Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad you are satisfied with your choice. I love my giant tanked AS. My friend and I just completed a three week, 8000+ km trip to the arctic circle and back. About 2500 km of gravel, dirt and mud. His '18 STD went down three times, my '20 AS, zero. Our, stature, fitness level and riding skill are all comparable. Just goes to show that the AS is manageable and fun, provided you know what you are doing and are willing to accept some grunting and cursing now and then.
What does "AS" stand for?

·
Registered
31 Posts
And here I thought I wanted a standard AT...

Those vids illustrate exactly the type of terrain I would expect these bikes to handle with ease and also the type of terrain I would expect to find myself.
Andre, the shot of both your bike and the Husky shows how much bigger the ATAS is, but your riding makes a compelling case for the ATAS. Well done!

Back to square 1, standard or AS?
Wheel issues not withstanding, the balance has shifted towards AS. Andre has demonstrated that, for these intents and purposes, the size and weight is not a limiting factor. As to my disdain for technological sophistication, it's time I join the 21st century. ;)

Of course, now I have to go back and read all the ATAS threads. :ROFLMAO:
What does "ATAS" stand for?
ATAS= Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Does "ATAS" mean the same thing as "AT"?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great thread and thanks for all the opinions. Coming from a GS I bought my '19 ATAS after riding a mates std AT - just liked the looks of it and the bigger tank a huge plus for me (and I nearly always have a pillion). I've never struggled offroad but I try to avoid the extreme technical - rather take out the 500EXC. The ATAS is extremely capable - just not convinced that I need to 'upgrade' to the 1100......

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin 1000
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Great thread and thanks for all the opinions. Coming from a GS I bought my '19 ATAS after riding a mates std AT - just liked the looks of it and the bigger tank a huge plus for me (and I nearly always have a pillion). I've never struggled offroad but I try to avoid the extreme technical - rather take out the 500EXC. The ATAS is extremely capable - just not convinced that I need to 'upgrade' to the 1100......
in my opinion both are great bikes. 1100 is definitely a better bike though. Only thing that I really don’t like is not having a “turn off all the electronics” button. But this is something we learn to live with. It’s Better on road and off road. Is it a dramatic upgrade? no, it’s not. Worth the extra 10k you’d spend to upgrade? Probably not. But motorcycles are not about ring rationality in my opinion, is about making you smile inside of the helmet. And for that the 1100 is better.
almost a year after the change I don’t regret at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Owner of a 19 ATAS. It's a big heavy bike. If I had to do it over I would get the standard. DCT is good and bad offroad. It's not perfect but it's a personal choice, I would not go with it, but would prefer a quickshifter. If gas is going to a problem on that once a year backcountry trip just get a fuel bladder, most of my buddies and i have them here in Colorado, especially when we ride 450's and 500's in the backcountry. And do a bit more planning, it's worth it have less weight and a more nimble bike. Why wrestle that big heavy gas tank when you don't have to, and having to do it all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2019 ATAS and I can feel the big tank off-road some. My solution is to not fill it all the way if I don't need to (for off-road use). I also try to resist bolting on a bunch of stuff I don't really need. I try to practice some low speed maneuvers on easy terrain before I push limits off road. Those things help me some.
But this bike matches the majority of my riding pretty well. And if the terrain isn't any fun on my bike I seek different terrain that is.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hello all, since my last post here, my ATAS ES 2021 has arrived and i have the chance to test it on real off-road environment on a recent trip i´ve made with friends. This trip was full of single tracks, rough terrain, rivers crossings etc. Mainly rocky/sandy terrain. Technical uphill’s and downhill with loosen rock too. There were 2 AT 1100 std in the group so it was the perfect condition to finally answer my question: which one is better for off road usage. I have the chance to ride both bikes. and here goes my impressions:

(DISCLAIMER: Comparison between ATAS 1100 2021 non-dct ES vs AT 1100 2021 non-dct non-ES)

- STD 1100 does feels lighter, nimbler and easier to ride on technical terrain when comparing to the ATAS 1100. It provides you with a much more "enduro feel" than the ATAS. It´s not only about the weight, it´s about where the weight is located, more on the top due its higher tank and consequently dislocating its gravity center more towards the top and making it feel heavier on certain conditions.

- atas is much better on the road (as expected). bigger windscreen, heated grips, bigger tank, etc. seats on both bikes are too hard from my point of view. Harder than the 1000 std by the way but strangely comfier.

- ES: I am completely astonished on how good this suspension is for off road. Since ES is not offered not even as optional for the std in Brazil, the single fact that the atas has this ES justify my choice of not picking the STD. if the ES would be offered for the std then I would change my mind. But it´s not.

It´s simply amazing to be able to ride the bike on harsh conditions and 1 hour later to ride on a twisty road with the same level of confidence (limited by the fact that I was using a 50/50 tire of course).

I´ve never felt that I would be having more fun riding the std. Both bikes are fun to ride with much more suspension, engine and brakes etc than I am able to use. At the end I guess the atas es offers a better package for the kind of usage I do. If the trails I do would be close to my house, then, yes, the std would be the way to go. But since I have to ride 500-1000km, sometimes, to get where I want to ride, then yes, the atas is a better choice for me. Specially for the ES, what an amazing piece of gear.

some videos and pictures from my last trip:

Climbing a rocky mountain: New video by Andre L.

crossing a small river: New video by Andre L.

Downhill: New video by Andre L.

uphill: New video by Andre L.

crossing a nasty river: iCloud

View attachment 65261
View attachment 65262
View attachment 65263
View attachment 65264
View attachment 65265
Thanks for posting. I regretted selling my 2021 Standard AT for the 2022 ATAS with ES
Due to the exact reasons you listed.
However, watching your videos that show where and how you ride the ATAS-
I am reminded that it's the rider not the bike 90% of the time :)
I am keeping the ATAS !!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts