Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm running a set of PIAA 3.5" LED lights mounted to Heed crash bars. They work really well.
Did you use the wiring harness that came with the PIAA set?
I also bought the PIAA lights, but want to use it with the Honda OEM switch and also connect it to the dash so that the fog light icon is on when the PIAAs are on. Bought the switch and also the Eastern Beaver front power splitter that is widely recommended here. But I am not sure how to do the wiring when using the Honda OEM switch – e.g. where to connect the switch control positive seen on the PIAA wiring diagram (Honda OEM switch has only 2 wires).

Any help greatly appreciated (it's my first time dealing with motorcycle electronics).

Attachments

· Registered
335 Posts
Did you use the wiring harness that came with the PIAA set?
I also bought the PIAA lights, but want to use it with the Honda OEM switch and also connect it to the dash so that the fog light icon is on when the PIAAs are on. Bought the switch and also the Eastern Beaver front power splitter that is widely recommended here. But I am not sure how to do the wiring when using the Honda OEM switch – e.g. where to connect the switch control positive seen on the PIAA wiring diagram (Honda OEM switch has only 2 wires).

Any help greatly appreciated (it's my first time dealing with motorcycle electronics).
Below is another option you can consider, or at least possibly see the wiring that was used to connect everything. This is an extract from a previous post of mine on my thread "My AT and Accessories". https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/africa-twin/africa-twin-wiring-loom-for-lights/ is the product I refer to below that I used. If you resell the switch and the power splitter you have you can buy then and then you don't need to worry about the electrics at all!.

"The wiring loom was plug and play to the front option connector. Comes with a splitter with another 4p connector, 2 push ons for 12v socket, 2x2p connectors for aux lights, fuse and relay. Bit fiddly to fit everything behind the front fairing but all worked out after some thinking. Managed to put the fuse and relay behind the 12v socket area so any fuse replacement with only require removing the left side fairing. The 2p connectors were fed through to the back and come out on top of the back part of the headlights. From there it's easy to run the wires from the acerbis leds . Got the loom from Adventure Bike shop, £60. So very good value when you consider Honda's charge for the front option connector, splitter and fog light switch. "

· Registered
171 Posts
I did use the factory PIAA harness and connected the ignition source wire to the connector under the seat. I also used the factory PIAA switch and mounted it to the controls on the grip.

· Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,427 Posts
Two sets of Rigid Industries- one set amber/wide & one set white spot - ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE LIGHTS!!
And a set of led trail lights mounted on the handlebars...

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi interested in your advice here, im a new AT Owner and plan on adding a few bits along the way. You mention your wiring, but wondered if you can elaberate a bit for me?
Im looking at adding GPS power, USB socket in the factory blanked location and , maybe driving lights like yours. Did you power it all from the socket hidden behind the dash?
Is there a simple wiring diagram you could produce for me?
Many thanks

· Registered
450 Posts
Hi interested in your advice here, im a new AT Owner and plan on adding a few bits along the way. You mention your wiring, but wondered if you can elaberate a bit for me?
Im looking at adding GPS power, USB socket in the factory blanked location and , maybe driving lights like yours. Did you power it all from the socket hidden behind the dash?
Is there a simple wiring diagram you could produce for me?
Many thanks
Look here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/201-electronics/32267-my2018-front-accessory-wiring.html

· Registered
13 Posts
In a slightly different direction..

I have the OEM Honda LED spotlights, currently mounted to Honda bars.
I have bought some HEED bars...

Has anyone else mounted their OEM lights using new brackets now as you can't mount direct to the bars?

Any tips? Either a modification to the Honda bracket or other suggestions?

· Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
57 Posts
yours is fairing mounted by the looks???

mine is mounted on the forks... it did just go tink until i swapped the bolts to the top and made a small tweak to the bend in the bracket.. resulted in light being 35mm further back 25 mm higher and absolutely no chance of fowling the mudguard ..

tested on saturday night on a local 4x4 playground in the pitch black ... in the slow and hard to see the headlight projecting forward and the spotty was looking wherever i pointed the handle bars ... awesome for in the ruts and rocky sections ..
Where did you get your brackets to mount them to your forks? Also and pictures? Thanks.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.