Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hovis and I decide get out today, and celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force, both of us served in the 80’s. We rode around Oxfordshire, visiting some of the old RAF bases. The ATAS was perfect for the job, chilly and very overcast, so heated grips were welcome and seemed to work very well for me. Just loving the DCT, so glad I choose it over the manual bike. The ATAS colour scheme was very apt for the day, with its red, white and blue colours, looks stunning.

Sorry not many photos and not great quality, but thought you guys might be interested. RAF Grove was not only a British base, but also used by the US Army Air Force, 1943/45, 31st Transport Group. Not much left these days, but theres a small plaque to commemorate the base and those that served there, as well as a De Havilland Venom, mounted at the entrance to the site.

Sorry don’t seem to be able to get photos to show!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like a good ride out....4" of snow curtailed any hope of a ride out for me today.
It's a shame there isn't an organisation or bunch of local volunteers to keep the plaques in tip top condition. CWGC sprung to mind

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a good ride out....4" of snow curtailed any hope of a ride out for me today.
It's a shame there isn't an organisation or bunch of local volunteers to keep the plaques in tip top condition. CWGC sprung to mind

Unfortunately, these things are not so important to many of the younger generations, which is a shame. Next time I’m out, I’ll take some brasso and a cloth, so I’m prepared to clean, if I find a plaque that needs some care and attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts