Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The coolant light popped up on the bike today. It came on and stayed on since the beginning of the ride. I checked coolant levels immediately and everything is fine there (the bike has 6,000 KMs on it) and also kept an eye on the temperature gauge too which stayed on 3 white bars. Checking around the coolant bottle, it does seem some of the wires have become exposed and wondering if it's water causing a glitch. This happened once before after being washed and then went off after 10 minutes or so of riding.

Any thoughts on what this might be or whether it's happened to anyone else? Should I go ahead and change out the coolant to be safe?

Love some thoughts on this as I'm based in Uganda with no dealer to pop round too.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi all,

The coolant light popped up on the bike today. It came on and stayed on since the beginning of the ride. I checked coolant levels immediately and everything is fine there (the bike has 6,000 KMs on it) and also kept an eye on the temperature gauge too which stayed on 3 white bars. Checking around the coolant bottle, it does seem some of the wires have become exposed and wondering if it's water causing a glitch. This happened once before after being washed and then went off after 10 minutes or so of riding.

Any thoughts on what this might be or whether it's happened to anyone else? Should I go ahead and change out the coolant to be safe?

Love some thoughts on this as I'm based in Uganda with no dealer to pop round too.

Cheers

Chris
Not your problem, get Honda to sort it.Its a new bike......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just reading the manual and it indicates the high coolant temp light should only come on once the bar graph reaches the 6th segment and starts flashing. You're saying the coolant temp light is on but the bar graph is reading normally?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I read the service manual a bit but didn't find a lot of useful info. FWIW it appears the "ECT" engine coolant temp sensor sends an analog signal to the PCM which in turn communicates digitally with the multifunction gauge. ie: there is no specific coolant temperature switch that operates the high coolant temp light. So if 1) your bar graph temp seems to be working correctly and 2) there are no physical symptoms of overheating then it seems this is a glitch within the PCM/multifunction gauge or in the communication line in between. If it were mine I would let it dry thoroughly and check all connectors especially between PCM and gauge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers RallyX. Yes, the high coolant temp light is coming on at start up, staying on, but the bar graph is reading normally.

Definitely agree the manual isn't that helpful. In the end, we removed the fairing and double checked the coolant level in the radiator which was normal and looking healthy. The light has since disappeared of course so like yourself and deltabi, I think it was a glitch, possibly from water. When time allows I'll take a closer sensor covers, lines etc..

Other than that, the bike is epic as ever. The perfect bit of kit for out here.

If I find anything more to explain it, I'll be sure to share.

·
Registered
325 Posts
may will come handy...

Attachments

Reactions: Sled and RallyX
1 - 7 of 7 Posts