Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone else has this. When I pull away cold from home, after a 100 yards I close the throttle at a junction and the bike surges forward.I have to grab the clutch to slow it down as the revs take off. After say half a mile its OK. It only happens when the bike is stone cold.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Am I stating the obvious here... you should not be riding the bike when the engine is stone cold. let it warm up, at tickover, until the initial 'high revs' have settled back to normal. This usually coincides with the first bar coming on, on the engine temperature gauge. Takes a few minutes in Winter.. a little faster at this time of year.

It is very bad practice to ride a water cooled/fuel injected, motorcycle away (putting the engine under load) immediately after first ignition from cold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always start my bikes, then put my gear on. Typically by the time i'm situated with helmets, gloves, jacket the bike is warm.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see what is wrong with driving off with a cold engine as long as its not loaded up until warm. Car drivers don't sit for a while until the engine warms up and they are water cooled fuel injected just the same. If setting off with a cold engine was an issue it would state that in the manual, and it dosnt.

Sounds to me like the old advice to run in an engine gently when the current advice is to ride it harder up and down the rev range.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do know that on harleys that is the easiest way to have your cylinder base gasket start leaking, but i really doubt that will happen on the AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts