Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not that I needed another YouTube channel to watch, but this is just a great reminder of motorcycle touring adventure. Thanks.
Ha yeah this guy is a legend tho. Was never a fan of the Star Wars guy’s show, but C90 adventures annihilates it. It’s stupid genius: it’s one of the most sold bikes in the world so parts are everywhere and everyone is too busy laughing at you to not notice you crossed into Venezuela on accident. Seriously tho it’s pretty amazing to see him take the ‘Trampolina de Muerte’ in Colombia on a freakin Honda cub compared to how the Klim dudes did it on their KTMs. Sorry for hijacking thread!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ha yeah this guy is a legend tho. Was never a fan of the Star Wars guy’s show, but C90 adventures annihilates it. It’s stupid genius: it’s one of the most sold bikes in the world so parts are everywhere and everyone is too busy laughing at you to not notice you crossed into Venezuela on accident. Seriously tho it’s pretty amazing to see him take the ‘Trampolina de Muerte’ in Colombia on a freakin Honda cub compared to how the Klim dudes did it on their KTMs. Sorry for hijacking thread!
Look up 7Days1Shower in Instagram. Young Australian guy who rode from Vladivostok to southern India on a Jixxer with knobbly tires in 2019. Through Mongolia, Iran, Pakistan. Absolutely nuts.

And yes, turn off both WC and TC off road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That water crossing was so painful to watch I had to stop. Could any of those guys ride? They would die in Brazil.

AndreL, I see no reason an ATAS would be a limiting factor in the vids you posted, tho' I might be a bit more conscientious about my approach to tighter/slower obstacles vs a standard that I would ride like any other well-behaved "big" dirtbike. You know, ride it like you stole it. :)
As for your vids, that kind of riding is the whole point of having an adventure bike, as far as I'm concerned.
🍺🍺

·
Registered
649 Posts
That water crossing was so painful to watch I had to stop. Could any of those guys ride? They would die in Brazil.

AndreL, I see no reason an ATAS would be a limiting factor in the vids you posted, tho' I might be a bit more conscientious about my approach to tighter/slower obstacles vs a standard that I would ride like any other well-behaved "big" dirtbike. You know, ride it like you stole it. :)
As for your vids, that kind of riding is the whole point of having an adventure bike, as far as I'm concerned.
🍺🍺
I was going to comment on the riders skills in both videos, but figured I'd leave the poor guys alone, they are out their giving it a go at least. Unfortunately both those roads are within about an hour of 4 million people, so there is no barrier to entry. I've seen folks in hardbacks trying to drive roads like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look up 7Days1Shower in Instagram. Young Australian guy who rode from Vladivostok to southern India on a Jixxer with knobbly tires in 2019. Through Mongolia, Iran, Pakistan. Absolutely nuts.

And yes, turn off both WC and TC off road.
God's teeth this dude on the GSXR, I want to see young Obi Wan Kenobi do that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitivamente te puedo en mi experiencia que la CRF1000 Standard es lo mejor, es mi opinion

Saludos desde México

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin DCT
22 Posts
[Hi there,

(If you don’t want to read all the story, here the shortcut for the question: how much better is the std 1100 comparing to the atas 1100 on hard off road? Any real world experience with the atas1100 on this condition?)

During four years I have been riding a crf1000 18 which I just sold. Love the bike but I’m anger to try this new generation. During 4 years I have ridden it mainly off road with a good bunch of enduro-like trails, kind of place where only smaller bikes generally goes. Except for some superficial scars bike has always behaved quite well, with 0 faults. My usage: 40% asphalt, 40% unpaved roads in different conditions and 20% trails with lot of rocks, roots, deep sand etc. Tarmac is just an unavoidable way to get to where I want: dirt roads and single tracks. But I’m in Brazil therefore that means relatively big distances of asphalt to get where really matters. And because of this I have always desired more comfort and a bigger tank for the on road part of the trips. Also the electronic suspension has some appeal.

Which leads to my question: is the atas 2021 manual a good choice for me?I know the standard version is lighter and more nimble. But my question is relative to the atas 1100. Will it handle (real) off road well? Will the rims be as resistant as the non-tubeless one? Is there someone that use the atas 1100 for (real) off road and share their experience? Most of the picture that I see is from people using the atas for touring... thanks a lot!
I have a DCT. I recommend a Manual. DCT is nice on the road, but hate it Offroad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Owner of a '20 ATAS (ES DCT) and mostly ride 1 1/2 - 3 hours pavement to mountain forest / fire service roads with some occasional single track. I've never ridden the base model to compare, but based on my experience and riding ability the AS is way too heavy and unwieldy for hard off road. Depending on terrain it be a herculean effort just to pick the bike up or push it out of a fairly routine trouble spot by yourself and I'm a big guy.

Growing up on motocross bikes I wanted something more dirt nimble yet street legal so recently purchased Husqvarna 701 Enduro (amazing). Keeping the ATAS as long range adventure / light dirt bike and using 701 as enduro that can easily do 2-3+ hours pavement to trails. Weight was biggest factor for me ... 701 is 35% lighter than ATAS (wet) but feels more like 50-60% and I can still run 150+ miles on a tank.

Still love my ATAS, and if I had to do over again and only have one bike for my type of riding I'd get the base model AT - no ES or DCT.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts