Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently a few days into a 12 day trip and ran into some insane rain. Pulled off to wait and when i restarted the bike the ride mode was all blank and fuel said empty. Restarted twice. 2nd time it came back on tour mode as before, but suddenly the suspension icon AND the rider/passenger/luggage settings were gone. Multiple restarts later and still gone. Any ideas?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

Currently a few days into a 12 day trip and ran into some insane rain. Pulled off to wait and when i restarted the bike the ride mode was all blank and fuel said empty. Restarted twice. 2nd time it came back on tour mode as before, but suddenly the suspension icon AND the rider/passenger/luggage settings were gone. Multiple restarts later and still gone. Any ideas?
I should mention, the suspension system seems to be working, despite no display information. When i switch ride modes i can hear the rear suspension wind up and down. It seems as if it maintained the 2 up + luggage setting i had applied prior to the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Hey! I had the same problem yesterday, all I did different that day was washing the bike in the morning, and that happened mid afternoon. Did you solve your problem? Do you know what was wrong?
I’m going to the dealership tomorrow... I’m loving my ATAS, but this was a punch...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey! I had the same problem yesterday, all I did different that day was washing the bike in the morning, and that happened mid afternoon. Did you solve your problem? Do you know what was wrong?
I’m going to the dealership tomorrow... I’m loving my ATAS, but this was a punch...
I just got back from my trip yesterday. Dealership tomorrow as well. Rode 6000km with the issue and aside from no info display, it didn't cause any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got back from my trip yesterday. Dealership tomorrow as well. Rode 6000km with the issue and aside from no info display, it didn't cause any issues.
Hey! Any news? I was at the dealership today, all they did was update the software. Now the functions all appear, but the Power, Engine Breaking, Tracking Control, ABS and Suspension mode are blinking, I’ll have to leave the bike there...
Maybe next week I’ll leave it there...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! Any news? I was at the dealership today, all they did was update the software. Now the functions all appear, but the Power, Engine Breaking, Tracking Control, ABS and Suspension mode are blinking, I’ll have to leave the bike there...
Dropped it off yesterday, they haven't even looked at it yet. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoke to the shop, the tech can't figure it out and the workshop manual hasn't helped him. They are going to call the Honda tech line and try that. Hoping they get back to me today.

Any luck on your end?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just spoke to the shop, the tech can't figure it out and the workshop manual hasn't helped him. They are going to call the Honda tech line and try that. Hoping they get back to me today.

Any luck on your end?
Spoke to the shop, the tech has spent 7 hours and replaced every relay, chip, the screen, etc. Pretty much every electronic component except the wiring harness. The service advisor is calling Honda tomorrow for advice. He still won't even say if it is a warranty claim at this point, although he did at least say I won't be charged for the 7 hours of labour so far, lol.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any news on your bike?

Shop had mine for two weeks and couldn't figure it out. They are waiting for a connector to plug the suspension into the Honda diagnostic system. Picked it up for a week's ride, and will drop it off again when I'm back

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cool that it doesn't prevent you from riding, but all these electronics on the latest bikes make me nervous. I had a Triumph Scrambler 1200XE and a 90$ sensor failed within a month and it caused like 5 problems (traction control, gear indicator, cruise control, not able to start the bike with the kick stand out even in neutral cause it didnt know it what gear I was, etc...)..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool that it doesn't prevent you from riding, but all these electronics on the latest bikes make me nervous. I had a Triumph Scrambler 1200XE and a 90$ sensor failed within a month and it caused like 5 problems (traction control, gear indicator, cruise control, not able to start the bike with the kick stand out even in neutral cause it didnt know it what gear I was, etc...)..
I hear you on that. I'm coming off a decade and 100,000km on a KLR. Moving to this was a bit intimidating. If I had the choice I would have purchased the AS without the ES. That being said, I was able to swallow all the gadgetry after talking to a Honda nerd who explained that they are building the bike first then superimposing stuff on to it. Essentially the bike is always rideable even if some of the auxiliary stuff ceases to function. He said if it doesn't appear to be working, ride the bike as if it isn't and you'll be fine, or at least finish your ride.

That being said, not being able to fix the fault now that it has happened is frustrating. It also means I'm leaving on a six day mixed surface camping trip with no control over my preload and dampening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Hi! I had the same dashboard reset problem. Dashboard started in bronze mode with blinking fuellevel bar, then after few restarts it fixed but electronic suspension icon disapeared as well as preload settings buttons. All round icons are blinking all time And some of them disappeared
Also I noticed that I can’t control heating of grips (“fn” button pressing shows jus volume and headlights settings).

All fuses are ok. I called the dealer and they are waiting for me in two days for diagnostic.
does anyone found the solution. It looks like software bug and maybe we can reset electronics somehow?

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
Hi! I had the same dashboard reset problem. Dashboard started in bronze mode with blinking fuellevel bar, then after few restarts it fixed but electronic suspension icon disapeared as well as preload settings buttons. All round icons are blinking all time And some of them disappeared
Also I noticed that I can’t control heating of grips (“fn” button pressing shows jus volume and headlights settings).

All fuses are ok. I called the dealer and they are waiting for me in two days for diagnostic.
does anyone found the solution. It looks like software bug and maybe we can reset electronics somehow?
Welcome to the Forum @AntonLPF. You gotta send pics of your beast. Maybe consider sharing images of your instrument panel pains. Maybe the Forum Collective can come up with some ideas.

I agree with some other Forum folks and I too shy away from exotic graphical native instrument interfaces until after a few model years when the bugs and kinks are worked out. Sometimes it is not just a software upgrade. Sometimes the software upgrade depends on a hardware upgrade to work. How is the owner suppose to know what they are missing out on?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the Forum @AntonLPF. You gotta send pics of your beast. Maybe consider sharing images of your instrument panel pains. Maybe the Forum Collective can come up with some ideas.

I agree with some other Forum folks and I too shy away from exotic graphical native instrument interfaces until after a few model years when the bugs and kinks are worked out. Sometimes it is not just a software upgrade. Sometimes the software upgrade depends on a hardware upgrade to work. How is the owner suppose to know what they are missing out on?
Annoying part is that this system is essentially three years old, having been introduced on the 2017 Gold Wing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The non suspension icons on my bike are normal. Just the ES information and adjustment is missing. The ES options are also missing from the user profile setup page. The suspension functions though.

As far as I know the shop reset the software, totally replaced the screen and pretty much every other electronic component that should cause this problem, no luck. Once they get the connector in to hook the suspension directly to the diagnostic system we should know more. In the mean time I have a 3000KM, 6 day adventure to go on. Who needs to adjust stuff anyway, lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts