Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, has anybody had issues with fuel pumps, this has done 1350 miles and I have been told today it needs a new pump!

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, but folks have stated issues with flakey sediment in the tank clogging filters off the showroom floor. If it went long enough it could burn up a pump. Or the pump could just fail.

Fortunately, that's an easy warranty fix.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks, has anybody had issues with fuel pumps, this has done 1350 miles and I have been told today it needs a new pump!
Yes...I have this problem and have been given full detail by my dealer as to it’s origin. Apparently there was a shut-down in bike building due to an earthquake (tsunami?) in Japan. In order to preserve the fuel tanks from rusting, they were sealed with a formula that was supposed to dissolve into the fuel once the tanks were installed. They did not take into consideration the use of ethanol, and the result was a Vaseline-like substance that clogs the fuel pump filters. My ‘19 ATAS developed this problem about 600 miles into break-in. My dealership is very familiar with fixing it—new pump and a clearing of the sealant in the tank, all warranty work. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
Yes...I have this problem and have been given full detail by my dealer as to it’s origin. Apparently there was a shut-down in bike building due to an earthquake (tsunami?) in Japan. In order to preserve the fuel tanks from rusting, they were sealed with a formula that was supposed to dissolve into the fuel once the tanks were installed. They did not take into consideration the use of ethanol, and the result was a Vaseline-like substance that clogs the fuel pump filters. My ‘19 ATAS developed this problem about 600 miles into break-in. My dealership is very familiar with fixing it—new pump and a clearing of the sealant in the tank, all warranty work. Hope this helps.
Is it possible that maybe your dealership is pulling your leg? The issue has also been happening with the new 2020 models as well.

According to the contact I spoke with at American Honda, the issue is zinc oxide as a result of the welding process and Honda is still investigating why it has been happening since as he put it "it's not like Honda has never welded a tank before." No mention about Tsunami or preservative in the tanks that's supposed to dissolve. Wasn't the last major Tsunami/Earthquake in 2011?

But who knows, perhaps it is American Honda who has it wrong and is passing misinformation?

I Dunno ¯\(ツ)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it possible that maybe your dealership is pulling your leg? The issue has also been happening with the new 2020 models as well.

According to the contact I spoke with at American Honda, the issue is zinc oxide as a result of the welding process and Honda is still investigating why it has been happening since as he put it "it's not like Honda has never welded a tank before." No mention about Tsunami or preservative in the tanks that's supposed to dissolve. Wasn't the last major Tsunami/Earthquake in 2011?

But who knows, perhaps it is American Honda who has it wrong and is passing misinformation?

I Dunno ¯\(ツ)

The service manager at the dealership in fact told me that the ‘19 and ‘20 ATAS models were effected. Having lived in Japan for two years, I know that earthquakes are frequent and often disruptive. I doubt that the ‘11 tsunami would have been the culprit. I have no reason to doubt that the information I was given as genuine. The svc. mngr. (Apex Motorsports/Colorado Springs) also claimed that his shop was among the first to service this problem.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
My dealer also claimed they were among the first to deal with it as well ,but of course two things can be true at once :)

I had a long response, but in retrospect I will just leave it at "as long as it gets resolved, that's all that is really important, regardless of the cause."

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
My dealer also claimed they were among the first to deal with it as well ,but of course two things can be true at once :)

I had a long response, but in retrospect I will just leave it at "as long as it gets resolved, that's all that is really important, regardless of the cause."
Timing for recently affected Forum members is a downer, especially now that full riding season is here for most. Of course, access to Honda Service is still variable.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
Timing for recently affected Forum members is a downer, especially now that full riding season is here for most. Of course, access to Honda Service is still variable.
Parts availability was far better on my second go around than on the first. Hopefully in part because Honda is now aware that this is an issue with more than just a few random bikes. First go around the had it 6 weeks due to parts backorder in Japan, second just a few days because parts where available in the USA.

But of course Covid has had an impact on shipping times, etc. (and so many other things)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts