Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just found what seems to be a serious crack in my right hand fairing on my 4 month old Atas.
There is no other damage. The bike hasn't been over or bashed with anything that I'm aware of.
The crack runs halfway through the Africa twin decal and all the way to the inner side. It looks like an expensive repair.
Could vibration have caused this. ???

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Humm...I've seen vibrations cut a license plate in half...but these fairing are mounted mostly on rubber grommets. I'd definately go to the dealer to see what they have to say about it. I wonder why on adventure bikes they don't use plastics like on dirt bikes...those types of plastics can be scrapped and bashed all day long, as opposed to these plastics where if you drop it and dont have crash bars ill will break like it's made of glass.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I do no think that the ATAS has that much vibrations that would break the fairing; rather no vibrations at all, compared to the KTM bikes for example. This part is supported on a number of elastic grommets and does not vibrste at all, at least not in my bike.

Have you ever removed it for any reason? It looks like a stress during dismantling. There is a certain sequence on uncliping the fairing, starting from the bottom area.

..... you got me worried now, anyway.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do no think that the ATAS has that much vibrations that would break the fairing; rather no vibrations at all, compared to the KTM bikes for example. This part is supported on a number of elastic grommets and does not vibrste at all, at least not in my bike.

Have you ever removed it for any reason? It looks like a stress during dismantling. There is a certain sequence on uncliping the fairing, starting from the bottom area.

..... you got me worried now, anyway.....
I wonder if the installation of the accessory wind wings caused the problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you may have noticed I have both Honda accessories. The tinted wings on the upper fairing and the rubber deflectors on the the lower fairing.
I did have a thought about them creating more tubalance on the upper at least.

I have not removed any of the fairings so I don't think any of the fastners are over tightened or incorrectly fitted.
I really don't know how it could have happened. It must have happened in the last week as it wasn't there when I last cleaned the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very interesting....

This week I installed the same OEM wind fairings (the black rubber one and the plastic tinted ones), I hope this is not the cause of your crack.

I actually clicked on this thread because I wanted to report a crack of my own on the ATAS.

When I was tightening the cover for the storage panel that's on the right, rear side of the ATAS (and only the ATAS, the standard AT doesn't have this storage space or panel) I cracked the panel. I actually did not tighten it very hard at all, so I was surprised (and disappointed) that it happened. I superglued it and now there is the slight dark line where it cracked.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small update.

I took the bike to my local Honda dealership to show them the crack.
Both the sales man and the service department said it should be covered by the warranty.
They took photos and said they would be in touch when they hear back from Honda.
He also noticed another small crack below the original in front of the Honda badge.
So now I'm waiting for the decision from the warranty department.
Fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
My ATAS had exactly the same crack as the first post. I believe the crack is due to overtightened fasteners at the factory. You can see a screw on the OPs pic where the crack starts from. That is one of 4 similar screws that are in so tight at the tank top area. I know this as they had to be removed to fit the fork air dam. The split was there before any attempt was made to remove the screw . In fact the screw was so tight that the nut into which it screwed just turned with the screw and you could see the crack opening up as it turned.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My ATAS had exactly the same crack as the first post. I believe the crack is due to overtightened fasteners at the factory. You can see a screw on the OPs pic where the crack starts from. That is one of 4 similar screws that are in so tight at the tank top area. I know this as they had to be removed to fit the fork air dam. The split was there before any attempt was made to remove the screw . In fact the screw was so tight that the nut into which it screwed just turned with the screw and you could see the crack opening up as it turned.
Did the warranty covered this or you still have the cracked part?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most people over-tighten fairing panel fasteners not realising they don’t need to be so.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened(it was over tightened, if not then, possibly before). I just wanted to caution everyone that its possible to do. As a later poster mentions, the quality of the plastic is high and it is hard to break quality plastic.

I'm glad to hear your dealer will fix it under warranty. :)

I love love love, my ATAS.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
50 Posts
Perhaps you have a pic of your AT right after buying it that shows no crack(s) in the plastic.....this could bolster your case in unlikely event that Honda declines to replace.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New update.

I've just heard from my local Honda dealer.
CLAIM REJECTED. Not what I wanted to hear.
They said it wasn't their decision and maybe I should contact Honda directly.

Are there many other AT's out there with unexplained cracks in the fairing ?
I would like to tell them I'm not alone.

Or has anyone had dealings with Honda directly. Any tips on how I should go about it?

Thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
That’s unfortunate and from mine and others experience of having a claim rejected, Honda H/Q don’t readily change their minds.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That’s unfortunate and from mine and others experience of having a claim rejected, Honda H/Q don’t readily change their minds.
Not my experience Davy. After two pairs of OEM heated grips failed Honda wanted the bike for 3 weeks to 'check the wiring harness'. I said no and fitted aftermarket ones. Honda refused a refund, then offered £150 via the dealer but after I talked to them on the phone at headquarters they gave me a £250 voucher
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
You were sort of lucky then, Mike. Tho’ a £250 voucher doesn’t make up for a set of Honda grips @£360, but as long as you were happy..... They refused to refund or replace my oe grips and I waited over a year for them to come out with ‘the fix’ which still hasn’t made them as good as the likes of Oxfords.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I was lucky enough to find a replacement fairing for my ATAS.
I'm sorry for whoever has lost their bike.

I've fitted the new fairing so my bike is back as it should be for a very reasonable £110 delivered.

The broken fairing I removed is still a bit of a mystery as it appears to be cracking from both sides into the middle.
Its differcult to see on the pictures but it's cracked all the way through apart from a section of about 10mm in the centre just above the letter F.
I did manage to re purpose the broken fairing. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I was lucky enough to find a replacement fairing for my ATAS.
I'm sorry for whoever has lost their bike.

I've fitted the new fairing so my bike is back as it should be for a very reasonable £110 delivered.

The broken fairing I removed is still a bit of a mystery as it appears to be cracking from both sides into the middle.
Its differcult to see on the pictures but it's cracked all the way through apart from a section of about 10mm in the centre just above the letter F.
I did manage to re purpose the broken fairing. ?
Did you have to pay or did Honda replace? Why the £110?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts