to their workshop anyway since it's a free service. They might be able to fine-tune it beyond my knowledge. But for now, no more saggy, sh*tty cornering, front wheel wobbling rides for me!

Front suspension video tutorial:
https://youtu.be/b7zOR9EEBAE

Rear shock:
https://youtu.be/kt9md07tgg4

(PS: check out my sick DIY fork seal driver) IMG_20191012_174334_1570979975585.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Ronbosgra, great post. For an uninitiated technically and mechanically challenged 94Kg rider of 2018AT/DCT what would be the recommended settings. I have 9 kgs of crash guards and an additional 6kgs of the boxes. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hey Ronbosgra, great post. For an uninitiated technically and mechanically challenged 94Kg rider of 2018AT/DCT what would be the recommended settings. I have 9 kgs of crash guards and an additional 6kgs of the boxes. Thanks.
[Before you tinker away on your AT: If you are bothered with saggy/sloppy springs, get the HYPERPRO UPGRADE. They are the best price/quality upgrade I ever bought! It makes the bike handle firm and confident in corners, while braking and the general feel is much better. If you can't or don't want to, try out my settings]

Hey there, I can't see or measure your sag level, but you should give my settings a try, which I wrote down in my first opening message. Write down your current settings first. You're about 15kg lighter than me, so you probably have to turn your rear preload a click or two anticlockwise (2 clicks = 2mm/20kg less preload If I remember the manual correctly). Your front most likely about half a turn anticlockwise. This is all depending on your sag. Lubricate the sh*t out of your rear preload thread with wd40 to make it turn easily. Make sure you try to spray inside the thread housing, thats where it's usually stuck/rusty.

I haven't visited Hyperpro like I said before. I have been out of the running due to pneumonia for 1½ week now and a garage door build project which is now all grinded to a halt. I'm going to take a week off from work in November, so I'll be visiting Hyperpro then and hopefully can post more tips about our AT suspension settings (I'll be interrogating those mechanics up until the point I'll be asked to get the heck out of their workshop.)

***I would like to add to this thread that while I was replacing my springs, I forgot to lubricate my fork seals. I read that stiction is usually caused by dry fork seals which prevents the fork to properly slide up and down and can cause a bouncing effect during slower speeds. I sold a pair of auxiliary lights to a guy who just got back from Marocco on his rally red AT and he was unfamiliar with this bouncing effect, so my guess is indeed the dry fork seals (and not some AT factory build problem). If this is not the case, I'll blame my weight 'cause he was around 75kg heavy where I am 110kg light /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif***

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi
You suggest - REAR preload: Maxed out, turned anti-clockwise untill you hear the first click. Isn't spring preload increased by turning the knob clockwise to the max (around 35 clicks) rather than anti-clockwise? I'm about 215 pounds and even with spring preload maxed out (clockwise) sag is still at about 40%. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before you tinker away on your AT: If you are bothered with saggy/sloppy springs, get the HYPERPRO UPGRADE. They are the best price/quality upgrade I ever bought! It makes the bike handle firm and confident in corners, while braking and the general feel is much better. If you can't or don't want to, try out my settings
Ron, to be clear, exactly what is the upgrade? Part nos, if possible? I very much appreciate this thread.

Thanks,
pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wonder how after-market upgrades will interact w/ electronically-tuneable new SHOWA suspension in the 2020 adventure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Back it off one click

Hi
You suggest - REAR preload: Maxed out, turned anti-clockwise untill you hear the first click. Isn't spring preload increased by turning the knob clockwise to the max (around 35 clicks) rather than anti-clockwise? I'm about 215 pounds and even with spring preload maxed out (clockwise) sag is still at about 40%. Thanks!
The OP is suggesting backing the pre-load off one click anti-clockwise, from the Max setting. Kind of like leaving out the last round, so your magazine spring is not fully compressed!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The OP is suggesting backing the pre-load off one click anti-clockwise, from the Max setting. Kind of like leaving out the last round, so your magazine spring is not fully compressed!
I like the analogy used there :)
I do the same

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks ronbosgra for your post. I think your settings are fantastic, specifically for the road. Can you suggest any changes for offroad? I assume the settings should be a bit softer. I rode today for three hours on and off road with your settings and it was a drastic improvement over the stock settings. Has anyone written a novice guide to suspension settings? And if not, I think it would be great if you started one. For example, I had to estimate "clicks" on some adjusters that don't really click.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts