Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Just installed the Denali D4 lights and Africa Twin Specfic mounting bar (DENALI Auxiliary Light Mount For Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L '16-'17 - LAH.01.10300 ).
I cut apart the Denali harness and used the waterproof light connections (there are two extra for longer applications) - I only needed two to get under the left side front fairing and into the hole Honda left for wiring their lights on the left hand side. I got tired of monkeying around with the relay and went right to the accessory plug (extra) under the speedometer/dash connection.

Red wire - power
Black wire - neutral/ground
Purple wire - fog return light (connected to the power wire after the switch).

Works great. Fits nicely in the little space under the left fairing and looks meant to fit with the OEM foglight button.

I did the power socket, my GPS and the OEM fog light button all at the same time. Took some figuring to get everything apart and back together. Holy smokes the Denali lights are bright - great for visibility and night riding.
superfunkomatic

Got the OEM 12v charger, about to order the Denali 2.0 D4 light and mount. Now I need to order the OEM light switch, and figure out what you did for a GPS set up.

Decided a while ago that I was going to do the charger and lights at the same time because I have to pull my AltRider upper bars and headlight guard before pulling the fairing off but this project seems like exactly what I need to be doing (GPS is something I just thought I'd run to the 12V but you seem to have found a better way).

Can you elaborate on process, especially in regard to wiring and whether or not you went with a kit like one would find at easternbeaver.com or really ANYTHING you could share as you're set up right where I need to get to?

Thanks in advance Sensai!

· Registered
1,039 Posts
To hook up the GPS and the OEM charging point/accessory socket I bought the Honda wiring harness (08U70-MJP-G50).

From Eastern Beaver I bought a splitter that hooks up to the Sumitomo connection that is tucked away (and unused) from under the front fairing. Eastern Beaver calls it the "Aux Power Connectors" and "Power Splitter for Front Fairing Power Connector".

One part of that splitter I used the supplied connection (sumitomo sealed) that has the four wiring connection and it plugs right into the Honda wiring harness. The other end of the splitter has two wires (red/black) that I used the supplied extra male connection from Easter Beaver and crimped on a connection to my GPS power wires.

Here's a video on how to get things apart and find the connector under the fairing and dash.

https://youtu.be/qc1SOR4hJ48 - Take apart front plastics

https://youtu.be/ZVHX7S6sS3k - Find the accessory power connection

The charging point in the dash and your GPS are then ready to go. There's a wiring diagram here in the thread that shows how the switch is wired to the four wires so that it lights up the LED in the dash to show on/off. The only other hitch I noticed was that one of my wires was purple, which seemed to be different than the bikes overseas.

Red wire - power
Black wire - neutral/ground
Purple wire - fog return light (connected to the power wire after the switch).

The wiring diagram will show you the order for power and the OEM switch in the dash. I think I found more information on this thread: Need Help with Installation of TT Fog + OEM Switch

I didn't use the Denali relay and cut apart the harness to simplify things. You could also just use their instructions and find a switchable wire under the faring use the relay and their handlebar switch. I really wanted to use the OEM dash switch.

If you really wanted to be efficient and not have to open the front fairing for fuses you could skip the splitter and connectors and run power wires and the fuses all the way back under the seat. That way if you blow a fuse you don't have to take off the front plastics. I wasn't that bothered - unlikely to blow a fuse on the GPS and use the charging point only for my phone or low-draw power sources since it's rated to only 7.5A (a pump will blow the fuse).

I hope that helps. I think with a bit of electrical knowledge and ingenuity you'll be able to figure it out no problem.

superfunkomatic

Got the OEM 12v charger, about to order the Denali 2.0 D4 light and mount. Now I need to order the OEM light switch, and figure out what you did for a GPS set up.

Decided a while ago that I was going to do the charger and lights at the same time because I have to pull my AltRider upper bars and headlight guard before pulling the fairing off but this project seems like exactly what I need to be doing (GPS is something I just thought I'd run to the 12V but you seem to have found a better way).

Can you elaborate on process, especially in regard to wiring and whether or not you went with a kit like one would find at easternbeaver.com or really ANYTHING you could share as you're set up right where I need to get to?

Thanks in advance Sensai!

Attachments

Reactions: likes2fish

· Registered
335 Posts
For those interested in the easiest plug and play option to mount Denali d4'. Kit includes oem fog switch and datadim controller. The price doesn't seem too bad considering the lights are usually 300, datadim 50 and oem switch 20. I'm tempted but still expensive and will wait and have a think. Would prefer trying myself and saving some £££

http://www.africatwin.co.uk/home/cr...rf1000l-plug-and-play-led-lights-datadim.html

Otherwise, forget the Honda splitter (£40) and oem switch (2£0) and get this kit for £62:
https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/africa-twin/africa-twin-wiring-loom-for-lights/

Includes oem fog switch, connectors for fog lights and you still get the push ons for the 12v socket (though don't run anything too powerful from the socket). No need to connect anything except the lights.

Hope this helps people like me that aren't wiring pro's!

Reactions: gvmumbral

· Registered
46 Posts
so i went a different route to everyone else...

i scored a freebie 6" spot flood light from a 4x4 parts order i placed.

i made up a bracket from some 45mm flat light gauge steel.

picked up from the lower tripple tree clamps

wired into the high beam circuit..

the forks are supposed to have 170mm of travel .. the light allows 155mm .. if we swing hard on the bars i can make it touch the fender with an ever so light tink ( 2 x 90+ kg guys) .. ive been on some serious 4x4 tracks and it hasn't bottomed out yet...

i still need to adjust it ever so slightly as it reflects of the road signs at just the wrong angle .. but other than that its great for those dark n twisty roads first thing in the morning and even better for blinding the a'holes that drive constantly with high beam on ..

it will all change once i can afford the crash bars .. but til then ...

Attachments

· Registered
1,039 Posts
@ewen_whalen That looks good. Plenty bright and nicely tucked away. I do have a feeling that if you really push the bike your fender will hit that but try it out and see. Clever solution!

· Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the process of installing the Clearwater Krista/Erica hybrid system. They are expensive, but the quality is obvious and the harness is literally plug and play. The added light for night driving will be great, but the main reason is to be more visible to all the clueless and distracted drivers I get to interact with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

· Registered
335 Posts
Givi S322 LED fog lights

Thought this would be a good place to put these. Not sure if they are newish but weren't an option when I was looking for my Varadero 6 months ago. Anyone used these already or have experience with the previous halogen Givi lights? Any good and worth considering?

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/lights/givi-s322-led-projectors.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Givi-Projector-Lights-Black-S321/dp/B072K6QNKX

https://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Spotlights/S322 Led Projectors

· Registered
439 Posts
Is fog a big problem dahn sarf?

Because up here In the frozen wastelands it definitely isn't. I wouldn't mind extra lights, but not fog lights. Which for most if the year... Probably 360+ days are illegal to use. A lot of money for something I can hardly ever turn on. The lights I have in mind are £90 with Cree LEDs.

· Registered
335 Posts
Is fog a big problem dahn sarf?

Because up here In the frozen wastelands it definitely isn't. I wouldn't mind extra lights, but not fog lights. Which for most if the year... Probably 360+ days are illegal to use. A lot of money for something I can hardly ever turn on. The lights I have in mind are £90 with Cree LEDs.
Haha nope not fog, the big problem here is all the bad boyzzz and mandems that think it’s really cool to always have their fogs on on their cars. Then others use fogs because they have a broken bulb on the headlight and can’t fix it. Yet others use fogs and then forget to turn on their driving lights at night... the police obviously don’t give a **** unless someone dies.
I wish if just for a week they’d do an operation to fine all the people with broken lights or driving with fogs, every single person! You’d see how quickly people would learn...all reasons for which I think [email protected]#& it, i’ll put fogs on too but aiming low enough not to blind others. But happy to consider alternatives. Got a link for your £90 ones?

· Registered
800 Posts
so i went a different route to everyone else ...
Nice to see someone else catching up with me.....:wink2:

I took a lot of silly questions about the front guard hitting the DRL....to date, never has come close, though mine are obviously a mere single row of lights.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Aux Lighting makes a difference!

Although I have not added any aux lighting to my AT as of yet, it is a priority. My next upgrade will be crash bars, so I can mount the lighting on them. I have had aux lighting in the past, and I do feel that you are more visible and can see better with additional lighting. I commute everyday, and I have noticed a difference in being visible to box drivers. Additionally, the stock lightning on the AT does a good job of projecting light down the road, but it does not illuminate the side of the road or trial well at all. Most likely I will go with Denali, Hawk, or PIAA.

BTW the AT is a great commuting bike. Much better than my old Concourse. It gets great fuel mileage. I get 42+ in city traffic. Although the Honda OEM side cases leave a lot to be desired, they are adequate for my commute. I love the riding position, especially the seat height. It allows me to see over most box drivers. Finally, the bike handles most weather very well. It plows through puddles and road flooding with ease. I just can't wait to take it camping in spring. That is something the Connie did not do well at all.

· Registered
46 Posts
Nice to see someone else catching up with me.....:wink2:

I took a lot of silly questions about the front guard hitting the DRL....to date, never has come close, though mine are obviously a mere single row of lights.

yours is fairing mounted by the looks???

mine is mounted on the forks... it did just go tink until i swapped the bolts to the top and made a small tweak to the bend in the bracket.. resulted in light being 35mm further back 25 mm higher and absolutely no chance of fowling the mudguard ..

tested on saturday night on a local 4x4 playground in the pitch black ... in the slow and hard to see the headlight projecting forward and the spotty was looking wherever i pointed the handle bars ... awesome for in the ruts and rocky sections ..

· Registered
10 Posts
I’ve not read through every post but my 5 pence worth. Just mounted Denali D4’s with the dual intensity relay. Hi/low switch feed from the headlight cluster. Bought the OEM fog light switch for like £20 from Honda. Cut the Denali supplied switch and taped with the OEM. Works a charm.

· Registered
45 Posts
I'm thinking of installing the Baja Designs S8 lightbar in the same place as Dave F. Saw this on another bike about 2 weeks ago. I spoke to the BD rep. and he stated that I could connect direct to my BD Sportsman lights and use my dimmer switch to dim my S8 lightbar. The S8 has 6,350 lumens on high beam. When I switch to low beam I've been told I would get around 30% reduction in lumens being 4,445. My questions are: Is this still to high to drive on the highways? I could tilt it down some to prevent it shining into on coming vehicles. Dave and Ewen, how many lumens is your lightbar and do you get drivers flashing their lights at you? Thanks

· Registered
154 Posts
Just took delivery of Baja Designs squadron pro. Waiting on Power Distribution Module and the install will begin. Update and photos when done. Love the Baja Designs product as I have the squadron pro on my CRF 450x and they really light up the night. Cornering visibility in the darkest of nights is really important and baja covers the corners, mid range and a spot down the trail so you can see whats coming.

· Registered
19 Posts
I looked at all the options and went with Clearwater Lights. They are a little more than the others, but the install was a piece of cake and they have two different mounting options. I opted for the bar mount. It comes with an auxiliary light switch that looks like it came with the bike.

· Registered
800 Posts
I changed my front DRL under the headlights to these cheapies from China as I wasn’t quite happy with the location being too near the headlight as I think this new setup stands out more. So far they’ve been spot on ! >:)

Attachments

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.