Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK ATAS owner needs some advice for tyres please, more pavement use than off road, I seem to be coming to the end safe use on the original Dunlops after just 5000,mls ?? Live in the kent marshes so lots of damp back roads, any ideas most welcome ...

·
Registered
50 Posts
UK ATAS owner needs some advice for tyres please, more pavement use than off road, I seem to be coming to the end safe use on the original Dunlops after just 5000,mls ?? Live in the kent marshes so lots of damp back roads, any ideas most welcome ...
I found the Dunlops didn't inspire confidence over 5000 miles.

I've fitted Avon Trail Riders and so far completed 1000 miles in torrential rain, high winds and gorgeous sunshine. They are marketed as a 90/10 tyre. All miles so far are tarmac. Highly recommended. Love them.

Stuart

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bridgestone Adventure A41's,the longest lasting tyre ive ever had,got 7000miles out of them,with me and the ATAS combined weight of 360kgs i reckon that's not bad going,great tyres.

Cheers :smile2:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bridgestone Adventure A41's,the longest lasting tyre ive ever had,got 7000miles out of them,with me and the ATAS combined weight of 360kgs i reckon that's not bad going,great tyres.

Cheers :smile2:
Are these tubed and did you fit and balance yourself?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Trial 2 - excellent tyre wet or dry and good mileage too. Conti Trial Attack 2 are good also, but I prefer the Pirellis. Had 2 sets of the Pirellis on my KTM 1290 as well. I don't do off road though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pirelli Scorpion Trial 2 - excellent tyre wet or dry and good mileage too. Conti Trial Attack 2 are good also, but I prefer the Pirellis. Had 2 sets of the Pirellis on my KTM 1290 as well. I don't do off road though.
Unfortunately My ATAS is not tubeless...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did look ! are they able to take Inner tubes? or have you just fitted regardless?
Try asking your tyre place. They should know. Apparently some have sidewall info which refers to "when fitted with tube".... By the way, my tyre guy was very firm in the opinion that, if you have no intention in doing serious off-road, do not fit heavyweight/heavy duty tubes as they get too hot with high speed road use and cannot shed heat via the tyre due to thicker rubber on tube. They then go bang.......

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KTM used to fit Tubeless Pirelli tyres to their KTM9x0s with tubes as OEM. (MT90s)
Ok Interesting. I have michelin anakees 111 on my xrv 750 rd07 and they dont seem to wear out, However
My ATAS after 5k , 2mL left on front and 4ml rear. I cant get an 18 inch rear in the anakee as they only do a 17inch.
Bummer as I hate buying Tyres...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read message thread called Tubeless Solution on this forum. There are kits as well as DIY procedures to allow the use of a tubeless tire on spoked rims meant for tubed tires.
I have seen these but the spoke heads on the ATAS are very protruding and may require grounding off, so too much faffin about for me Im afraid, read loads on them leaking as well and I prefer belt and brasses approach, Ive mostly only ridden older bikes with tubes and not really had too much agro with them but seem to be limited on choice with this ATAS which is a bit of a let down really and Im as tight as a holes so not going down the road of new wheels..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Read message thread called Tubeless Solution on this forum. There are kits as well as DIY procedures to allow the use of a tubeless tire on spoked rims meant for tubed tires.
I have seen these but the spoke heads on the ATAS are very protruding and may require grounding off, so too much faffin about for me Im afraid, read loads on them leaking as well and I prefer belt and brasses approach, Ive mostly only ridden older bikes with tubes and not really had too much agro with them but seem to be limited on choice with this ATAS which is a bit of a let down really and Im as tight as a holes so not going down the road of new wheels..
I wouldn't buy new wheels either. The spoke heads can't be protruding too much or the tubes that they came with would become damaged, no?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't buy new wheels either. The spoke heads can't be protruding too much or the tubes that they came with would become damaged, no?
True but in the sense of the sealing kit Ideally suited to flatter heads, This is what i came across whilst reading various threads, 1 poster asked central wheels who are professional wheel builders if they could put the kit on for him but they refused on the bases of the angle the spoke heads are positioned , So it put me off..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did look ! are they able to take Inner tubes? or have you just fitted regardless?
I had them fitted by the Honda dealer using the original tubes, because I didn't trust the Dunlops. I am not aware of a problem with doing this, but they have been on the bike for 4,000 miles :laugh:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am also buying tyres for my Atas.
Though I fancy something a bit chunkier but with excellent road manners.

I have ordered Pirelli Scorpion STR. I did contact Pirelli about fitting tubes and they replied no problem if you use Pirelli tubes.

I took that as tubes are fine but please buy are tubes. I will have my original tubes fitted as they contain Bike Seal.

I have also read a great deal about tyres recently and I know the Conti Trail attack 2 are well rated wet or dry for road use.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts