Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The indicators on my ATAS are driving me mad. Approach a roundabout, indicate, slow down and hit the roundabout. Just as you hit the roundabout your indicator cancels and you have to re apply it when you are trying to change gear. Is there any way to extend or get rid of the auto cancel.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Good question. I have no idea. Does it 'cancel elves'? They are pesky on roundabouts, too. ;)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When I test rode it I never even realised it had self cancelling indicators until near the end of the test ride, so they can't have been cutting off before they should have been. I'm sure I read on Hondas website that they were not just on a timer and were linked to the lean angle detector. But now I can't find that claim.
For what it's worth Kev, you may get used to it. Yesterday I had a loan car and its indicators were wierd - a half lift to switch them on for 3 seconds and a full lift for on until they self cancellled. Other drivers must have thought I was nuts as I was trying to cancel by pulling the switch the other way. But I'm sure within a few days I would have got used to the 'new' system
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found a write up on the 2018 indicators. It says the indicators are not on a simple timer but measure the difference in rotational speed of front and back wheels. That ones got me beat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also find the the indicators annoying at times.
Could be at a junction waiting to maneuver and the indicators would have cancelled even though I haven't moved.
Or on the motorway. If you indicate to inside lane around the 3 hundred metre mark they have cancelled before I take the junction.
Could be deemed a safety issue or a traffic offence if they don't see the first time you have used your indicators.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Self Canceling feature is a problem for me too. If I recall well, it will self-cancel within 120 meters when the bikes goes in straight line (not turning). Those 120 meters are too short of a distance in many cases, like if you are in a highway at high speed and want to take an exit; I need to warn the traffic early enough and definitely I cannot calculate the 120m spot. So, I find myself keeping an eye on the indicators and press again after some seconds to make sure that they stay lit. Not a good thing to have to keep an eye to the blinkers while approaching a turn.....

I wish that Honda would have left open the choise for this feature; I believe that 90% of the owners would .... cancel the self-canceling operation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope Honda or someone come up with a fix to revert back to normal indicators. The self cancelling indicators suck! The amount of time you have to turn them on twice cancels out the logic of having them turn off for you. Turning them off is natural (well for most of us!) So basically Honda has made more work for me. Here, go forth and keep staring at your dash instead of the road. It's bad. Sorry Honda, I don't know how this made it to the road.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Many cars and some bikes have self cancelling indicators. Do they all have these problems?
Mike

Mike, they do but not in the same operation principle our bike does. The cancelation happens when the steering wheel comes to the "straight" position. For example, if the turn is slight, and the rotation angle of the steering wheel is small they may not even cancel. Definitely, they do not cancel after x-meters of travel. (at least this is how cars are in EU)

In our bikes the problem is the cancelation after x-meters of straight line travel; the distance is too small.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any updates to this issue yet? I'm with the rest of you, they cancel far too soon on my 2018 and I'm finding myself faffing about with the indicators and blowing the horn (why is the horn button where the indicators switch should be) instead of paying attention to where I'm going.

I had self cancelling indicators on my Tiger 800 XCx but only rarely needed to switch them on twice. Triumph must have a longer time/distance delay on theirs.

Are the 2019 bikes the same? No software update available?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I dont understand this thread.. the indicators on my bike are self cancelling, but, I have found myself on several occasions having to cancel them myself as Ive been in a situation where they have continued after a turn for too long, which I felt was confusing.

As for cancelling themselves too early, while waiting to turn. Im not aware of that happening even once.

I'll pay a little more attention to this over the next few days and see exactly what happens.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I dont understand this thread.. the indicators on my bike are self cancelling, but, I have found myself on several occasions having to cancel them myself as Ive been in a situation where they have continued after a turn for too long, which I felt was confusing.

As for cancelling themselves too early, while waiting to turn. Im not aware of that happening even once.

I'll pay a little more attention to this over the next few days and see exactly what happens.
Yes occasionally they do go on a bit too long after you have leant the bike into a turn. Could be wrong in an urban environment with junctions close together.
Your second point is a good one. Honda seem to have written quite a complicated algorithm for self cancelling. Part of that seems to be 'if rider is signalling then bike stops, keep indicators operating until bike moves and turns'. Another one is 'if signalling and no substantial bike lean happens within 10 seconds, then cancel indicators'. This is great for lane changing on a motorway, but of course if you indicate too early to take a junction, it may cancel them at exactly the wrong moment and give the guy waiting at the junction the idea that you have changed your mind.
I think they have also included routines for including whether the bike is slowing down or not (eg on motorways it may actually be an acceleration).
On the whole I think the system is much more sophisticated than I had expected. It would help considerably though if Honda would publish the conditions - that I am guessing at above - then we could more quickly get used to the system and know when we should start indicating or when we need to press a repeat.
Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Been a fair old time since this question was asked.. and im just curious if people on this side of the pond still think this is problematic? (I do not)
do you now have self cancellers on the latest bikes elsewhere in the world? the states? and if so.. what do you think of them?

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
I wish I knew (Canada)

The last time I experienced self cancelling turn signals was on my '76 Yamaha.

They worked almost all the time. That said, I was forced to manually cancel since "almost" is not enough.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
165 Posts
I have the 2021AT and I love the autocancelling turn lights, they work pretty well most of the time, a lot more than me on the manual mode on previous bikes!! 😏

·
Registered
597 Posts
The indicators on my ATAS are driving me mad. Approach a roundabout, indicate, slow down and hit the roundabout. Just as you hit the roundabout your indicator cancels and you have to re apply it when you are trying to change gear. Is there any way to extend or get rid of the auto cancel.
For whatever reasons it appears the North American Africa Twins did not get that feature (at least until after 2019). The only fix might be to swap the module controlling that function with a North American module. Most likely the modules and wiring harnesses are destination specific and won't permit it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts