Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what makes the cca. 25 kg weight difference between the AT (manual) and the Tenere 700.
The engine is likely to be on e of the causes but not more than 3-5 kg I guess. What can be the rest?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would guess that overall the AT is probably built a little heavier regarding the frame and other components etc., being that it has a larger engine and is physically larger and designed for long distance riding and carrying heavier loads.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thought I would be tempted by the t7, but when I saw that it really wasn't significantly lighter, still a big girl, the allure disapated. I still do want the long haul loaded abilities of a bike in this segment and where I'm at now, the AT is still "it" for me. Curious where the market will be when I'm really ready to replace it in a couple/few years....planning on 100k, unreliability, or my physical ability. I'm not getting any younger.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Thought I would be tempted by the t7, but when I saw that it really wasn't significantly lighter, still a big girl, the allure disapated. I still do want the long haul loaded abilities of a bike in this segment and where I'm at now, the AT is still "it" for me. Curious where the market will be when I'm really ready to replace it in a couple/few years....planning on 100k, unreliability, or my physical ability. I'm not getting any younger.
lol - Anyone who is getting younger, please share details with Forum members. 🚽

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
592 Posts
I would guess that overall the AT is probably built a little heavier regarding the frame and other components etc., being that it has a larger engine and is physically larger and designed for long distance riding and carrying heavier loads.
I'd agree DB. Any additional pound (kilo) added to a bike during its design costs more than one pound (kilo) when the total weight is added up. The frame has to get heavier to carry the additional loads. The engine has to get slightly bigger to provide the desired performance, the drive system has to get marginally bigger to handle the work required. The list goes on. So add a pound (kilo) and watch the whole system grow by several pounds.

For certain types of aircraft, this number can approach 10:1. This is why keeping aircraft weight down is such a driving concern during conceptual design. For motorcycles the number is probably more like 2-3 lbs/lb (2:1 to 3:1).

The typical design cycle starts with desired performance--what will the customer pay for? Then works to provide that performance while keeping cost, weight & complexity (cost again) as low as you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts