Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see and hear about your camping gear that you have carried. Of that gear I would appreciate if it was tried and true test gear that you have used for years in many environments. Your “go to” gear that has not let you down.
I’m looking to compile a list of adventure gear for travel, NOT rider gear, stuff for camping; TENTS, LIGHTS/LANTERNS, STOVES, FIRE STARTERS, UTENSILS, DISHWARE, SLEEPING MATS, and so on. Even remote gear would be nice too like PLB’s and water purification, etc.
thanks

Reactions: burnout72

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm on a trip right now. I'm currently on section 4 of the mabdr.

Good thread idea AT.

Goto gear.... My eno hammock doublenest, profly tarp, bug net. I just purchased a down quilt set for it to use in lieu of a sleeping bag. I've already seen a low of 30°, and I slept like a baby.

For years I've been using a peak 1 little colman stove and love it, but this trip I'm trying out a jetboil flash I picked up used. I bought the wider cooking pot and the stove stows inside it. It packs so much better than my peak 1.....I have a bit more fuel anxiety with it because the peak 1 uses white fuel which can be found anywhere and it'll also run on unleaded. So hopefully I calculated correctly! I use Starbucks via instant coffee and I can be enjoying a hot cup in minutes.

From utensils to everything else, I use backpacking equipment. It's all lightweight and mean to pack small.

Maybe for another thread is food and how we manage it out off the beaten path.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ll second the ENO shelter products. Used them for years, set up and take down are QUICK and DRY compared to tents if you do the tarp first. Suggest the long straps over the standard.

MSR PocketRocket I or II for “cooking.”

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From utensils to everything else, I use backpacking equipment. It's all lightweight and mean to pack small.

Yea I was hoping some avid backpackers would chime in too.
A lot of that stuff is perfect for bikers.

·
Administrator
1,979 Posts
My MSR Windburner stove has not let me down, where previously owned Jet Boil stoves have. The unique design of the Windburner keeps it lit and cooking in much much more adverse conditions than the Jet Boil. We carry one of these and a Pocket Rocket 2 with in our kit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe for another thread is food and how we manage it out off the beaten path.
I have yet to be disappointed with the convenience, size and quality of mountain house. The price reflects it, though at ~$10/ pouch. That being said, fishing and foraging is fun if you have the time and know what not to eat.

·
Administrator
1,979 Posts
I have yet to be disappointed with the convenience, size and quality of mountain house. The price reflects it, though at ~$10/ pouch. That being said, fishing and foraging is fun if you have the time and know what not to eat.
Sometimes you can find Mountain House in a bulk bucket/bin at Costco. The selection of flavors is obviously limited in those, but we buy them and supplement with other individual pouches.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a backpacker and try to keep things light. BUT, it depends a lot on what your level of comfort is and WHERE you go. I have a Nemo Hornet 2P tent, about 2 pounds (tent, fly, groundsheet, poles & pegs - do NOT need hiking poles to set up), my sleep system is a ThermaRest Uberlight plus -6C bag plus pillow. I also plan to take a small tarp with me on a bike. For cooking, I use the MSR solo cookset plus the MSR PocketRocket Deluxe and small canisters. I do not like freeze dried crap (mountainhouse or other) so I'm upgrading my cookset to something a bit larger that I can "cook" on. That'll give me the capability to do stuff like fry up salami, add minute rice etc. For food, you really need to get your equipment and then try different foods to see what works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Warbonnet Ridge Runner Hammock, tarp, down top and bottom quilts. Trangia Mini Cook/stove set. Yellow HEET fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, keep them coming..
Looking to compile a short list of good solid equipment for those who are new to the adventure motorcycle realm . So they can have a good “ base” of equipment to build off of.

·
Administrator
1,979 Posts
Thanks all, keep them coming..
Looking to compile a short list of good solid equipment for those who are new to the adventure motorcycle realm . So they can have a good “ base” of equipment to build off of.
Does marshmallows, chocolate and Graham crackers count? It just isn't camping without S'mores!

On a more serious note. Gerber E-tool and a good molle case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

I usually go on trips including wild camping days too, from 3 to 10-12 days. The gear is the same for both triplengths jut for the longer trip i carry more clothing, socks and pants because i don't like to do laundry on these trips. The only laundry i do is for the base layers i use, i have two of these plus one winter layer just in case (but i go in summer times only), sometimes in the mountains can be very chilly.

1.Clothing
-socks, pants (for X days)
-long shirts, t shirts. 2 or 3 max for 10 days (theya re used in the morning and evenings so no need to do laundry)
-i do have the base layers 2 summer ones and one winter layer, (they are very thin and very effective)
-for a long expedition trip like Turkey where weather can vary too much i carry a keis heated vest too. does not take that much spac-
  • one pantaloon and shorts too. one each is enough... used again just in the evenings and mornings.
  • a pair of slippers(around the tent and for shower in campings, bathroom)
-one pair of waterproof shoes,if camping in mountains where grass is wet etc.
-windstopper for the upper body (jacket). One or two, usually one thin and one thicker. sometimes in the evenings around campfire it can be really cold so the second one is good. Sometimes i skip the thick one and use the riding jacket but once we got some havy rain and the jacket was wet and i didn't had the thiker one with me. I managed it somehow but it's good to have dry stuff with you.
-thin rain coat (very small amout of space) but good in light rain and staying around a campfire.
-i wear masks in my helmet o i bring a few of them with me too
-waterproof riding gear

2.Camping gear
-tent (i do have a husy flame 2) need to be waterproof in heavey conditions
-sleeping bag. i do have a -24 celsius sleeping bad. It can be complressed very well and you will never have problems if temperature drops around 0 degree celsius. U can still sleep in pants and t shirt at night.
-self inflating matress.i do inflate it with my mouth a little but, it's a very good insolation and very complressible.
-camping chair. TREKOLOGY IZI GO (very compact and lightweight) It's very good when after a long riding day you can relax and drink your beer in it.
-pocket chainshaw... good when collecting some wood for the campfire
-simple gas stove and bottle.
-i also have a windbocker around the gastove so no problem using it when windy outside.
-one thermos can and some camping stuff for cooking, heating up some food, knife
-i also bring with me some acrylate. you can get it from the dental technicians. this is very good to start a campfire. i'm sure there are available more stuff like this on the market but if they get moisture they did not burn well enough. so a piece of acrylate is very helpfull.. Especially after a rain the wood is wet. It's hard to start. or course you can do it with some gas from tank or so but i avoid this .
  • i don't bring food for 10 days with me, but at leas i have for 3-4 days. there are markets on the road and you can buy almost everywhere local fresh food, bread etc. usually at the last locality we buy cold beer and to to the wild camping area.
  • i have a small axe with me too.
-grainded coffe and a coffe maker. (i drink coffe so this is a must for me.)
- a 15 meter rope for hanging and drying clothing

3. Toileteries
-a little bag for showering cleaning.
-some medication in case of a stomach flue etc. some tea.
-hand cleaning solution and wet towels.(these are usually in my tankbag for quick access)
- thing microfibre thowel. it dryes very fast

4. Tools (this depends on the bike. i do have an ATAS so i use the followings)
-motionpro bead breaker.
-bike specific tools, keys. hex etc. i built it based on youtube videos plus some experience
- airpump
-extra tubes, patches.
-small wd40 (good when need to lubricate something eventually the tire rim)
-i have an oiler (cobra nerro 2) but i do carry a small chain lubricant spray too.
-tyre pressure meter

5. Extras (maybe just me)
-due to my job being an IT developer i do carry with me my macbook air too (fits nicely in the side panier)
-i do have an inmarsat satellite phone with me (also due to my job) (i do not work on vacation but sometimes i need to be a a quick call to solve somethings and if i don't have reception the sat phone is a lifesaver. and anyways if something happens out in nowhere i can be a lifesaver for calling backup.)
-sd card, garmin 64s.

The bike is loaded the following way.
Right panier: (clothing and laptop) (no shoes and slippers.. they will be elsewhere)
Left panier: sleeping bag, matress, kitchen stuff, some food
Instead of topcase i use two 30L touratech rollbags. One bag contains by tent, axe, pockect chainshaw, camping chair. The second bag contains the food which has some weight, plus some stuffs what does not fit everywhere else. (it's easy to pack in rollbag, just throw in everything, shake it a little bit and it's ok. )
Tankback contains the documents and money and airpump, some tools, tyre pressure meter. hand cleaning stuff for my own igiene
For long trips i have chrashbar bags what caintains waterproof riding gear and extra tubes. maybe my adventure knife and anything which fits in to that. (if i don't bring crashbar bags all of that content lands in the second rollbag and wherever it can fit.)
i do have two small 10 L waterproof roll bags. Slippers, shoes, rope, clothing ready for laundry :)
All of the rollbags are secured with rock straps(they are very stable) i do have an extra strap just in case.
On top of the rollbags there are two lid nets. They are good because makes the whole luggage more compact. also it can fit any stuff like shoes, slippers, thowels if need to dry it during the day for a little
On the rear side of the paniers i have two 2 litre expansion bags. These holds the medication, some tea, etc (the bags are waterproof) i also put here thirt and short. It's goot to have quick access wen you arrive at a camping or somewhere and need to quickly change the riding gear.

And lately here is my bike loaded with the stuffs above. This was a 11 day turkey trip 6500 km which was cut in halp due to the covid restrictions and we had to urgently ride back home. SO we will go in two years, hopefully things will shallow until that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am a soft luggage traveller. Have destroyed a few hard luggage solutions when I end up in stupid terrain. It was a choice: avoid the more extreme trails or go to soft luggage. Also had enough clipping issues with hard luggage on single trails to decide away from them.

In the pic you can see my tent. Robens Raptor 2 man tent. Unbelievable tent for bad weather and stupidly easy to set up. Its a true 2 man so I can also use this with my missus when we do some gentle adventures (sans bike) together. I rearrange the packing by taking out the poles and pegs and stuffing in my sleeping bag, sleeping mat and inflatable pillow into the tent bag as well. The poles and pegs go into the horseshoe saddle bag.

What I find nice about this system is that there are only 3 straps holding down the bag, and the rear loop strap that hooks up underneath the stock rack jams in the tent bag when the front two straps are tensioned down. If I get crazy and down the bike somewhere, 3 straps is all I have to release to get all luggage off so the bike is easier to recover.

The down side is the center of gravity of the luggage is high. but I know that if my handlebars pass something, the rest will easily and skimming lower obstacles will not snag panniers at all.
I try to keep all luggage (inc tools) to below 25kg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am a soft luggage traveller. Have destroyed a few hard luggage solutions when I end up in stupid terrain. It was a choice: avoid the more extreme trails or go to soft luggage. Also had enough clipping issues with hard luggage on single trails to decide away from them.

In the pic you can see my tent. Robens Raptor 2 man tent. Unbelievable tent for bad weather and stupidly easy to set up. Its a true 2 man so I can also use this with my missus when we do some gentle adventures (sans bike) together. I rearrange the packing by taking out the poles and pegs and stuffing in my sleeping bag, sleeping mat and inflatable pillow into the tent bag as well. The poles and pegs go into the horseshoe saddle bag.

What I find nice about this system is that there are only 3 straps holding down the bag, and the rear loop strap that hooks up underneath the stock rack jams in the tent bag when the front two straps are tensioned down. If I get crazy and down the bike somewhere, 3 straps is all I have to release to get all luggage off so the bike is easier to recover.

The down side is the center of gravity of the luggage is high. but I know that if my handlebars pass something, the rest will easily and skimming lower obstacles will not snag panniers at all.
I try to keep all luggage (inc tools) to below 25kg.

View attachment 57742
View attachment 57743
Wow, there is really great information in this thread. I didn’t describe my gear because my buddy was a serious backpacker so I just borrow all his hi-tech stuff. I don’t even know the names...how lame is that?

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey @dallas for more names; the sleeping bag is ancient but great quality. Its a Mountain Design 3-4 season down bag, the mat is an UltraLight from Sea To Summit. Pillow from the same mob.
The horseshoe bag is from 21Brothers

I always carry a space blanket in my first aid kit and I stuff a home made cotton sleeping bag liner in with the sleeping bag. Between these 2 extras, and the sleeping bag, you have the whole range from when its roasting hot to when it is freezing cold (2800m spring/autumn camping in the alps)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts