Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

ATAS - DCT Loosing Gears Under Hard Acceleration

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CRracer712 
#1 ·
Hi all

Whilst out riding today my ATAS '19 developed a problem where under hard acceleration it lost its gears and thus power requiring me to pull over to the side of the road for the system to find itself again and reset to neutral. This happened numerous times the first time whilst overtaking a car! Putting me and the bike into a dangerous situation.

The bike was in D-mode and Tour. I also tried using the gears in manual and it did the same.

Has anyone else had something similar?

#2 ·
Hey Battlepig, welcome to the forum!

When you say it “lost its gear”, do you mean it briefly shifts into neutral, or up shifts too fast (so from 3rd to 5th for example, and skips 4th)? Does it happen consistently with a given gear (always skips 3rd For example) regardless if manual or automatic?

Ive never had an issue like this, so can’t offer much.

Bookem

#3 ·
No it just completely looses any gear whatsoever. No gear is displayed it pops a couple of warning lights up for engine, oil etc. but then the engine stays running, I pull over and it resets its self into Neutral and away we go.

It seems to happen when moving from 3rd.

#9 ·
Update:

AT is going to the dealers next week. Did attempt to solve the issue using a gear reset, it didn't work but thought I would share the sequence to reset the dct gearbox:

1- warm engine to operating temp then turn off bike.

2- Hold D Button and turn electrics on (don't start engine)

3- Press sequence D, D, N, D, N

4- Display should show both Sport/Drive options and a (-) allow the bike to find its neutral which takes a couple of mins.

5 - Turn off electrics

6 - Start bike as normal

Will update on the root cause when I find out.

#10 ·
Well that sux..
I’m guessing the gear position sensor has issues (4th gear from the sound of it). Basically the gear box sensor for that gear is not showing it in that gear so the ECU gets “lost” and you’ll get the “__” double dashes of death on the gear indicator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.