Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opted getting a black 2018 base model instead of an ATAS. I have had my bike for 5 months. I liked many of the features of the AS, however, including the rally style seat. The base model's seat is more like a touring bike saddle whereas the ATAS rally style seat is more like you would find on a dirt bike.

I looked at aftermarket seats by Corbin, Touratech, Seat Concepts, etc. and did not find exactly what I wanted for the price I wanted. While at the dealer the other day, I looked at a 2019 ATAS and asked them to see if the ATAS front seat fit on the 2018/2019 base model. They obliged and we found the ATAS front seat fit perfectly on the base model....so I ordered a black 2019 ATAS front seat from the parts dept. for $200. It arrived today and I just completed the swap. The new seat fit as well as the old seat and my base model now looks a bit more like an ATAS. The ATAS front seat seems like it has more padding/foam and seemed more comfortable, but that could be my imagination/justification for spending $200.

By looking at the seats side by side and by sitting on my bike with the ATAS seat installed, it places the rider .5" to 1" higher than before. So, if your inseam is less than 34" you may want to stay with the stock seat. I am 6'1" and I think the height change is fine. Also, another constraint is color. The 2019 ATAS seat is black, perfectly matching my matte black base model seat. The 2018 ATAS seat is blue. So, if you want a rally style front seat in black or blue, consider the ATAS seat among your options.

Cheers!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Shux, wish you were near Texas and I would try to buy your old seat!!!
Looking for a standard AT seat to put on ATAS. Going lower, not higher......

·
Registered
335 Posts
I opted getting a black 2018 base model instead of an ATAS. I have had my bike for 5 months. I liked many of the features of the AS, however, including the rally style seat. The base model's seat is more like a touring bike saddle whereas the ATAS rally style seat is more like you would find on a dirt bike.

I looked at aftermarket seats by Corbin, Touratech, Seat Concepts, etc. and did not find exactly what I wanted for the price I wanted. While at the dealer the other day, I looked at a 2019 ATAS and asked them to see if the ATAS front seat fit on the 2018/2019 base model. They obliged and we found the ATAS front seat fit perfectly on the base model....so I ordered a black 2019 ATAS front seat from the parts dept. for $200. It arrived today and I just completed the swap. The new seat fit as well as the old seat and my base model now looks a bit more like an ATAS. The ATAS front seat seems like it has more padding/foam and seemed more comfortable, but that could be my imagination/justification for spending $200.

By looking at the seats side by side and by sitting on my bike with the ATAS seat installed, it places the rider .5" to 1" higher than before. So, if your inseam is less than 34" you may want to stay with the stock seat. I am 6'1" and I think the height change is fine. Also, another constraint is color. The 2019 ATAS seat is black, perfectly matching my matte black base model seat. The 2018 ATAS seat is blue. So, if you want a rally style front seat in black or blue, consider the ATAS seat among your options.

Cheers!

Would you mind putting some pics up from a few angles? I'd like to see how the ATAS seat interacts with the smaller AT tank, but I really like the idea.

Although, how is the rally style ATAS seat with a pillion? I guess good in the sense they can sit close to you instead of having a wide gap but doesn't it also make it easy for them to slide into the driver?

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks Goobnewton. It does indeed look nice on the bike and does seem more padded.

I also noticed you have the clutch arm guard from Altrider. I'm planning on getting it too because I've been catching the bottom of my motorbike pants on it. Pity they don't make a red version to match the rear brake guard and my bike though!

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Any idea of the ATAS seat will fit a 2016 AT. I have seat concepts rally style but not happy with it
It will fit just fine. The seat pans for the 2016 through 2019 models are the same. The only difference between them is the shape of the foam.

But, if you already have a seat concept rally-style seat, why would you want an ATAS seat? They are going to be basically the same thing. My wife ordered the Seat Concepts Rally Style Seat for her 2017 because she preferred the seat on my 2019 ATAS and now her seat is basically the same as mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts