Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for opening a new thread on that, but there are so many threads on Crashbars and I could not find the info I need.

I had the Altrider system in my mind but today I found out that it is not compatible with the skid. I want to keep the OEM skid, though. I do not do dirt, so it is ok for me and I like the looks.

However, the OEM "accessories" bar is a joke as far as it concerns effectiveness and rigidity. So, I need a reliable crashbar system.

Does anybody know of a crashbar system that is compatible with the ATAS OEM skidplate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The OEM skidplate actually mounts to brackets on the OEM upper bars, I doubt anyone will make bars with those brackets. I've got a BDCW skidplate and the brackets just go unused on the OEM upper bars. Trying to piece together protection for the ATAS is definitely difficult if you don't just go all on on one manufacturer like AltRider or Outback Motortek.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Petros, If you don't intend to take the bike off-road, what are you looking to protect against most? Highway or around town spills or slides? Simple fall-overs or tip-overs?
It it's slides at typical street speeds, the best protection, to my mind, is a set of good old-fashioned (wide) highway bars, or a set of "sliders," but you'll probably need to have them custom manufactured.
If it's just tip-overs or slow speed fall-overs, a good set of engine bars will work just fine in conjunction with the OEM bars. You're not the first person to say the OEM bars suck. But I don't get it. They seem just fine to me for practical use. Yes, they've got some "give" because of the thick rubber grommets used at some joints--but I think the idea there is to allow the bar to move some rather than risk frame damage (Honda's thinking). And yes, the attachment points could be a bit more robust, but they aren't terrible either.
Working alongside a good set of engine bars, I think they will perform fine in light to moderate slides in the dirt or fall-overs. The engine bars will make contact first and take the brunt of the impact. Could the OEM bars bend enough to crack the fairing--sure, in the right scenario--a hard slide, say, at the right angle. But not likely in a fall-over at slow speed. Esp. if you have good handle bar protection too and a set of rugged panniers in the back to further keep the bike up off the ground.
But if you think the OEM bars suck that bad for your purposes, you'll probably just have to bite the bullet and get a full set of bars and skid-plate from Outback Motortek or AltRider.
I'd be curious to know, however, what you hope to protect most against.
Nonetheless, Ps... I spoke to Lorry at Outback Motortek a few weeks ago and he told me his lowers *do* work with the OEM skid-plate, it's just that the skid-plate will have to be bent just a bit, and it's fairly unnoticeable.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Garyth

Yes, my expectation is that minor falls, static tip overs and mild slides (ie. in wet terrain) should be effectivelly handled by the crashbars with no damage at all on the plastics.

It is my feeling, supported by Honda's desciption of the OEM bar as "accessories" bar, that this component will not withstand even this. I had removed the OEM bar when I removed the panels to access the front accessories port and I was really surprised how light the thing is, and by the fact that it is fixed on elastic parts. If yoy simply push it, it moves easily towards the plastics; can this thing support the weight of the bike if tipped over without collapsing against the fairings? I really do not feel that it will.

In my previous bikes (Varaderos), I used the GIVI crashbars. You could effectively pull the bike sideways from those (if you were strong enough to do so on a 275kg bike). If you try to do this with the ATAS OEM bar, most probably you will tear it out of its supports.

Regarding the Altrider or other skid plates: they may be rigid, no doubt about it. But for my taste they are ugly and way too expensive. So, I am very reluctand on spending so much money of something that I do not need and also negatively affects my bike's aesthetics.

Funny thing what you said about the Motorek. Just 2 days back I was ready to procceed with the purchase through internet when I noticed that they state that the system is incompatible with the ATAS OEM Skid plate!!!! So, I turned to Altrider which is my second preference (just from aesthetical point of view. I asked them for compatibility and they said, no, not compatible....

Eventually, not sure what I will do. Maybe I will be waiting for Givi; I guess they will launch some upper crash bars for the ATAS as well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Petros--call Outback Motortek, talk to Lorry. He told me their lowers will fit but the skid-plate has to be bent in one spot just a bit. He said it's been done on an ATAS. Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Petros--call Outback Motortek, talk to Lorry. He told me their lowers will fit but the skid-plate has to be bent in one spot just a bit. He said it's been done on an ATAS. Good luck!
Confirmed Gary!!

attached photo just provided by Outback Motortek.

Thanks again! They will be my choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

does the OM lower crash bars work with OEM skid plate and DCT gearbox? Is it possible to keep OEM light bars/crash bars as well?

Thanks for response in advance!

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anybody know of a crashbar system that is compatible with the ATAS OEM skidplate?
Why would you want to keep the OEM skidplate? It is not very good and exposes a lot of your headers. Since you are planning on getting aftermarket crash bars this implies that you plan on doing some offloading, don't cut corners here. Do yourself a favor and get the skid-plate which matches the crashbar brand you choose. They will be designed to work together.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why would you want to keep the OEM skidplate? It is not very good and exposes a lot of your headers. Since you are planning on getting aftermarket crash bars this implies that you plan on doing some offloading, don't cut corners here. Do yourself a favor and get the skid-plate which matches the crashbar brand you choose. They will be designed to work together.

Just my 2 cents.

true, the OEM skid plate super sucks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just my 2 cents.
true, the OEM skid plate super sucks.
Hi guys

this is an old post; since then I installed the magnificent Outback Motorteck's full crash bar system which is compatible with the OEM skid plate.

Nevertheless, to answer the questions, I do not intent to do heavy off-roading. I want the bar system to protect the bike from tip overs mainly. The Honda "light bar" offers very little protection in my view.

For the very, very limited gravel I rarely do, the OEM skid plate is absolutely up to the task. Thus, given the afformenioned, and the fact that I really like the OEM skid plate shape while I find all aftermarket solutions ugly, there was no reasson to spend the extra cash.

:smile2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys

this is an old post; since then I installed the magnificent Outback Motorteck's full crash bar system which is compatible with the OEM skid plate.

Nevertheless, to answer the questions, I do not intent to do heavy off-roading. I want the bar system to protect the bike from tip overs mainly. The Honda "light bar" offers very little protection in my view.

For the very, very limited gravel I rarely do, the OEM skid plate is absolutely up to the task. Thus, given the afformenioned, and the fact that I really like the OEM skid plate shape while I find all aftermarket solutions ugly, there was no reasson to spend the extra cash.

:smile2:

Hi Petros,

thanks for your input! Do you have manual or DCT gearbox?

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confirmed Gary!!

attached photo just provided by Outback Motortek.

Thanks again! They will be my choice.
HI Petros
I have same problem, just put on crash and engine bars to my 2019 honda adv sport but don't know how to fit that skid plate. Can You post some more info about or more pictures 😊
Thank you
Piotr

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HI Petros
I have same problem, just put on crash and engine bars to my 2019 honda adv sport but don't know how to fit that skid plate. Can You post some more info about or more pictures 😊
Thank you
Piotr

Hi Piotr

is your bike the manual or DCT version?

if it is the manual (like mine) then the skid plate should fit easily and will need just a bit of deformation on the back left fixing point (as you sit on the bike).

If it is the DCT, then things are much tougher, as I ma told by a friend that has installed the OM on his DCT ATAS. It took him a lot of work (heating and reshaping the plate) to fit it. I am not really aware of the details.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts