Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

ATAS DCT off road

11260 Views 29 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Lee R
Hi guys, just sharing my experience here.
I recently bought a 2018 ATAS DCT, I use the bike for commuting and also for recreation.
Motoz Tractionator GPS are my tyres of choice (50/50 tyres).
I have OEM engine crash bars and plate. OEM hand guards.

Last weekend I tried the bike off road for the fist time.
When going up a hill with loose gravel, the DCT didn't help me much even in Gravel mode or using the G button.
The auto transmission changed gears when we were climbing and it felt strange, it has power but I prefer to control the compression and momentum.
The traction control reduced the power delivery , making me loose momentum.
The bike never stopped, never stalled though, I just felt as if I wasn't in control and the power was going somewhere else.

After few attempts with different settings, I found that if you want to do some off road that includes lose gravel or you need traction or you are in technical territory, turn the DCT to manual (and change your gears properly ) and turn the Traction Control Off. After that, it was a very pleasant ride. Plenty of power and easy to control.

My only other issue (due the lack of clutch to disengage the engine) was emergency breaking. Muscle memory makes me grab the front brake, clutch and press the rear brake (in that order). I never notice this before but I seems to keep the RPM at a higher level when performing an emergency brake. It does not matter when the clutch is disengaged, but when there is no clutch, the rear wheel is pushing and the front brake is stopping, you can imaging how this ended. (n)

So now I need to train emergency braking with no clutch until it's a reflect.
Other than that I love the bike.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant
See less See more
Reactions: 3
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
@manmag910 , nice bike mate, how do you find the engine guards and protectors?
Have you tested them?
no, not tested. I don't know how much they protect the bike, I think that aftermarket are better.
no, not tested. I don't know how much they protect the bike, I think that aftermarket are better.
I have the same OEM on my 2018 , with the exception of the lower bar around the DCT.
I went off road last weekend and the bars were tested. I dropped the bike (non intentionally) about 3 times at low speed (between 5 - 20 km/h). They protected the fairing from being broken , but the bars flexed and touch the fairing , leaving a small scratch on them. Definitely better than not having them, but I am unsure about a hard drop or falling on the road.
Hopefully, I will never test those options ;)
I bought my 2018 ATAS DCT new and I can verify as others have stated. When off road turn off T/C (0 - hold in button for several seconds), turn off ABS, press G button and use manual mode for shifting. In loose rock and such, I will put it gravel mode as well as using the above settings. Most of my issues caused when riding up hill on rough terrain was having the T/C on. This makes the computer kick in and cut power to the ride by wire throttle. I have had this happen even on pavement when hitting a pothole or whatnot in the road when you're giving it the gas. If I want some T/C when on pavement, I'll usually set it at three (3) and no issue and higher six (6) if the weather is nasty. I also have the OEM Light Bars and have been using the 50/50 Motoz Tractionator GPS. Lastly, you might need to adjust your engine braking settings to help compensate for the lack of a clutch. There are so many combinations, you just need to play around with them to see what suits your riding style and terrain best. Definitely a bit of a learning curve going from clutch bikes to DCT, but I can say it's been growing on me the last few years; more positives than negatives.
See less See more
Reactions: 4
... interesting @manmag910. Also, no other humans nearby. (y)
Reactions: 1
As most do, I ride my ATAS with Gravel On, TC Off and manual mode.
I share some of my weekend rides on my YouTube channel MadeiraOnWheels.

Feel free to like and subscribe.
well, that is what happened to me, not a very steep hill, but with enough loose gravel to have the same effect.
well, that is what happened to me, not a very steep hill, but with enough loose gravel to have the same effect.
Hey, welcome to the Forum @paperinashes.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.
I took mine on some ATV trails in Bankhead National Forest here in Alabama. I need to bring a camera next time. ATAS did really well other then some huge mud holes that I turned around for, Karoo Streets on the bike and I don’t feel like burying a 550lb bike alone in the forest in a mud hole.

For all the regular forest roads in the area it’s easy peasy on the ATAS.

This was my first time using DCT on any real terrain other than dirt roads. I like it. Hoped a small log no problem, dealt with lots of mud no problem, hill climbs, baseball sized gravel, rocks etc.

I used the off-road setting and turned off TC and WC which is easy at a stop, just click and hold the back arrow on each on the touchscreen and they go to 0. Some TC is actually not bad in some situations too but I’ll need to experiment a bit more. The 1100 is so overpowered for dirt you can kinda just tractor along through everything including hills at low RPM. Suspension is really good for such a huge motorcycle.

The bike is extremely capable and also extremely quick to punish you for mistakes with its heft. Not a good machine to learn on whatsoever, but if you learned on something else like I did it’s quite fun except for mud. A whale ship sized moto In mud does not fun make. It’s also very easy to just walk alongside the ATAS with DCT and get through some sections or turn it around if needed rather than drop it and deal with the pickup process. I had it sliding sideways a few times in the mud but kept it upright with good balance. It’s sort of like riding on ice which I’ve done with mountain bikes (ridden across lakes in the winter on ice) and smaller motorcycles. (I’m from Maine).

Overall I didn’t miss a clutch one bit. My 21 ATAS has very good slow speed throttle manors and it’s no problem working it through technical terrain. Actually I found it refreshing not dealing with gear shifts or the clutch.

Here’s some other pictrues riding over some of the mountains nearbye on the logging roads. A bit muddy but not too bad. Karoo Streets are great for regular dirt/gravel but the mud requires very careful balance and throttle.

Road surface Grass Tints and shades Bedrock Water

Plant community Natural landscape Twig Tree Wood

Plant Automotive tire Wood Tire Trunk

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire

Plant Automotive lighting Tree Automotive tire Motor vehicle
See less See more
Reactions: 1
21 - 30 of 30 Posts