Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obligatory apology: I think this is a common question and I am sure there has to be an answer in the forum. I did find many threads regarding auxiliary lights but all of the ones I saw/parts I read only stated what had been used and none seemed to address the issue I am having. Sorry for the possible duplicate post due to my laziness.

My 2017 AT has the OEM crash bars and I want to mount an extra set of light pods as I have on my Versys but I am running into some issues and concerns:

• The ideal solution for protection and positioning would be along the lines of SW-MOTECH's , Denali's. or Touratech's. However, the Denali states it is incompatible with the OEM crashbars and the same seems to apply to the SW-MOTECH (who I believe is in competition with IKEA for the most obscure installation instructions in the world). Touratech's is nice but they will not sell the mounts separetely, only in the pricey kit.

• The alternative option is to use clamps such as these or these on the OEM crash bars. I got the second one and, although solid and nice, their shape makes them touch the fairing in the position I want the lights to be and, even with regular use, they'll likely damage the plastic. The PIAA ones seem to be a slimmer fit and are the next option I can think of on my own but the crash bar mount option brings me to the last concern.

• In the Reddit AT sub someone stated that the OEM crash bars are slightly more than an accessory mounting location and provide no protection to the upper fairing at all. I've laid the bike down twice now and, although scratched, I see no damage to the plastics behind it nor any permanent deformation to the bars.

Is there a consensus on how strong they are? I'd hate to spend time running wire in a layout that might get severely skewed with a single drop, let alone something involving any forward movement.

Thanks again for any input!

·
Registered
36 Posts
hopefully someone shows us pictures of their mounting...i too spent the afternoon today, looking at where to mount and what kind of light and mounting should I get?...

We got caught by darkness coming home last month in rural road full of twisties and it was slow going as I couldn't see into the corners. Need floods or something shining into the corneres.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Obligatory apology: I think this is a common question and I am sure there has to be an answer in the forum. I did find many threads regarding auxiliary lights but all of the ones I saw/parts I read only stated what had been used and none seemed to address the issue I am having. Sorry for the possible duplicate post due to my laziness.

My 2017 AT has the OEM crash bars and I want to mount an extra set of light pods as I have on my Versys but I am running into some issues and concerns:

• The ideal solution for protection and positioning would be along the lines of SW-MOTECH's , Denali's. or Touratech's. However, the Denali states it is incompatible with the OEM crashbars and the same seems to apply to the SW-MOTECH (who I believe is in competition with IKEA for the most obscure installation instructions in the world). Touratech's is nice but they will not sell the mounts separetely, only in the pricey kit.

• The alternative option is to use clamps such as these or these on the OEM crash bars. I got the second one and, although solid and nice, their shape makes them touch the fairing in the position I want the lights to be and, even with regular use, they'll likely damage the plastic. The PIAA ones seem to be a slimmer fit and are the next option I can think of on my own but the crash bar mount option brings me to the last concern.

• In the Reddit AT sub someone stated that the OEM crash bars are slightly more than an accessory mounting location and provide no protection to the upper fairing at all. I've laid the bike down twice now and, although scratched, I see no damage to the plastics behind it nor any permanent deformation to the bars.

Is there a consensus on how strong they are? I'd hate to spend time running wire in a layout that might get severely skewed with a single drop, let alone something involving any forward movement.

Thanks again for any input!
General consensus about OEM "crash" bars is that... better do not crash! :wink2:
I've seen images of Honda crash bars against the fairing after a small crash... probably depends on the type of crash.
If you decide to keep the Honda crash bars, probably your best option is to use the OEM fog lights (yes I know, they're expensive).
If you're willing to replace the OEM crash bars... well there is an entire world of options in front of you! I've mounted the Outback Motortek crash bars and I'll add a couple of Koso Aurora fog lights mounted on the Denali light mount.

·
Registered
445 Posts
hopefully someone shows us pictures of their mounting...i too spent the afternoon today, looking at where to mount and what kind of light and mounting should I get?...

We got caught by darkness coming home last month in rural road full of twisties and it was slow going as I couldn't see into the corners. Need floods or something shining into the corneres.
See my post just above. Real fog lights (like the Koso Aurora) have a very ample shape: they will light up the corners pretty well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts