Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I am interested in making my own harness for the 12V socket to power my Garmin 62S and the USB connector for phones etc. Would like to hook it up to the 4 way OEM connector to the front just behind the light (not direct to battery).

Would anyone know how to source the 4 way or 2 way OEM water proof connectors. Honda dealers should stock these connectors, but not sure if they sell to the general public. Jaycar sell a different 4 way water proof connector, but I would need to remove the existing connector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DEET. Easternbeaver has every possible connector on the bike. I just put an order for the aux harness for the two connections and bought some spare connectors.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Aux. Connector

Hi!

Touratech (at least here in Europe) is offering such connectors (Sumitomo) as well.

Cheers, gerhard

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd like to do this mod also, but I'm not much of an electrician.

In addition to the harness, I would need the CRF1000 FPS Accessory Kit and a 12v socket correct?

Anything else?

·
Registered
479 Posts
loads of info on this thread 12V power socket retrofit

On my posts with the wiring schematic note I think I have the arrow the wrong way round on the high beam tell, this should be coming out of the connection to switch aux lights on along with high beam, if that is your choice of course. In my schematics that would get rid of the dash switch as it is switched from this tell rather than a manual button. (either with/without a relay depending on what your lighting kit contains). I originally though this high beam tell was like the fog light tell to show your aux lights on if you wanted to light up the high beam indicator on the dash instead of the fog light indicator. I stand to be corrected but I am pretty sure this would be the case. So where I say choose which light you want to light up on the dash this is probably incorrect, you should probably only use the spare fog indicator as this definately will not be connected up to anything else unless the bike already has Honda fog lights of course!

Further down the post you might note that there was actually no OEM cable connected to my high beam tell anyway, so not an option for me to use, must only be certain models or geos maybe, dunno?

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is what I did for my aux ports.
Kingleoj2 - so you simply splice all three power outlets together and feed them into the Sumitomo connector? Did you put a fuse in the harness?

I see a fuse on the Honda part, and I would prefer to do it that way, but I'm not sure how it gets wired into the harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rugged Roads also sell the terminal you need to connect to the aux power supply in the dash. They are a UK company and you will find the exchange rate pretty good at the moment. I received the part (to NZ) in 4 days when I ordered mine BTW.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pvanryn - yes I just soldered all 3 together into the connector (no fuse because my thinking at the time was the connector port was fused) at the time I probably should have put a fuse in but didn't - I have ran multiple things (my GPS - USB for my tracker and air pump) all has worked as planned - the only electric thing I have is a vest and I haven't used that yet this year.

·
Registered
479 Posts
eltel62 the link didn't come through in your post. Would you please post it again?
Try typing 12V power socket retrofit in the search bar on the forum pages, it should come right up as a topic. Not sure why my link is not working, it does seem to jump to a generic amazon page or something.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just ordered the connectors. If anyone is interested, the Sumitomo connectors can be purchased here - and the minimum order is only $5.00.

·
Registered
48 Posts
have a question on the aux. socket hook up, what is the reason to run the wire to the back under the seat? couldnt you just install a 12v socket in the oem cutout and run the wire to a wire thats hot with the key on? thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
want to install a usb socket int the oem cut out up front is there a connector up front to plug that into? im use to my goldwing that has all plug and play for everything maybe some one could explain how to install that 12v out let and what needs to be done thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
so i take it there is a connector behind the head light or some wheres up there 4 wire plug?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts